Credmoore Play by Post

BoudasBrain

First Post
"We cannot give you that which is required for the execution of our duty. IF your cause is just; if you fight for more than yourselves, my sword and shield will help you in that cause. This is the love of the Great Mother and as a Knight Daughter of Chuantea, this is my duty. We may be able to come to some arrangement regarding the road, but should you try to take anything by force, the Great Mother's punishment will be swift."

OOC: I'm thinking this is a Diplomacy followed by an Intimidate to try to cut a deal that doesn't include us giving up our arms.

whardell

Explorer
The banter continues back and forth for a bit before the man calls out into the woods, "Boys this appears to be taking a bit longer than anticipated, these knights are awfully wordy." Muffled chuckles come from the surroundings before several other men and women come slowly out of the woods. None appear threatening at this point, in fact they pull small camp chairs from out of their packs and take a seat.

[I am making the assumption that you are not going to attack outright at this point, let me know if this is incorrect]

The rough man appears to be a sort of leader but more of a first among equals, he explains the groups situation:

* This group is referred to as the blue hand, they are bandits, in the technical sense.
* The protect the area from threats such as the undead, humanoid tribes, and other beasts.
* They collect road tax from outsiders to help cover the cost of their protection. They quickly point out that they both protect the road and support the villages that maintain it. Their tax is high but not completely unreasonable.
* Out in the wilds they are unable to keep their gear in good condition especially with the increase in monstrous activity. They will buy your goods for normal price, unfortunately they do not have gold so they can only pay in trade goods [Bundles of hides, gathered herbs, carved wooden figures etc]

*They relate that times have been especially tough because in addition to the monsters, other bandit groups have been flocking toward the mountains to join under the banner of someone who calls himself the Wolf Lord.

***I will not presume what you relate to them. Let me know and we will see what happens next

BoudasBrain

First Post
Bouda pulls her non-magical longsword from her saddle bag and says "This sword was forged in the fires of the old empire. Would you accept it in trade for our use of the road?"

If he accepts the offer, Bouda holds the sword out for him to take but before she lets go of it she says "Use it to protect the villages and you will have the Great Mother's love and protection."

If the above is acceptable, Bouda shares what we've learned of the local bandit, undead, etc. attacks and asks if they know the whereabouts of the Warden Kade.

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post
OOC: Blue Hand Group, eh? ... Don't they play Vegas? :)

"I appreciate your efforts in the area, keeping the lands safe for both those you know and those just met. However, I am still not quick to simply hand over our own earned and much needed goods to our own detriment. Will you be near when the beasts are breathing down our neck? How will we fare short our blades or shields? Nay, your cause is just when viewed through ruby lenses, but ours is as well. How can we come to a favorable conclusion for both our parties?"

<aside to Bouda> "Bouda, I applaud your offer to our hosts, but I worry it will not appease their desires. They look to make sport of this and I worry it may come to a fight. Be ready to fly should the need arise."

BoudasBrain

First Post
<answering Xaal> "I have to give them the chance to do the right thing, but be assured, I am prepared for the event that they do the wrong thing."

OOC: Waiting on bandits. I hope to have more consistent access to the internet by tomorrow.

whardell

Explorer
Heh. This lots got some guts eh boys?. You seem like upright folks ready to fight some honest folk... well honest enough folk to be on yer way. What's say we compromise you help us get the gear we need, we waive our usual fee?

* they want you to reclaim a shipment of dwarven arms that one of the other bandit groups stole from them. They believe the group to be on the other side of the river. Probably in part of the same cave system you are already bent on exploring.

* to be clear its obvious these dwarven arms are stolen property in the first place.

If you agree you can proceed otherwise roll init.

larryfinnjr

First Post
I'm willing to help honest folk. Just need a description of what's gone missing. How far are we from the caves? Any description on what the other group is made of or why they took Blue Hand's stuff?

After answering, feel free to move the story along.

whardell

Explorer
* Missing Items - a crate of Dwarven Steel Weapons, mostly axes and short swords. All would bear the mark of the same dwarven smith.

* Caves are the same distance as the lair you were seeking more or less.

* The group that took them was another bandit group, of a less honest variety. They are called the Followers of the Ghost path. They are led by a man who claims to have trained in the dwarven assassin traditions.

In the interest of moving the plot a bit...

You continue on, you have a few run ins with local wildlife but nothing serious.

You meet with Warden Kade somewhere along the road, he looks exhausted, the increase in monstrous activity coupled with the bandits has been running him ragged. He is in the process of trying to convince some of the more isolated thorpes to band together and stay temporarily in one of the villages for protection.

He has a "dark feeling" that all of this activity is tied together, assuming you relate the troubles of the elves, he nods his head knowingly and feels this is further proof. He suggests that after you deal with your mission you swing back through after he has had a chance to talk with an old friend of a more arcane bent. He hopes that together he and his friend can determine what the heck is making the area so deadly recently.

He calls in a favor with a river boat captain he knows, the captain relates much the same story as you continue to hear. Times are tough everywhere he says, tougher here than most though. In fact had the favor not have been called in he would have sailed closer toward civilization.

If there are any messages you want to send back he will take them. He also has decent stock of gear, I assume you pick up any mundane equipment you might want/need.

You cross the river, and ride toward the cave system. Moon Wolf suggests you scout the area a bit, turns out there are three main entrances to this cave system.

The west entrance seems to be the most direct, it is also the most well traveled. You spot signs of recent humanoid traffic and suspect this entrace is heavily guarded. This is probably the lair of the Ghost Path bandits.

Toward the east is what you suspect was the entrance to the original dragon lair (the size of the exits would support a fairly large creature. You spot tracks that appear to be human sized clawed feet. You also find some reptile scales in the prints.

You almost missed the third entrace in your scouting, it is somewhat between the two main entrances, it is a vertical shaft that drops about 40 feet into the cave system. You see no signs of traffic.

It is a safe bet that all three entrances lead to the same cave system. You can also surmise that attacking once section runs a risk of alerting the other.

Decide:
1) Which entrance to use
2) Your Approach, Stealth, Bravo, other?
3) Moving forward if we run into a dm called for check or a fight that you guys don't really see coming Ill just roll init for you. That way we don't waste a day on something minor.

Any questions?

FYI once you go in it will start a dungeon crawly section which will not have nearly as many discuss/think encounters. It will be pretty crunchy for a bit.

Remove ads