D&D 5E Could a Sorcerer with a 1 Wizard dip fulfill everything unique about a wizard?

auburn2

Adventurer
What I'm saying is one, the way it is written, and two hardly more limiting than yours. So what if all you can do is sub any energy type for any other energy type. You can still get around almost any resistance that way. All you're losing is cheesing in a slashing damage fireball. Hell, you aren't even losing bludgeoning or piercing damage.
You are losing creativity, flavor, role play and character customization and for no legitimate gaming reason that I can see or that you have offered.

That and their intentional use of the word "appears" is why I am confident my interpretation is correct.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You are losing creativity, flavor, role play and character customization and for no legitimate gaming reason that I can see or that you have offered.
That's a legitimate argument for making a house rule to allow it. Were I in a game with such a house rule, I wouldn't argue against it. I just don't generally argue house rules on the forums.
That and their intentional use of the word "appears" is why I am confident my interpretation is correct.
Damage types don't appear in non-offensive spells, though. References to damage types do, but not the actual damage types.

Dausuul

Legend
Damage types don't appear in non-offensive spells, though. References to damage types do, but not the actual damage types.
Unless the PHB scorches your hands when you look up fireball, the actual damage type does not appear in any spell. There is only ever a reference to a damage type.

jgsugden

Legend
When you cast a wizard spell with a spell slot, you can temporarily replace its damage type with a type that appears in another spell in your spellbook, which magically alters the spell’s formula for this casting only.
RAW - this does absolutely nothing.

Spells do not have Damage Types. Nor do they have formulas, either. Damage has a type, but nothing in any spell tells you that the spell has a damage type. Further, spells have descriptions, but no mechanical formulas. The word formula does not appear in the spellcasting section of the PHB.

The statement might as well say, "When you cast a wizard spell with a spell slot, replace the Flux Capacitor with a widget that appears in another spell in your spellbook, which magically alters the spell's bedazzling for this casting only."

As such, this is entirely up to the DM and player to adjudicate. Personally, I'd allow the broad interpretation.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Unless the PHB scorches your hands when you look up fireball, the actual damage type does not appear in any spell. There is only ever a reference to a damage type.
If it says it DOES a certain type damage, then the damage type appears there. Fireball says it does fire damage, so the damage type fire does in fact appear there. It does not appear in any protection from elements spell, but resistance to damage types do.

jgsugden

Legend
If it says it DOES a certain type damage, then the damage type appears there. Fireball says it does fire damage, so the damage type fire does in fact appear there. It does not appear in any protection from elements spell, but resistance to damage types do.
I agree that the damage type appears in the spells. That tells you what you can "replace with", in my opinion.

However, there is huge ambiguity around what you can actually replace as the ability allows you to replace the damage type of a wizard's spell and spells do not have damage types - only damage has a damage type. Further, the effect is to alter a spell's formula which has no mechanical meaning as it is an undefined concept.

This is up to each DM and wizard until there is errata.

Remove ads