Cookin again

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I felt the same way until I tried it. It's not gonna be everyone's cuppa tea, for sure. But if you like Bavarian-style sauerkraut, you might like Apple Cabbage Stew.

Zardnaar

Legend
Raises hand

Love cabbage!

Sick sick puppy. We had boiled cabbage, mashed spud with mince stew.
Even parents on law don't eat that now.

20230221_174728.jpg

20230221_180852.jpg

20230221_180856.jpg

Dinner tonight. Beef schnitzel with peppercorn sauce, sticky date pudding and creme brulee;).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Cabbage can be delicious if handled properly.

One of my favorite things in Asian cuisines is a nice, crispy vegetarian egg roll. My favorites were generally pretty simple: cabbage, onions, carrots, bean sprouts, salt and pepper.

The most common recipe I use when I do cabbage at home is similar. There’s no bean sprouts, and it’s not vegetarian- there’s something like bacon or ham in it- and there’s some butter and chicken broth in the pot. There’s also a little slurry of flour to thicken the pot liquids, trapping your seasonings & nutrients in a glaze on the leaves.

One of our family friends is a retired caterer of Lebanese ancestry. She does cabbage rolls that have a meaty filling similar to the meat-stuffed grape leaves in Greek cuisine.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Reheating pizza in a skillet on medium with a tent of aluminum foil remains the best way to eat leftover pizza and, in the cases of cheap pizza, often produces superior results compared even to when it was first baked.

I will die on this delicious hill.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Reheating pizza in a skillet on medium with a tent of aluminum foil remains the best way to eat leftover pizza and, in the cases of cheap pizza, often produces superior results compared even to when it was first baked.

I will die on this delicious hill.
Yep, fry it in a cast-iron skillet.
  1. Add a small amount of oil to a cast iron skillet.
  2. Get it good and hot.
  3. Put the slice of pizza cheese side down on the skillet.
  4. Fry it until the cheese is melty and lightly crispy around the edges.
  5. Flip the pizza, it should now be crust-side down.
  6. If you want to add more toppings, now's the time.
  7. Cover (or tent with foil, good call) and let it cook until the crust is crispy and everything is heated thru.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
You are more ambitious than me. I just put it in a skillet on on medium heat for 10 minutes (30 minutes for pan pizza) with a tent over it and wander off.

I will try your way next time; it sounds like a definite upgrade.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve tried the pan method, and it works grea….but I prefer using the toaster oven (or oven) instead. I put a couple slices in a (lightly oiled) pie pan for 8 minutes +- at 450degF and it’s like it was just baked.

Remove ads