Creating Dark Kobolds

Herosmith14

First Post
So, I've been sketching out a homebrew setting for a Campaign that is coming up in a couple months, as part of that I've listing off races and placing them in the world, or deciding they don't fit. One of the various regions of my world is the shadowed lands of Theranos. In basic terms, think of it as a fusion between the Shadowfell and the Underdark, just not underground.

The reason I bring up Theranos, is that it's corrupted landscape has an effect on certain race groups, warping them into shadowed versions over the years. This was originally intended to justify the existence of the Drow, Duegar, etc, plus I think it's a fun world mechanic. I expanded the list of affected creatures to include things like Dragonkin. Dragonborn become a homebrew race I made a while ago, Lizardfolk become Troglodytes, and Kobolds... well that's why I'm here.

See, the thing about the races who are changed by the shadowed lands, is that they all have a more direct link to divine figures than halflings or humans. Elves and other fey creatures are the children of a goddess, Fomorians were empowered by a potion crafted by the gods, etc. In the case of Dragonborn, Lizardfolk, and Kobolds, they were spawned from the spilt blood of The Great Dragon, and, as their empire borders Theranos, they see the warping wrought by exile as a fate worse than death.

Anyways, as I was mulling on this, I realized there wasn't really a creature in the monster manual that I can easily refluff as a degenerated kobold, like I did with the troglodytes. So, I have come to enworld for help creating degenerated kobolds because, beyond the obvious Superior Darkvision, I'm not entirely sure what I could do.

I thank you in advance.

aco175

Legend
You could have the kobolds be the tainted halflings or such. Regular kobolds could become dark kobolds and only the normal ones can be PCs. A 3rd idea to have them turn into dragons and that is where dragons come from in your world.

This will be skirting the letter of RAW a bit (or possibly a lot), but you could have the dark kobolds be half-dragon kobolds (that is fine RAW), but what would work for making them dark is for them to apply the shadow dragon template to them (I am not sure if that is legal via RAW)--dark kobolds may be better at hiding, have resistance to necrotic damage, and have a necrotic breath weapon. If that seems too good, make them blinded if they take fire/lightning/radiant damage (after all, they aren't full dragons, so it would make sense that they get some kind of problem real dragons don't from the shadow dragon template).

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The chapter in Out of the Abyss describing the 'mushroom people' (forget their proper name and currently AFB) might be helpful.
Dark Kobolds like to be in groups, are afraid of being alone; generally avoid fights (because they expect to lose). On the plus side they are fiendishly clever at creating traps and/or small bolt-holes to sneak / scurry through; with time they can create an incredible fortified position in depth. They revere a mythic figure named 'Tucker'.

I second adding shadow dragon template. Being able to hide easier would be a powerful buff for kobolds. Winged kobolds too are a good idea. (I’m here to reinforce everyone else’s great ideas). :)

MarkB

Legend
Slightly wacky alternative: Dark Kobolds are dragon wyrmlings. Regular Kobolds are stunted, deformed wyrmlings who never grow up.

Remove ads