• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core Books only or Everything?

How do you Run Your Third Edition Game/Rules Set?

DungeonMaster

First Post
Core only DM.

I use core 3rd edition rules, no "prestige classes" and a single variant (power components) from the DMG.

I'm currently questing for some sort of balanced and impressive 3rd party material because frankly I havn't found any yet.

Spade4u

First Post
I say everything is important, but only use what you need. almost all of my players basically know some magic, I got the Complete Arcane and Tome and Blood manuals with all the other good stuff (PH, DMH, MM).

DragonLancer

Adventurer
As DM I allow the corebooks, whatever setting material I am using at the time, plus a select list of feats, spells, MI's, PrC's and such from other books that I own. I also don't allow anything from a product I don't own myself.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
All available sources, and I encourage players to bring other materials to my attention.

My current campaign has run three sessions; my players and I have employed eleven books. I'm using Conan the Roleplaying Game as my Core, the Iron Kingdoms for firearms rules, d20 Modern for class defense, a mix of Modern, UA and Spycraft for action points, a homebrew action structure, the PHB, OGL Steampunk and Complete Adventurer for PCs' classes, Complete Arcane for a pair of major NPCs, and I just slapped a few templates on a Monster Manual monster.

If I were going to play "Core Only," it would be Modern, Conan or Steampunk. Not that I would... :cool:

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
Count me into the "Whatever you like" crowd. I just tell the seed of the story and let the players guide it along it shape. Small things like the combat rules and the like merely get in the way, I let whichever player is most worried about them bring things up as they go if it matters that much. We're pretty close to freeform, with the character design as a good snapshot of their types of abilities and the rules and dice as loose suggestions of how the "script" for our "tv show" should have been written.

Hodag

First Post
All according to a theme

What I use depends on the campaign. I love Swashbuckling Adventures' and Sovereign Stone D20's magic systems and Arcana Unearthed. I've run Eberron with the Complete Series and Expanded Psi and it worked out fine. I use a lot of homebrew stuff and snag whatever rules fit the circumstances best.

the Jester

Legend
I voted 'core plus medium other'... I don't ban anything based on source, but I heavily evaluate anything before allowing it into my game.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I would basically allow anything at least for a while to try it.
But I have found that my players never want anything outside of the core books.
As as DM the only thing I have used outside the core are Monster books/supplements.
I am open to anything but don't usually bother cracking open a book just to look for a feat/skill for a npc or foe.

InzeladunMaster

First Post
My players tend to be core only (since they only really buy the PH). I, however, will use any and all supplements I have around me to create the perfect villain or villains for each and every game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads