Cleon

Legend
Here's the stats for a Paragon Dire Hawk, if you're curious:

Paragon Dire Hawk
Medium-Size Animal
Hit Dice: 5d8+110 (150 hp)
Initiative: +13
Speed: 30 ft., fly 240 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 52 (+13 Dex, +12 insight, +12 luck, +5 natural), touch 47, flat-footed 39
BAB/Grapple: +3/+11
Attacks: Claw +41 melee (1d4+28)
Full Attack: 2 claws +41 melee (1d4+28) and bite +36 melee (1d6+24)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Cold resistance 10, damage reduction 10/epic, fast healing 20, fire resistance 10, low-light vision, spell resistance 42
Saves: Fort +24, Ref +27,Will +24
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 37, Con 30, Int 17,Wis 30, Cha 26
Skills: Listen +25, Move Silently +25, Spot +25*
Feats: Alertness, Power Attack (B), Weapon Finesse
Environment: Any forest, hill, plains, and mountains
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement: 5–8 HD (Medium-sized); 9–12 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Not sure I like bloodhawks because they're magical beasts, and these are "animal lords." I did think of them though, actually.

I could see a ton of hawks, a smaller ton of dire hawks, and one paragon dire hawk or something. But maybe that's much stronger than what the cat lord gets.

Cleon

Legend
Not sure I like bloodhawks because they're magical beasts, and these are "animal lords." I did think of them though, actually.

Yes, I didn't fancy including Magical Beasts either.

I could see a ton of hawks, a smaller ton of dire hawks, and one paragon dire hawk or something. But maybe that's much stronger than what the cat lord gets.

Hmm, the ELH Cat Lord has Housecats / Tigers / Dire Tigers.

Dire Tigers are tough and all for their CR of 8, but they're nowhere near a Paragon Hawk.

I know, how about using the Monster Manual II's Legendary Eagle for the top level? They're a lot closer to a Dire Tiger in nastiness.

Then we can make it Hawk / Dire Hawk / Legendary Eagle.

Cleon

Legend
I like this best. We'll need to provide alternative creatures (or greater numbers of lesser creatures) for those without the books in question.

So, shall we use the same numbers as the ELH Cat Lord, e.g. "the Hawk Lord can summon 10d6 hawks, 3d6 dire hawks or giant eagles*, or 2d6 legendary eagles".

*I'm in favour of dropping the giant eagles, but we could use them as a substitute.

Hmm, the CRs are a bit different - Hawk's are CR 1/3, Dire Hawks/Giant Eagles CR 2/4, Legendary Eagles CR 6. The The Cat Lord's minions are Housecats CR 1/4, Lions/Tigers CR 3/4, Dire Tiger CR 8.

For substitute creatures, I guess 12 HD Giant Eagles instead of Legendary Eagles?

Shade

Monster Junkie
For substitute creatures, I guess 12 HD Giant Eagles instead of Legendary Eagles?

Hmm...maybe we should just make it easy on ourselves and say it can summon "x hit dice of avian creatures" or "x hit dice of avians of the animal type".

Cleon

Legend
Hmm...maybe we should just make it easy on ourselves and say it can summon "x hit dice of avian creatures" or "x hit dice of avians of the animal type".

That seems kind of dull...

...and would end up with a lot of Paragon Animals. :p

Cleon

Legend
Considering a paragon creature doesn't gain any additional HD, they aren't that amazing.

A paragon hawk only has 28 hp. ;)

They're pretty amazing compared to a non-paragon version of the animal.

How many regular Hawks do you think it would take to kill a single Paragon Hawk? Those things have Armour Classes in the 50s!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads