Create an O.L.D. Character

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Making PC's seems easy and not too much crunch to cause option paralysis for me! However I have one point, I personally don't like the orangey brown aesthetic, is that going to be the style for the real release or just something you are trialing. Especially the titles are very hard to read in brown and fancy font (like the font tho)

Small personal taste point tho.

Oh, goodness no. This is just my manuscript. The actual product will have layout artists, and art, and all sorts of stuff. It won't even vaguely resemble this.

Oh cool. Trying to make a simulacrum of Garush, my first AD&D PC a Half-orc Ftr/Assassin now.

EDIT: Oh assassin is in the Other list but stats not done yet? :confused:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh cool. Trying to make a simulacrum of Garush, my first AD&D PC a Half-orc Ftr/Assassin now.

EDIT: Oh assassin is in the Other list but stats not done yet? :confused:

Yeah, only the starter, military, magic, and lore traditions are there so far. I haven't written the other ones yet.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For those selecting spell lists for characters, I figure I should explain them.

They come from Elements of Magic, written about a decade ago by @RangerWickett . They're basically a verb-noun freeform system like you may have seen elsewhere, with a point-buy angle to it so you spend magic points (mana, spirit, faith, what-have-you) on enhancements. It's very, very flexible.

Anyhow, the point being - each of those magic traditions lets you choose a spell list at each grade. So you'd look at the lists available to the tradition and select a verb-noun combination. So you'd choose Abjure Fire or Evoke Lightning or Summon Evil or Heal Plant etc. The main point, though, is that the spell list entry in the tradition lets you know what verbs and nouns you can use.

Oh, here's a couple of those missing traditions; initial draft.

othertrad.jpg

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
Awesome!

Just as a quick note, I see "Lore skills" came up a couple of times. Where you see "lore skills" (or artistic, or magical , or whatever) that's the category of skills. It's just quicker than me typing them all out for now, but you choose a lore skill from the category.

I didn't pick up on that at first.

Also, I didn't realize that I could choose the same skill multiple times until I got to the end and the idea of skill ranks was mentioned. I would have probably made some different choices had I realized that earlier.

Question: If a tradition is chosen more than once, do you add the stat modifiers each time? It seems like you do, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I didn't pick up on that at first.

Also, I didn't realize that I could choose the same skill multiple times until I got to the end and the idea of skill ranks was mentioned. I would have probably made some different choices had I realized that earlier.

Question: If a tradition is chosen more than once, do you add the stat modifiers each time? It seems like you do, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Yep. A new skill and all the stat bonuses each time.

MarkB

Legend
I've tried to re-build an old favourite character - Grudnuk, the half-orc paladin.

Race: Orc

Starting tradition: Page - 13 years

Subsequent traditions: Squire - 1 year, Knight - 1 year, Knight - 1 year, Cleric - 6 years

Final ability scores: STR 6, AGI 5, END 4, INT 4, WIL 3, CHA 7, MAG 2, REP 3, GC 4

Skills: Heraldry x2, Bravery, Longsword, Leadership

Starts the game with superior clothing, a lyre, a warhorse and chainmail barding.

Special abilities: Can stand from prone as a free action, maintain a suit of armour, and make a special lance charge while mounted.

Spell lists: Good, Heal Animal, Compel Undead.

I like the result - he's a martial character who fights well mounted and is a natural leader, Charisma is his highest stat, and he has a smattering of magic at his disposal to support his martial skills. The double-Heraldry prerequisite for Knight did weigh rather heavily upon him, though - I'd have liked to put one of those skill ranks into Riding, or doubled up on a weapon skill. I could probably have avoided that by sticking with Squire for three levels instead of taking Knight, foregoing the starting warhorse.

Although I wanted to go with the knightly classes for thematic reasons, it speaks well of the system that I can see at least a couple of other approaches that would give me more-or-less the result I want - for instance, I could see something like Acolyte / Man-At-Arms / Musketeer / Musketeer / Cleric working quite well.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
For what it's worth, going through the process of creating a character made me a lot more interested in the game than I had been before. I knew it was being worked on, but hadn't really paid it any mind. After sitting here for a few minutes and putting together a character, I'm intrigued.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases