D&D 4E Core 4E vs. Essentials

thanson02

Explorer
Hey everyone.

I have been having conversations with some of my players in my 4E campaign and they brought some stuff that got me thinking and I wanted to hear your take on this.

In regards to character building in 4E, do you prefer Core 4E (Player Handbooks and Power Books) or do you prefer the Essential Lines (Heroes of the Lost Lands, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, Heroes of Shadow, Elemental Chaos, ect)?

Why do you prefer one over the other?

What are two things that you thought both Core 4E and Essentials did really well?

What are two things that you thought they could have done better with either of them?

And before anyone ask, yes I am collecting data for a project I am working on. :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
I have been having conversations with some of my players in my 4E campaign and they brought some stuff that got me thinking and I wanted to hear your take on this.

In regards to character building in 4E, do you prefer Core 4E (Player Handbooks and Power Books) or do you prefer the Essential Lines (Heroes of the Lost Lands, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, Heroes of Shadow, Elemental Chaos, ect)?
"Core" or, ideally, Core - psionics + HotFw & HotEC, but not the other Hot(mess) books, and the 'Dungeoneers' book, with Kobolds & Goblins as playable races. ;)

Balance, clarity, consistency, playability. Essentials shook things up with minimal playtesting and decreased errata, it introduced issues and didn't fix them. In particular, it built up the wizard outrageously, and created gimped martial classes (OK, not to anything like the degree before or since, but still, disappointing after 4e) in HotFL/K and introduced questionable class content in HoS. It was also really focused on the Heroic Tier, so adventures were thematically screwed up (dimension hopping at 3rd level, fighting an avatar of a deity as an introductory combat at 1st level), and Essentials material badly petered out at the higher levels.

What are two things that you thought both Core 4E and Essentials did really well?
Encounter Balance.
Skill Challenges.

What are two things that you thought they could have done better with either of them?
Feats. Fewer and better thought-out feats. While classes and encounter guidelines in 4e were fairly robustly balanced, Skill Challenges got fixed up to be pretty functional, and even magic items weren't so bad (just a bit less dramatic than in the olden days or 5e), feats were a continuous embarrassment. There were legions of worthless/pointless 'chaff' feats, and enough 'feat taxes' that you might spend the first half of each tier collecting them before getting to make any actual choices. It was one area where 4e might as well have been still 3.5/PF for all the difference there was.
Multi-classing could also have been better. I'm a fan of 3.x/PF/5e MCing, even though I have to admit it's never quite worked as well as it seems it should be able to (mainly, I suppose because the class designs have never been as good in execution as the MC system is in concept). 4e's MCing was a jeckle/hyde juxtaposition of underpowered low-impact, ultra-conservative MC feats paying for power swaps (because 4e classes were so well-balanced, power swaps weren't usually going to be wildly empowering, so paying a feat for the privilege arguably left you at a net loss) and 1e-like 'Hybrids' that sliced classes down the middle and grafted them together, usually with awkward to worthless results, but quite susceptible to applied system mastery.
IMHO, a less over-cautious/over-priced form of power-swapping, (maybe enabled by a Theme rather than a feat?) could have worked more simply and still been balanced.

And before anyone ask, yes I am collecting data for a project I am working on. :)
Good luck.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Definitely core over 'essentials.'

(What a misnomer that is, it's even missing an important non-combat part of the game!)

For pretty much all the reasons Tony mentions -- core design is consistent, which frees me up as DM from having to worry that too many or too few encounters per day will favor at-will or per-day classes. Also, what was with item rarity? I'm not sure what problem they were trying to solve with that, but I never had it. :)

MoutonRustique

Explorer

Important note : I DM almost always. That said, to build characters either for myself or for players, I like have them both : for most I much prefer the "core" (AED) structure. It works, it has options, you can play the fantasy you want, etc, etc. For some players, I'm glad I have the "one button" classes from "essentials" (who the F thought that was a good name... ? o_O)

I know the Essentials classes will keep-up with the others (enough for my groups) and it's good that the "I hit with my axe/blast it with fire" crowd get to have a full class (it's not something I found particularly hard to houserule before, but for some, having it come from a book means something.)

The "core" offer an optic that all characters grow and learn special skills. The other guy with a sword can't do what I just did only a bit weaker (or not even that.)

The Essentials classes felt like they were already built - they felt, to me, exactly like what I do for players that don't want to engage with the mechanics of character building in 4e. "Here's a set of narrow choices."

"Core"
- martial to "other" parity of impact on play (or at least much better)
- pretty much everything worked - and if you found in play that your last choice didn't, you change it easily w/o messing up anything

"Essentials"
- offer "one button characters" : they were something that was missing from the game for a lot of people
- the side-by-side compatibility with what came before (if you mix them up, you can get some weirdness, but, on the whole, not that much)

"Core"
- "at will" could probably have been something you can add to an attack that's situational. This would have allowed the "I hit it with my axe!" w/o having to narrow the options. As many have pointed out, as play progressed, most characters would really have an at-will they used, and another that sort of ... stood there looking awkward.

- the presentation was pretty bad for many... And the "build suggestions" which were almost a full page for only the first level of choices made it seem like a huge "thing" to create a character - as opposed to what could have been one of the most pain-free experiences in character building ever : just try it, it'll most probably work. If you find you don't like it : just change that choice.

"Essentials"
- the NAME! Seriously, that was a bone-headed choice of Deific proportions. I just can't get over it. If you want to kill something, that's the way to go.Note: they are a few things that could have held that label - the Rules Compendium, the Starter Box... But NOT a new PHB! NOOOOO!!!!! What kind of confusing, messed-up tangle of yarn are you trying to create here? What are people supposed to think about a book that's called PHB that's big as it is, that's OLDER, that contains completely different information that's ... not essential? ... o,O ?? So... do I need it? PHB feels like I should need it. Huh... ??? ... Yeah, ok, never mind, I'll try the Pathfinder box instead.

- the resurgence of "complex caster/simple fighter" wasn't great. Plus there were like 3-4 pages of text for each class that felt like they really "imposed" a character concept. The presentation felt more "this is what this is!" vs. "you can use this class to represent a hero that does this, or this, or this character from TV would probably be this, or this"

Last edited:

I disagree with the categorization you've used.

ONLY the softcover material is 'Essentials'. All the hardcover books which came after them (plus I guess BOVD which is admittedly not a hardcover, but its a pretty minor book too) may be 'influenced' by Essentials and often provide options for use WITH Essentials you cannot say that they ARE Essentials material. There's a lot in them that really doesn't relate to Essentials. Also, since the Wizard (Mage) really doesn't follow any specific design concept of Essentials and a LOT of later stuff is wizard options, that kinda means the impact of Essentials in any design sense is even more limited.

Frankly I think 'core' 4e simply offered too many picky little options for players to have to sift through. Its not JUST that there are 1000's of feats and powers (actually 10's of thousands, but who's really counting) but it requires some real delving into the game to see how to accomplish a lot of builds.

E-classes simply got it wrong by going too far in the other direction, where they did go too far as in Slayer. Some classes are not so bad, like the Warpriest stuff, which simply lacks enough options. In essence they simply went too far the other way, and even then failed to do so consistently (where is the simple wizard?).

Post-Essentials material, while uneven, often hit a pretty decent middle point. The HotEC sorcerer variant is pretty nice for instance.

Essentials was both too shallow and too big a set of changes. It abandoned 4e material that should have been extended, fuddled with things that worked fine, and changed things in ways that weren't really improvements for the most part. Where it DID improve, it was too much at the expense of what came before.

In terms of playing them though, I would never try to draw a line. I think if you're working on some sort of 'heatbreaker' then you need to consider ALL the different things that 4e brought to the table, pick and choose, and then bend them to your needs.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
As many have pointed out, as play progressed, most characters would really have an at-will they used, and another that sort of ... stood there looking awkward.

I call that faux versatility (active in play choices killed by out of play choices of specialization)

- the resurgence of "complex caster/simple fighter" wasn't great.

That part just pisses me off to no end...

Last edited:

Imruphel

First Post
I disagree with the categorization you've used. (snip)

Agreed.

I don't break 4E into those two arbitrary and inaccurate groups. I like some of the Essential classes - in particular, the knight, slayer (paired with a warlord), and berserker because I've seen them in play - but I think Essentials was designed to fail which was why it was placed in the hands of a guy who disliked 4E, didn't run his own 4E games, and was probably the only 4E designer whose design work got worse over the life of the edition.

If it had been intended to succeed it would have been in the hands of someone who grokked 4E. And it would have included a full-size player's handbook instead of those small "please don't take me seriously" mini-books.

But I do like the simpler fighter options for certain players. I don't even mind the return of the fighter = simple/wizard = complex paradigm because some players display the same level of personal initiative as a pet rock - they need a simple option.

Jhaelen

First Post

- I vastly prefer Core over Essentials.
- I felt like I wasn't part of the target audience for Essentials: It was meant for players who felt 4e was too complicated and tried to appeal to players who didn't like 4e Core.

- Core 4e:
+ All character classes were built on the same, clean framework.
+ Power stat blocks were mechanically sound, easy to parse.
- Almost completely without 'fluff'.
- Uninspired, tacked-on Rituals.

Essentials:
+ Well, it was nice to have all rules in one smallish, indexed book.
+ The update on the monster manual was welcome, fixing previous math errors (monster damage) and cutting back on annoying conditions.
- 'Dumbed-down' classes.
- Incredible waste of space.

Igwilly

First Post
Agreed.

I don't break 4E into those two arbitrary and inaccurate groups. I like some of the Essential classes - in particular, the knight, slayer (paired with a warlord), and berserker because I've seen them in play - but I think Essentials was designed to fail which was why it was placed in the hands of a guy who disliked 4E, didn't run his own 4E games, and was probably the only 4E designer whose design work got worse over the life of the edition.

If it had been intended to succeed it would have been in the hands of someone who grokked 4E. And it would have included a full-size player's handbook instead of those small "please don't take me seriously" mini-books.

But I do like the simpler fighter options for certain players. I don't even mind the return of the fighter = simple/wizard = complex paradigm because some players display the same level of personal initiative as a pet rock - they need a simple option.

Simple options are good.
However, looking back to that controversy, I inevitably reach the same conclusion as you: it was meant to fail. Basically, 4e was scuttled and then people used the "failure" of the edition as an argument against pretty much every single idea from 4e.
Honestly, the process 5e was created is loathsome to me. The rules themselves are average, but they would not convince me to drop the my favorite game's new edition by themselves. But after the entire process, I simply cannot stand 5e. I won't play or DM, no matter how much "successful" the edition is. To me, it has failed.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to say that somewhere.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think Essentials was designed to fail which was why it was placed in the hands of a guy who disliked 4E, didn't run his own 4E games, and was probably the only 4E designer whose design work got worse over the life of the edition.
Wow, that is harsh. Sugar-coat the truth a little, next time.

Remove ads