Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Last night got lazy. Split a Turkish chicken and rice meal with wife. Not very Hungary couldn't be bothered cooking.

IMG_20220123_192822.jpg

But I've more or less perfected my spicy garlic chicken. Jalapeno poppers and throw in a few nuts to roast and they're stirred into a salad.

IMG_20220122_180930.jpg

Marinated in bbq sauce garlic, paprika and chilli Peri Peri and a dash of olive oil. Coated in a store bought coatng.

Plan is a chicken falafel pita meal tonight.
IMG_20220124_135510.jpg
Syrian falafel (lunch today with pizza Saj) and some of Abdals shatta sauce.

Ok I may be more than a little partial to Arabic and Turkish type/inspired food.

Bought a smokey hummus and a caramalized onion hummus at the supermarket. Two different hummus not both smokey and c.onion.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Some sorta loaf? MiL made ginger loaf we ate camping. Beautiful.
It is cake, but I use a loaf pan because circular pans are more of a pain to use and clean. (I have a larger pan, but I need to make two pounds or more, this one is better for the pound I usually bake) I suck at actual bread making, my wrists can't take it it seems.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I cooked pork steaks with my now essential Longhorn's seasoning. I tried something different this time. I put margarine on the steaks before putting the seasoning on. It changed my world. The meal was a bright spot in a really crappy day. I cooked the steaks in the oven. I used the juices from it to sauté some mushrooms. Cooked some green beans. It was excellent.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I cooked pork steaks with my now essential Longhorn's seasoning. I tried something different this time. I put margarine on the steaks before putting the seasoning on. It changed my world. The meal was a bright spot in a really crappy day. I cooked the steaks in the oven. I used the juices from it to sauté some mushrooms. Cooked some green beans. It was excellent.
While I’ve often cooked steaks in butter, I’ve found that cooking with oil, then dressing the steaks with butter as they rest on the plate before serving kicks things up a notch. I don’t know if it’s purely psychological, but it seems more…decadent eating a steak with a pat or ball of slowly melting butter on top. And it seems like you get a bigger flavor punch.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
In the past I would throw them in a pan or on the grill sans oil or butter. I'll try oil next time. Fat is a flavor enhancer. I don't know if that's psychological or gastronomy? It just seems to work. I think that's why bacon, beyond being a trendy meme, is so loved. The fat and the salt combine to create a great flavor.

Zardnaar

Legend
It is cake, but I use a loaf pan because circular pans are more of a pain to use and clean. (I have a larger pan, but I need to make two pounds or more, this one is better for the pound I usually bake) I suck at actual bread making, my wrists can't take it it seems.

I cheat and use a bread maker.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In the past I would throw them in a pan or on the grill sans oil or butter. I'll try oil next time. Fat is a flavor enhancer. I don't know if that's psychological or gastronomy? It just seems to work. I think that's why bacon, beyond being a trendy meme, is so loved. The fat and the salt combine to create a great flavor.
Fat carries a LOT of flavor. It also affects texture. And in certain circumstances, it is crucial to the physics of the way something cooks.

Zardnaar

Legend
Fat carries a LOT of flavor. It also affects texture. And in certain circumstances, it is crucial to the physics of the way something cooks.

Those really good fish places use fat. Terrible for you. Hence why I eat fish 1-3 times per year. Most places use canola oil.

Last edited:

Remove ads