• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core Handbook Errors Discussion

bardon777

Explorer
A typo yes, and not about rules, but a fairly glaring one.

DMG p195-Playing without a DM
"They doesn't need to be the same person."

Pretty sure they mean 'don't' there.

Kraydak

First Post
As uncovered elsewhere, it is virtually impossible to attack objects: in the entire Class chapter, only two powers can target objects (Force Orb and Disintegrate, both Wiz Dailies). Basic Attacks (PHB 287) also don't have objects as legal targets.

While house-ruling that is easy, it (a) shouldn't be necessary and (b) runs into the problem that objects don't have resistance and have feeble numbers of HP (and so walking through walls becomes trivial).

silentounce

First Post
Kraydak said:
As uncovered elsewhere, it is virtually impossible to attack objects: in the entire Class chapter, only two powers can target objects (Force Orb and Disintegrate, both Wiz Dailies). Basic Attacks (PHB 287) also don't have objects as legal targets.

While house-ruling that is easy, it (a) shouldn't be necessary and (b) runs into the problem that objects don't have resistance and have feeble numbers of HP (and so walking through walls becomes trivial).

I refer you to page 65-66 of the DMG; especially, the very first sentence of 66.

Zurai

First Post
I apologize if this has been mentioned before:

In the recommended feats section for the Archer Ranger, it recommends taking the Agile Hunter feat at 1st level.

Problem: Agile Hunter only works when you land a critical hit in melee.

Zsig

Explorer
silentounce said:
I've seen so many comments like this on here. This isn't directed at you, zsig, but why is this okay? The core books should stand on their own. A useless power like this shouldn't have made the core book, simple. This is the problem you get when you start cutting stuff from the core to save for later supplements. If you take a "balanced" system and then separate stuff out for space, you won't have a balanced system until you get those parts back. They probably didn't even notice this because they have access to stuff they've already written but haven't realeased yet. Or, hell, maybe they did know it.

Totally agree with you. I didn't say it is Ok to have it as it is, I just mentioned that it might get useful someday.

burntgerbil

Explorer
P 133
under "Frigid Darkness" it states that it gives combat advantage to all your enemies until end of your next turn.

I am still learning the rules, but I believe it should grant combat advantage to all your allies until EONT.

ALSO Family, there seems to be a lot of fluff in this thread. Is it possible to keep a tally of what errors on what pages of books in your first message so we can see if our error has already been spotted and to aid wotc in determining the errors ?

Last edited:

Family

First Post
Good Idea

I'd be behind someone starting a new thread with an "all crunch" 1st post that is updated every week or so, I'd even nominate it for Sticky Status(tm).

Last edited:

Tharizdun

First Post
in the DMG, the illustrations make Fallcrest look like a typical medieval European town, while the map looks like a typical (dare I say it?) American one. Ik think they should let the illustrator make the map next time, or at least cooperate during the creative process ;)

Underage AOLer

First Post
Family said:
I'd be behind someone starting a new thread with an "all crunch" 1st post that is updated every week or so, I'd even nominate it for Sticky Status(tm).

As it is I'll probabibly wait until the end of the month if no one else does this, just to get the large initial surge out of the way.

Done.

Edit: Also, on page 191 of the DMG under the Doors heading it says, "Refer to page xx in Chapter 4", it should have referenced page 64.

Last edited:

Kraydak

First Post
silentounce said:
I refer you to page 65-66 of the DMG; especially, the very first sentence of 66.

Do you see *anything* that says you can use a power that targets creatures against objects? Including Basic Attacks as powers, the only two powers available to PCs that can target objects are Force Orb and Disintegrate. Thats it. The details on the resolution of attacks against objects are irrelevant if you can't target them in the first place.

Remove ads