D&D 3E/3.5 Creature Catalog 3.5 Overhaul Project

Shroomy

Adventurer
I've read through the recent thread on the pseudo-undead creatures and I have a couple of ideas.

1. Would it make more sense to have the template make the creatures aberrations? That would automatically give them darkvision 60ft per their MMII description and its fits in with WoTC of "cross-type" templates making the base creature an aberration (like in Savage Species).

2. I wouldn't give them any special abilities such as poison, disease, or special wounding abilities except in the case of the pseudoghast, again per their MMII descriptions.

3. Pseudo-undead that lack natural attacks or weapons should get a slam attack based on size.

4. The pseudo-incorporeal undead should get a higher racial Dex bonus to mimic the deflection bonus the true undead would normally get. I would also give these incorporeal pseudo-undead, some kind of pass without trace ability again per their MMII description.

5. I would definitely give pseudo undead a racial bonus on Disguise checks to pass as undead.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I thought about this some more today and would also add the following:

1. Pseudo-ghouls and ghasts should get a bite and two claw attacks. They should also get the Multiattack feat as a Bonus feat.

2. Pseudo-wights, wraiths, spectres, and vampires should get the slam attack with damage based on size.

3. Pseudo versions of the undead should get ability adjustments in line with the undead creature they are based upon.

4. Pseudo versions of the undead should get the undead creatures Bonus Feats, if any.

5. Pseudo versions of the undead should get the undead creatures natural armor bonus, if any.

6. Pseudo versions of the undead should get the class skills of the base undead creature and any racial bonus to skills that the base undead creature would get.

Last edited:

Shroomy

Adventurer
I threw together a pseudonatural ghoul based on a 1st level goblin warrior (I figure the template could be applied to humanoids, monstrous humanoids, and giants).

Pseudonatural Ghoul Goblin
NE Small Aberration
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60ft, Listen +3, Spot +5
Languages Common, Goblin
---------------------
AC 18 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural, +2 leather armor), touch 14, flat-footed 15
hp 5 (1 HD)
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +1
---------------------
Speed 30ft
Melee +3 bite (1d4+1) and 2 claws +1 (1d3)
---------------------
Abilities Str 13, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 8
Feats Alertness, Multiattack (B)
Skills Balance +5, Climb +3, Disguise -1 (+9 when attempting to appear as ghoul), Hide +9, Jump +3, Move Silently +5.

This template would probably rate a +1 bonus to CR, making this a CR 1/2 creature.

Last edited:

Shroomy

Adventurer
No problem, I was just really, really, really bored at work yesterday. BTW, I don't have the original 1e MMII at home, but if the pseudo-undead had variable HD in that edition, would it make sense to restrict the templates to a minimum number of HD, maybe 1-2 HD less then the undead creature that the pseudo-undead mimics?

Tzeentch

First Post
The 3.0 template gave lots of special abilities to the pseudoundead, whereas in MM2 it was quoted as "However, they lack the special attack forms (paralysis, level drain, etc.) of the undead, though they have normal (6") infravision."

Frankly, the whole concept could be boiled down to a template that gives a few token abilities (such as the infravision) and that's really about it - and even that's really stretching what boils down to "humans that look funny". The rest is just descriptive roleplaying material. This templating a template nonsense is just too much work and doesn't match the original creature description as quoted.

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
i've kind of stalled out on this one for the moment, but i'll come back to it eventually. ;)

i do know where you're coming from. the thing is, to make a template for 3.5 psuedo-undead, to be totally true to the original source... for most of them it really wouldn't be much more than adding darkvision would it? i figured in this case, it couldn't hurt to make them a little more interesting.

Tzeentch

First Post
I agree. I may have sounded a bit harsh in my comment above :heh:

I think the idea is to make these a pretty simple addition and "spice up" what is, really, a pretty lame monster from MM2. Changing the original undead requires a lot of work, even just changing them to aberration:
* Undead have more skill points than aberrations
* Lower hit die
* Different BABs, saves .... :confused:

So in the end it actually requires rebuilding an entire monster. I played with some ideas but none of them were particularly easy to implement in my opinion.

The original writeups implied human or human-like undead (strongly so given the text for pseudo-vampire) so here's my suggestion. It's not as fancy as a template, but it pretty much matches the original writeup and it has its own appeal I think.

Note: Their appearance might be best made a special quality so that GMs are clear that, unless suspicious or tipped off, players will not know they are fakes (which really is their only reason to be used).

PSEUDO-UNDEAD
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d4+2)
Full Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d4+2) and 2 claws +1 melee (1d4+1 plus disease)
Space/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Disease
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 9, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +3, Listen +1, Move Silently +5, Spot +3, Survival +2
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, gang (2-5), or pack (6-11)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Medium) or by character class

Pseudo-undead are foul humanoids that appear disturbingly similar to undead creatures (usually ghouls, vampires, and wights). To all of the normal five senses, these beings appear to be the undead creature they resemble (DC 20 Spot check to tell the difference). To complete the illusion, these creatures often intentionally behave as undead when in the open. Nocturnal by nature, they find the harsh light of the sun intolerable.

All pseudo-undead speak Common.

COMBAT
These humanoids benefit from their appearance by frightening away potential enemies with powers they do not have, and surprising those that attempt to fight them as undead. Pseudo-undead are often found working among evil humans and humanoids, and enjoy using real undead to hide their nature and strike at the most opportune time with their wicked disease-ridden claws.

Disease (Ex): A creature struck by a pseudo-undead's claw attack must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or be infected with a vile flesh-eating bacteria (incubation period 1d6 days, damage 1d4 Con). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Skills: Pseudo-undead receive a +4 racial bonus to Move Silently checks.

PSEUDO-UNDEAD CHARACTERS
Unlikely to be accepted by even the most open-minded communities, the life of an adventuring pseudo-undead is often painful and short.

Pseudo-undead characters possess the following racial traits.
* +4 Strength, –2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, –4 Charisma.
* Medium size.
* A pseudo-undead's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Darkvision out to 90 feet.
* Racial Hit Dice: A pseudo-undead begins with four levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
* Racial Skills: A pseudo-undead's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 7 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Hide and Move Silently. Pseudo-undead have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
* Racial Feats: A pseudo-undead's monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
* +4 natural armor bonus.
* Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and slam (1d4).
* Special Attacks (see above): Disease.
* Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Giant, Goblin, Orc.
* Favored Class: Rogue.
* Level adjustment +1.

Pseudo-undead first appeared in Monster Manual II (1983).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
in reworking the template, we switched it from "turn an undead into a humanoid" to "turn a humanoid into... another humanoid with a few more attributes" ;)

Remove ads