Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

Shade

Monster Junkie
OK, here's the ELH Cat Lord...

Cat Lord, Human Form: Rog 37; CR 39; Medium outsider (lycanthrope, cat); HD 37d6+148; hp 227; Init +14; Spd 60 ft.; AC 58, touch 58, flat-footed 49; Atk +40/+35/+30 melee (1d6+15/15-20, +8 rapier); SA sneak attack +20d6, spell-like abilities, spit, summon felines, curse of lycanthropy; SQ blindsight, DR 15/silver, darkvision 60 ft., defenseive roll, evasion, improved evasion, opportunist, scent, slippery mind, uncanny dodge (+9 against traps), perfect shape control, SR 46; AL N; SV Fort +27, Ref +36, Will +26; Str 20, Dex 29, Con 18, Int 19, Wis 17; Cha 25.
Skills and Feats: Balance +51, Bluff +47, Climb +41, Diplomacy +11, Escape Artist +49, Hide +49, Intimidate +9, Jump +47, Listen +44, Move Silently +49, Search +31, Sense Motive +43, Spot +43, Tumble +51, Use Magic Device +20; Blinding Speed (x3), Combat Reflexes, Dexterous Body, Dexterous Will, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (rapier), Improved Initiative, Improved Sneak Attack, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Lingering Damage, Self-Concealment, Sneak Attack of Opportunity, Superior Inititative, Weapon Finesse (rapier).

Cat Lord, Hybrid or Cat Form: Rog 37; CR 39; Medium outsider (lycanthrope, cat); HD 37d6+222; hp 351; Init +16; Spd 60 ft.; AC 60, touch 60, flat-footed 48; Atk +46/+41/+36 melee (1d6+21/15-20, +8 rapier) or Atk +38 melee (1d8+17 bite) and +36 melee (2d6+8, 2 claws); SA sneak attack +20d6, spell-like abilities, spit, summon felines, curse of lycanthropy; SQ blindsight, DR 15/silver, darkvision 60 ft., defenseive roll, evasion, improved evasion, opportunist, scent, slippery mind, uncanny dodge (+9 against traps), SR 46; AL N; SV Fort +29, Ref +38, Will +26; Str 32, Dex 33, Con 22, Int 19, Wis 17; Cha 25.
Skills and Feats: Balance +53, Bluff +47, Climb +47, Diplomacy +11, Escape Artist +51, Hide +51, Intimidate +9, Jump +53, Listen +47, Move Silently +51, Search +35, Sense Motive +43, Spot +47, Tumble +53, Use Magic Device +20; Blind-Fight, Blinding Speed (x3), Combat Reflexes, Dexterous Body, Dexterous Will, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (rapier), Improved Initiative, Improved Sneak Attack, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Lingering Damage, Multiattack, Power Attack, Self-Concealment, Sneak Attack of Opportunity, Superior Inititative, Weapon Finesse (rapier).

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—astral projection, cure serious wounds, detect evil, detect good, dimension door, displacement, ethereal jaunt, hypnotic pattern, improved invisibility, teleport without error, tongues. Caster level 20th; save DC 17+spell level.

Alternate Form (Su): The Cat Lord can change form as though using the polymorph self spell (though his gear does not change) into a Medium black cat. He can also assume a bipedal hybrid form with prehensile hands and animalistic features. Changing to or from animal or hybrid form is a standard action. Upon assuming either form, the Cat Lord regains hit points as if having rested for a day. When in animal or hybrid form, the Cat Lord gains the use of Blind-Fight, Multiattack, and Power Attack. Likewise, his ability scores change: Str +12, Dex +4, Con +4. See the separate statistics block for the Cat Lord’s abilities while in hybrid (or animal) form.

Spit (Ex): While in hybrid or cat form, the Cat Lord can spit at any foe within 30 feet as a standard action. The spittle is a ranged touch attack. If the spittle strikes a foe, the opponent is blinded as if by the blindness spell. The Cat Lord has the option of dismissing the blindness if he desires.

Summon Felines (Sp): While in hybrid or cat form, the Cat Lord can summon 10d6 domestic cats, 3d6 lions or tigers, or 2d6 dire tigers as a full round action, once per day. The summoned animals arrive at the beginning of the Cat Lord’s following round and are completely loyal to the Cat Lord, as if under the effects of an animal friendship spell cast at 20th level.

Perfect Shape Control (Ex): The Cat Lord never needs to check to control his shape, having automatic full control over his shapeshifting abilities.

Possessions: Whisker (+8 rapier), pink and green ioun stone, gloves of Dexterity +6, cloak of resistance +4, winged boots, ring of freedom of movement, Ring of the Cat Lord.

Ring of the Cat Lord (Major Artifact): This prized item grants the Cat Lord a total of nine true ressurections, each of which occurs in the round following his death.

The Cat Lord, or “Master Cat,” is the purported ruler of felines everywhere, big and small (in fact, some suggest he is a cat deity, although others claim the Cat Lord is a malign creature of evil). Those who truly understand felines know that the Cat Lord is neither good nor evil, but concerned with cat-things alone. To this end, he roams various planes, including the Material Plane.

The Cat Lord appears alternately as a black cat, a black panther, a pale human male with dark hair, or a dar skinned male human, or as a hybrid human-cat sharing traits of both cat and human forms. In human form he always wears black garb with simple gold accessories. Many admire the Cat Lord’s unique style, others envy his artistry, while those who meet him in person are often swayed by his animal magnetism.

Cleon

Legend
OK, here's the ELH Cat Lord...

That's pretty close to the Monster Manual II version. It's missing the original's 90% magic resistance, immunity to psionics, and optional monk abilities but I suspect that isn't enough to allow us to stat up a new version.

Also, since when was "cat" a 3E subtype? :hmm:

I might work one out my own homebrew of the Cat Lord though, purely for personal amusement.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
So the cat lord is a lycanthrope with extra abilities? And too bad we can't do a new conversion just to update that to 3.5 if nothing else.

Cleon

Legend
So the cat lord is a lycanthrope with extra abilities? And too bad we can't do a new conversion just to update that to 3.5 if nothing else.

Hmm, well I'd have just made him an Outsider based on the AD&D versions. Although, come to think of it, Gygax's Gord the Rogue books lend some support for Lycanthropy - Gord turns out to be an offspring of the Cat Lord and, IIRC, ends up becoming a Cat Lord himself in an alternative universe after his version of Greyhawk is destroyed.

Hmm, come to this of it, maybe the ELH Cat Lord is Gord the Rogue - it'll explain why this Cat Lord is an epic level pure Rogue without any Monk levels. Now if there was any mention of him having a Lawful Good clone of the drow elf Eclavdra as a girlfriend it'd clinch it.*

*Yes, that really happens in the books. :angel:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm, straight outsider does seem more appropriate to me, but we could just take appropriate were-animals and boost them if you want.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So, can we actually start statting one of these Animal Lords up?

Let's start with the hawk.

Since this is going to be a big conversion, I'd like to keep the updates in Homebrews. I get too lost keeping track of Working Drafts upthread for complicated critters.

We might as well start with ability scores.

Based on her writeup, I'm thinking low Str, high Dex, average Con. Int (which I for some reason didn't copy into the posts), is Exceptional (15-16) for all animal lords. We could probably just borrow the Cat Lord's mental scores (Int 19, Wis 17, Cha 25) for the others. Comparing a hawk to a cat, it is slightly stronger (3 higher) and more dexterous (2 higher) and the same Constitution wise. Since she was clearly described as not particularly strong, I'll recommend lesser Str than Cat Lord.

So maybe Str 14, Dex 31, Con 18, Int 19, Wis 17, Cha 25?

Remove ads