Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Verdict?

Friday night hear and eat. Last of those pies from the 7 hour drive. Corned beef and mustard. Bit salty for my taste.

View attachment 274514
On our pizzas? Good as always. They’re a known quantity.

I think I’ve mentioned them before- it’s an Indian-owned & operated Italian takeout place. They’re not the best pizzas around, but they’re definitely in our top 5, and much closer than any of the others we love.

The BEST one is owned by a Sicilian immigrant who actually imports some of her stuff from her relatives in the old country. But her place is also the farthest away. 🤷🏾

Zardnaar

Legend
On our pizzas? Good as always. They’re a known quantity.

I think I’ve mentioned them before- it’s an Indian-owned & operated Italian takeout place. They’re not the best pizzas around, but they’re definitely in our top 5, and much closer than any of the others we love.

The BEST one is owned by a Sicilian immigrant who actually imports some of her stuff from her relatives in the old country. But her place is also the farthest away. 🤷🏾

We don't always go to the "best" places. Convenience or wanting something different.

Wife's a bit different she's addicted to a specific places egg Benedict.

We'll be there Sunday.

Zardnaar

Legend
Chicken bacon waffles with mascarpone at said favorite place.

IMG_20230129_095403.jpg

Nice enough but not really my thing. The American barmaid recommend them she loves them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We don't always go to the "best" places. Convenience or wanting something different.

Wife's a bit different she's addicted to a specific places egg Benedict.

We'll be there Sunday.
Man, I haven’t had Bennies in a couple years! And that’s one of my favorite ways to have eggs.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I can't remember the last time I actually ate breakfast at a public place - I can tell you it was long before Covid, though.
Oh, wait... I think I was driving my father and his girlfriend to a doctor's appointment - that must have been about five years ago. Damn... :cry:

Zardnaar

Legend
Man, I haven’t had Bennies in a couple years! And that’s one of my favorite ways to have eggs.

Wife's prib
I can't remember the last time I actually ate breakfast at a public place - I can tell you it was long before Covid, though.
Oh, wait... I think I was driving my father and his girlfriend to a doctor's appointment - that must have been about five years ago. Damn... :cry:

Heh we still go out just normally quiet times. Sunday morning, Tuesday night type quiet.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I mostly stopped going out to sit-down restaurants after I stopped doing Rocky Horror - going out to breakfast at 3am after the show was standard practice, but none of my current friends are the get-together-for-lunch kind of people...

Zardnaar

Legend
UK "we have the greasiest fish and chips".
NZ "hold my beer".

FB_IMG_1675574105706.jpg

2 scoops of chips, two chop suey patties, two onion sausages and 1 NZ hot dog. And a can of watties tomato sauce.

Not my grease bomb.

Chop suey patties not really found much north of the Waitaki river apparently.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Every Saturday, my family and I met online over Google and cook a recipe together from the family cookbook. Here's what we did last weekend.

Blackened Yard Bird
(Cajun Chicken)

Ingredients:
one of these:
IMG_20230204_103436_01.jpg

And this, "The Potion":
20230204_105410.jpg

The first photo is a 5-pound whole fryer, which has been spatchcocked.
The second photo is a blend of:
  • 1 part (by volume) salt
  • 1 part celery seed
  • 1 part MSG
  • 1 part black peppercorns
  • 1 part onion powder
  • 2 parts cumin seed
  • 2 parts cayenne pepper
  • 2 parts dried thyme
  • 4 parts paprika
Grind together until fine. Store in an airtight container.​

Anyway. Rinse the chicken and pat dry, then cover with a clean towel and let it come up to room temperature (about an hour).

Preheat your oven to 400F. Rub the chicken all over, both sides, with bacon drippings (or butter, if you don't dig on swine). Then coat both sides with The Potion, packing it on thick with your hands. Put it on a roasting rack breast-up and cook at 400F for about 35 minutes, or until the internal temp reaches 165F. Serve over rice.

20230204_130758.jpg

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dinner tonight was shrimp over cavitappi with a modified creamy scampi sauce.

9lEMXHe.jpeg

I sautéed a large yellow onion, one bunch of green onion, a head of garlic (minced) in butter and EVOO. The rest of the sauce was a mix of chardonnay, lemon juice, clam juice, a little of the pasta water and shredded parrano cheese.

Seasonings were salt, white pepper, parsley and chive.

The pasta was folded into the sauce while it was boiling. The last step: the raw, peeled shrimp were tossed in the pot with everything else & mixed in thoroughly. The pot was turned off and covered; the shrimp poached in that heat.

Results were very good, but there was still room for improvement. I used parrano out of necessity- a good parmesan replacing 50-100% if it would have been better. The dish could have supported more garlic, and I’m leaning towards at least SOME of it being roasted whole cloves the next time. Mom- not usually a fan of mushrooms- also agreed that some slivered, sautéed white or portobellos would also make a good addition. Finally, adding some lightly sautéed or roasted broccoli florets would have been a nice addition for flavor, color, texture, nutrition…and sauce absorption.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases