Coyote & Crow Wins 2023 Diana Jones Award!

Also nominated were a journalist, another TTRPG, a D&D adventure, and a game designer!

IMG_9959.png

The other finalists for this year were:

Linda Codega, a journalist, critic, and game designer focusing on tabletop gaming, for io9 and Gizmodo.

Journeys Through The Radiant Citadel, a Dungeons & Dragons sourcebook, written by Justice Ramin Arman, Dominique Dickey, Ajit A. George, Basheer Ghouse, Alastor Guzman, D. Fox Harrell, T.K. Johnson, Felice Tzehuei Kuan, Surena Marie, Mimi Mondal, Mario Ortegón, Miyuki Jane Pinckard, Pam Punzalan, Erin Roberts, Terry H. Romero, and Stephanie Yoon.

Rosenstrasse, a roleplaying game by Moyra Turkington & Jessica Hammer, published by Unruly Designs.

Cole Wehrle, a game designer, creative director at Leder Games, and co-founder of Wehrlegig Games.

Of the winner, the Diana Jones committee had this to say:

Coyote & Crow is an RPG created by Cherokee designer Connor Alexander. In the game Alexander shrewdly imagines an alternate universe that exists outside of the horrors of colonialism. The game foregrounds the traditions and cultures of Native American people in its world, encouraging players to imagine stories that challenge the Western canon of storytelling that is today ubiquitous in RPGs. Coyote and Crow challenges us to tell different stories with the games we play and encourages us to imagine worlds beyond that which we know. It is a new high-water mark for storytelling in role-playing games and a triumph of imagination in world building.

The Diana Jones award (named after the burned remains of the Indiana Jones RPG) celebrates excellence in gaming. There is one winner every year.

Ghal Maraz

Adventurer
This time, I disagree. The work from Codega almost singlehandedly changed the landscape that was looming on the horizon for the majority of the RPG world, saving whole businesses and careers and giving traction to a sort of unionised, never-seen-before community reaction.
As much as Coyote & Crew can be an outstanding pinnacle in game innovation (and I'm not contesting that), Codega had an incalculable impact on the gaming environment through their reportage. Something I doubt we will ever see again.

This time, I disagree. The work from Codega almost singlehandedly changed the landscape that was looming on the horizon for the majority of the RPG world, saving whole businesses and careers and giving traction to a sort of unionised, never-seen-before community reaction.
As much as Coyote & Crew can be an outstanding pinnacle in game innovation (and I'm not contesting that), Codega had an incalculable impact on the gaming environment through their reportage. Something I doubt we will ever see again.
Well, we'll remember Codega's reporting, that's for sure. All of us were impacted!

Remove ads

Remove ads