• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That could work.

If we make one a rapier of puncturing, that's 50,320 gp. Can we enhance that further?

I had suggested to make the other one a +1 dancing, brilliant energy rapier, but that's 162,320 gp. A bit much.

On the other hand, the total is reasonable. ;)

Cleon

Legend
That could work.

If we make one a rapier of puncturing, that's 50,320 gp. Can we enhance that further?

Since that's equivalent to a +5 enhancement, that means puncturing is equivalent to a +3 enhancement. If we've budgeting ~100k per rapier, that means we can afford another +2 enhancement.

How about making one an +2 axiomatic puncturing rapier and the other an +2 anarchic puncturing rapier?

freyar

The equivalent enhancement isn't the big deal, I think, but I've never heard of the "specific" magic weapons being enhanced except as new "specific" weapons (if then). But maybe it's reasonable to give her unique weapons. Anyone know the rules on this?

Cleon

Legend
The equivalent enhancement isn't the big deal, I think, but I've never heard of the "specific" magic weapons being enhanced except as new "specific" weapons (if then). But maybe it's reasonable to give her unique weapons. Anyone know the rules on this?

Well, mithril chain is a specific magic armor and that's often given additional enhancements.

Anyhow, she's a unique being so I suppose there's no harm in giving her a couple of unique weapons.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well, mithril chain is a specific magic armor and that's often given additional enhancements.

That's a bit different in that it's not a magic item, per se, but a pre-made use of special materials that happens to be in the magic armor section. Still...

Anyhow, she's a unique being so I suppose there's no harm in giving her a couple of unique weapons.

...I agree!

Cleon

Legend
That's a bit different in that it's not a magic item, per se, but a pre-made use of special materials that happens to be in the magic armor section. Still...

...I agree!

Okay, so if we stick to the +2 axiomatic puncturing rapier and a +2 anarchic puncturing rapier, what shall we do with the remaining 200k or so?

Her AC and saves are allright, so how about something Wondrous?

How about a robe of eyes and a cube of force?

freyar

By my figuring, a +2 axiomatic puncturing rapier is approximately a +8 weapon (the puncturing is worth about a +5 including the first enhancement bonus), or 128,000 gp, and the same for the anarchic version. Is about 250,000 gp worth of weapons about right, or will we want more for other items and armor?

Cleon

Legend
By my figuring, a +2 axiomatic puncturing rapier is approximately a +8 weapon (the puncturing is worth about a +5 including the first enhancement bonus), or 128,000 gp, and the same for the anarchic version. Is about 250,000 gp worth of weapons about right, or will we want more for other items and armor?

No, a standard rapier of puncturing already has a +2 enhancement bonus:

SRD said:
Three times per day, this +2 wounding rapier allows the wielder to make a touch attack with the weapon that deals 1d6 points of Constitution damage by draining blood. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the Constitution damage dealt by this weapon.

A standard rapier of puncturing costs 50,320 gp, which is the same as a +5 rapier, of which the +2 wounding has a cost-equivalent to +4. Adding the axiomatic property adds another +2, making it +7.

Hmm, after rereading that a 1d6 Con damage touch attack isn't really all that great, considering she has to give up any physical damage to inflict it and she does 1 Con per hit regularly.

How about giving her a +2 anarchic keen wounding rapier and a +2 axiomatic keen wounding rapier instead?

The Hawk Lady doesn't have Improved Critical (rapier), and that 15-20 critical range is tempting!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads