D&D 5E Could Theros and Tasha's Cauldron the way they're going to handle real-world pantheons?

Zardnaar

Legend
That wasn't "Isis". That was most likely "Ishtar/Astarte", the Canaanite fertility goddess Isis was later conflated with. (Even YHWH had a consort named "Asherah" at one stage)

Wouldn't be surprised and it's been a decade or so.

I think Osiris was another major one at various points in time.

They're also reasonably safe to use. Can't accuse them of cultural appropriation to much.

dave2008

Legend
Takhisis and Tiamat both derive from the original "Chromatic Dragon" concept, but they are two fully realised independent deities.
That's fine if that is their origin, but the game equates them as different aspects of the same goddess repeatedly, throughout multiple editions. Officially they are not independent deities.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Tiamat's rivalry with Bahamut completely overshadows her rivalry with Marduk. I don't think they've even acknowledged Marduk as existing since 2e.
He gets a mention (along with the rest of the pantheon) in Sandstorm. His favored weapon is a net, which, while thematically correct, is a horrible option in 3e.

That's fine if that is their origin, but the game equates them as different aspects of the same goddess repeatedly, throughout multiple editions. Officially they are not independent deities.

I'm aware of what some non-DL products have claimed, but the setting that the goddess exists in says otherwise.

Are we going to pretend Eberron's Tiamat is the same as well, despite being an overlord trapped underneath the planet rather a lesser goddess hanging out in Avernus?

Takhisis died, as in a final permanent death (not a copout like the Bloodstone Lands "death" of Tiamat). Cheapening that with the old "she was only an aspect" stretches credulity.

If Paladine(Dragonlance) and Bahamut(Greyhawk) were the same deity, then the dragoborns from 3.5 Races of Dragons could appear in Krynn.

The Egypstian/Mulhorand pantheon is canon in Forgotten Realms, and the Olman/Aztec in Greyhawk.

The pantheons from pre-Islamic middle Orient(Mesopotamian, Sumerian, Babylonian) may interesting potential antagonists, or warlocks' patrons.

Other point is original pantheons can follow and metaplot and evolutionate, for example a deity being killed and replaced with other. The "metaplot" of pantheons from mythology is "frozen".

* Today most of Lovecraftian pantheon is public domain now.

* How to explain it with an example? Do you remember the last Disney's based in public domain characters and not original creationes? Other companies created their own "mockbusters", like Tarzan or Mulan. To avoid this they would rather original characters. Disney broke relations with Mattel when this tried to publish a new doll line, Ever After High, a potential rival for Disney princesses franchise. Sometimes I think Disney wouldn't be very happy if Hasbro creates a cow-cash sci-fi franchise rival for Star Wars.

dave2008

Legend
I'm aware of what some non-DL products have claimed, but the setting that the goddess exists in says otherwise.
From my perspective that doesn't matter. Clearly you believe otherwise. If the overgods (TSR and WotC) of the DL franchise say Tiamat and Takhisis are related and the lesser gods (individual writers I guess) say they aren't, whom should I believe. Typically I'm going with the overgods. It is ultimately their decision after all.
Are we going to pretend Eberron's Tiamat is the same as well, despite being an overlord trapped underneath the planet rather a lesser goddess hanging out in Avernus?
It is all pretend, so yes I would say they are same. Personally I take the one god (or goddess) with many aspects /avatars approach. 2e Faith and Avatars suggested this as well (using Tiamat and Takhisis as an example, though the said you could have it either way).
Takhisis died, as in a final permanent death (not a copout like the Bloodstone Lands "death" of Tiamat). Cheapening that with the old "she was only an aspect" stretches credulity.
For you, but not for me (just the opposite for me actually). In fact, WotC is well within their right to say she never died in DL, that that story is not canon or whatever they want. Also, remember, it is all pretend.

FYI. I just want to clarify I was a big fan of DL when it came out, but I mostly liked original three, the Legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur. I didn't really care for the 2nd series even or never really read anything after that.

PS: I also want to be clear, that I am not trying to denigrate your viewpoint. It is completely valid. As are the one's I referenced. We make the game ours, and we we do so we accept, reject, and modify things as we see fit. That is the correct way to do it!

Last edited:

Remove ads