CORELINE (D20 Modern/D20 BESM Setting).

kronos182

Adventurer
D20 doesn't really have dismemberment rules... but I think I saw something useful somewhere... else I can whip something like a called shot requiring x damage equal to y percent of target hp. or special critical rules for undead... doesn't deal extra damage but on a natural critical roll a chance to dismember/decapitate.
Oooh... there's a d&d card deck that has stuff for critical hits that can be useful, just need it...

Still a Work In Progress...

"Are you troubled by strange noises in the middle of the night? Do you experience feelings of dread in your basement or attic? Have you or your family ever seen a spook, spectre, or ghost? If the answer is "yes," then don't wait another minute!

Pick up the phone and call! Skilled professionals on call 24 hours a day to serve ALL of your supernatural elimination needs!

We're ready to believe you!"

"At the client's free request, and without inducement other than dire need of services, the undersigned franchise of Ghostbusters International hereby undertakes to perform such services pertaining to the bizarre and supernatural as said undersigned client shall indicate verbally or in writing, and the undersigned client shall promptly pay the franchised agent of Ghostbusters International the agreed-upon sum upon performance of the service.

In pursuit of said service action, the franchised agent may create, cause, invoke, prompt, induce or accidentally perform reasonable actions which cause unreasonable damage to the client's home, furnishings, property, chattels, vehicles, records, papers, family, friends, and/or self, including injury, maiming, dismemberment, death, or loss of confidence or sex drive, for which the client agrees to hold said franchised agent blameless, harmless, irreproachable, without guilt, or intent to perform injury, and without any liability whatsoever, now and at any future date, forever."

--Standard 'Release From Damages' Contract of Ghostbusters International.

(((()))

CORELINE INFORMATION PACKET:

GHOSTBUSTERS INTERNATIONAL

(((())))

For-Hire, Independent Paranormal Investigation, Elimination and Containment.

-Central Offices: New York City, New York (14 N Moore St, New York, NY 10013)
-Regional Offices: Multiple locations throughout the world including all fifty U.S. states, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Japan, Germany, China, Australia, and Russia.
-Majority Stockholders: Egon Spengler, Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Winston Zeddemore, Janine Melnitz and Louis Tully.
-Information:

The Vanishing and the influx of supernatural forces into Earth caused more than a few problems. Murder victims coming back for revenge. Specters representing the bad parts of holidays trying to take over. The occasional zombie. Demons, ghouls...

Keeping them under control is a 24/7 job, and there's never enough people to do it.

The business is booming. Chances for constant research are appearing. The reputation has been built large, becoming one of the top names around. And the money flows.

The Ghostbusters provide various services. The capture (and occasional extermination) of ghosts is understandably their primary method of business, alongside providing information on the paranormal. It has also been hired on multiple investigations and court cases as unbiased experts to test the mental stability, acuity, and power level of paranormal witnesses.

(This is because of a rule of law that has gotten many names, but the street has labeled "The Anita Blake Rule": essentially, the ghost of a murder suspect looks at first sight like it should easily provide an iron-clad testimony, but the reality is that personal bias and lack of knowledge can influence it as much as a living person. It could say that someone performed the deed just because the murdered person believed this someone did it on his final moments, it could be so stupid that it cannot provide any truly useful information... and it's not really uncommon for ghouls to be psychotically vengeful, which makes their use either a seriously dangerous case of entrapment or an equally risky proposition for everybody inside of a courtroom. So it goes without saying that determining that a witness (or a client) won't go all "Grudge" if put on the witness stand is a very important function that has brought a lot of moolah).

CONTAINMENT DETAILS AND THE SHANDOR ISLAND INCIDENT:

The government agreed to provide the Ghostbusters with various contracts (cleaning up old prisons and public landmarks of ghosts and the like), with one condition: the branches could not perform permanent containment of their own.

What this means is that the branches do have Containment Units, but they would be cleared entirely on regular basis and the ghosts would be transported to government-run facilities, which would have multiple fail-safes in place to prevent breaches from occurring.

One of these containment facilities was located on Shandor Island, near the city of New York. Run by GENOM Corporation with oversight by SHIELD, it was the main repository for the ghosts captured all over the state.

The problem then became that GENOM had plans of its own, experimenting with ectoplasmic slime and mass cloning of an Alternate of Shinji Ikiryo (Shinji Ikari with Danny Phantom powers), among other vile things. When heroes attempted to save the kid, the devastation that occurred irreparably compromised the facility, so a new facility was built on upstate New York (specifically on Hudson Valley), without GENOM's involvement (although this facility was visited by the rogue Time Lord known as "The Exile").

RELATIONSHIP WITH FENTON WORKS

Amity Park, Minnesota. A location with very high paranormal activity. The Fenton family has made a name of itself by being very effective at fighting the local ghouls and it's pretty obvious that competition would create unnecessary chaos. Furthermore, their gadgetry was very useful.... even if loaded with bugs.

The stockholders and Jack Fenton made an agreement: Fenton Works would have exclusive franchise rights for Amity Park and the surrounding area (meaning that any Ghostbuster in Amity would be working for Jack Fenton) plus a very fat check for leasing of Fenton equipment and assistance in getting it mass-produced and sold... if Spengler could remove Jack's face from everything and perform some adjusting to the equipment to remove said bugs.

It took a while, but Fenton agreed. Presumably, there were pretty hilarious family shenanigans involved.

As a result, it is not unusual for Ghostbuster teams to carry at least one Fenton Thermos as a back-up trap or using Fenton Specter Deflectors as personal shields.

Last edited:

Lord Zack

Explorer
This actually ties into an adventure idea I've been developing. Basically there's a trade expo for paranormal investigators, with the Ghostbusters and Fenton both in attendance. The PCs are recruited as security, then bad things happen.

I suppose we need some equipment for dealing with ghosts and the like... added to the list.

Yeah, definitely. I know a place where we can find stats for some GB equipment (Mike Tresca's work), but additional gadgets such as the weapons modes from the GB video game, the Fenton gear, and the stuff from the GB remake would need work.

kronos182

Adventurer
Yeah, definitely. I know a place where we can find stats for some GB equipment (Mike Tresca's work), but additional gadgets such as the weapons modes from the GB video game, the Fenton gear, and the stuff from the GB remake would need work.

Got a link for Mike Tresca's stuff? Didn't he also do the Terminator stats?

Never mind. I found it, and the terminator stuff.. and aliens. These terminators are definitely not for low level groups (average terminator ((T-600 and higher)) are at least CR 10, which is pretty accurate in my books), although there are some lower level ones that can introduce a group to the Terminator stuff. However this doesn't include anything from the last 2 Terminator movies or more recent comics.

I'll be reading over the Ghostbuster stuff soon and seeing what's there and what we need to add.

Last edited:

kronos182

Adventurer

Well the basic stuff in Tresca's stuff is pretty useful. If you want to use the stuff in those PDFs for Coreline, you could just post them on deviant art.. and here, as long as you include the links to the original site and credit Tresca. If you don't want to use what's there, let me know and I can come up with something, although I like his stuff.
I'm going through some wikis and other sites for additional ghostbuster equipment. I'm sure I saw a few at least one other series somewhere that had people fighting ghosts and can't remember what they are.
Hey.. with ghosts in Coreline, I can see the ghost touch and similar magical abilities for weapons and armours will be quite in demand.

Back on the WOTC threads, I think I started those rifles from the "Final Fantasy" movie, "The Spirit Within".

Don't recall what I added, but the hand-wave was something about overloading the ghosts' ectoplasm or burning it off or something like that.

Tress's stuff is pretty good (Tresca's stuff, actually, is what made me seek out D20 Modern), although like I said and you guys noticed, there's stuff missing (like for example... what do you guys think could be the difference between an old-school Proton Beam and the stuff from "Extreme"? Obviously that pistol-sized beamer that the girl (Kylie Griffin) packed is smaller and lighter... what could be the trade-off? Shorter range? Don't think there really was one, but imagining "game balance" here... well... maybe it's the Miniaturization Gadget. There's also the newer stuff, like the gear from the video game and films).

There were stuff he did for the RPG Reviewer that is now gone, but was good... some stats for Na'Vi as a D20 race and some alternates for Yautja that looked good...

Remove ads