Credmoore Play by Post

whardell

Explorer
The Blue Hand will not assist, they feel they are needed where they are and will not risk the travel across the river to go to the caves.

larryfinnjr

First Post
Anxious to investigate the dragon's cave, Xaal's torn between his original goals and and needs of the locals. Dwarven assassins and Ghost bandits be damned! It seems that the options are limited to just one. We certainly can't risk having these bastards upset our investigation, so to the west I believe lies our path.

Xaal's tired, and frustrated. Not one to deal well with being waylayed and distracted, some bluster and bravado (false or otherwise) rises to the surface. "Bouda, Moon Wolf - I'm not keen on giving these thieves any wide berth. We're not skulks and thieves, we're warriors and knights of the finest cut. Time we test our mettle."

OOC: not quite bravo, but certainly not stealth. interpret as you will.

whardell

Explorer
Having both decided the western cave is your first target you approach with common sense not advertising your presence, but not really going stealth, since really that isn't anyone here's strong suit.

The three of you leave your horses in a clearing not too close, but not too far away. You approach the entrance:

Before you lies a tunnel carved (apparently naturally) from the limestone bedrock. The entrance is about 15' wide, you spot no guards and proceed in. The air is warm and wet, you hear drips echoing around the cavern. The tunnel is pretty low, 6-8' but maintains the width as in descends into the earth.

The tunnel starts to curve away from the entrance and soon you find that it is quite dark. Moonwulf pulls out an everburning torch and slips it through a loop in his pack. The torch's ghostly green flame lends an eerie feel to the caverns. [From here forward if there is light the torch will be stowed, if not out unless you instruct Moonwolf otherwise]

As you descend deeper the tunnel widens out, you are at the south end of a cavern that is 40' wide and 60 feet long. Columns (natural) dot the room, there are plenty of stalactites/mites as well. The cavern is lit by several smoky torches that appear to have burned pretty low. You are just at the southern entrance to the room, you see an exit on the north wall, nothing on the west, and the east is blocked from view.

You hear noise coming from the eastern, side of the cave. It takes a moment to place the noise because it is so out of context, but you realize it sounds like a man and woman, apparently the guards are a bit... distracted and have not noticed your approach.

*You could conceivably bypass these two, there is only one other exit the north passage. This would require stealth checks.

*You can also engage in combat, if you take the surprise round you can drop them before they really have a chance to react

Your call

BoudasBrain

First Post
OOC - We should subdue them now so they can't flank us later.

Bouda positions herself to unleash her Divine Radiance prayer immediately after Xaal and Moonwolf charge the two guards.

If Xaal or Moonwolf are in the blast, they gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls until the end of my next turn.

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post
OOC: some assumptions:
- we douse the torch
- we wait until the last possible moment to spring our attack
- regardless of init rolls, Bouda delays so as to allow Moon and Xaal to charge and end up in her attack's blast area, if possible (depending on how close the guards get)
- Moon goes for one, Xaal for the other

With back pressed to the stone, the steps of our quarry echo closer and closer.

"No need to kill them outright," he whispers. "Let's try to get some information from them."

With a silent prayer to Boldrei and a nod to his team, he rushes the duo, targeting the nearer one with his khopesh.

[sblock=combat]
move: charge, surprise round -- Xaal's base move is 5...he'll run/charge if needed at -5 hit
attack: conductive defense - if target hits an ally before start of my next turn, target takes 4 add'l lightning dmg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

whardell

Explorer
You rush the pair, by the time they realize they are under attack, the fight is over. With fear in their eyes the guards raise their hands in the air. "Woah Woah! Nesker ain't worth dyin for, nine hells he's hardly worth workin for, in fact..." the guard looks at his mate, looks at you, looks to your swords, and sighs. "Yeah I'm pretty sure we just quit his service if you catch my meaning. Let us leave with our lives, and we will tell you what you need to know to get to him.

OOC: Assuming you accept this offer.

* "Here's a rough map, there's lots of twists and turns and I've not got a head for Maps, but it should do ya"

* "Me and her, we used to be part of the Silver Talents (a term for Silver Piece from Or'Lu) when Nesker and his blokes show'd up it was his way or well, it was just his way. He let us work for him, but he always gives us the crud jobs like guarding entrance while the rest of them work on the ritual. We find ways to keep entertained though" ::chuckle::

* What ritual, oh yeah right you dont know, apparently Nesker is some dwarf trained assassin, wants to bind all his soldiers with spirits from the, err "Fay Night?" Thats not quite right, but its something like that. Only his most trusted men are going through with the ritual, hes got the rest of us doing other things, I know he sent a big group off to the mainland, not sure what for though...

*The girl pipes in "I heard one of Nesker's men talking about some kind of power ally in the deeper caves, one with a connection to the force he is wanting to tap. Apparently Nesker is excited because this force did something the elves recently, and that was "a sign that the prophecy was coming to pass"

*There are two main paths to Nesker, the direct route through several more check points, and the other route which let me tell you is not a fun hike, you'll squeeze, you'll get wet, but if you don't fall and die, you'll pop out right in the middle of the ritual.

OOC: You know the following regarding what you just heard.
-Silver Talents, a decent group of bandits, modeled after the Gold Legion (a very famous merc group out of Or'Lu)
-Nesker - Dwarven for Ghost Spirit.
-Dwarven assassin clans are rumored to fold shadow essence into their souls granting them terrible powers.

OOC: Give me Arcana, History, and or Religion Checks. Decide whether you want to straight shot through the cave that is well guarded or the challenging route that isn't. Ask any questions you have.

BoudasBrain

First Post
"This armor is not the best for climbing or swimming in. I think we may need to take the direct route."

OOC - A 1 and a 2! Wow, Bouda is really concerned about having to swim in plate armor.

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post
"Agree - I'm feeling rather agitated and bold at the moment, and I'm not interested in drowning before we meet our quarry. The direct route it is."

whardell

Explorer
Neither of you can make any further guesses at anything you have learned and you are all ready to go straight for the bandits.

You push deeper into the caverns, the dripping sounds of water are soon replaced by a faint chanting that echoes off the walls. Though you cannot make out the words, you know the dread feeling in the pit of your stomach. This is magic, dark magic. Soon you catch the faint smell of Brimstone, mixed with something earthy and rotting.

You round the corner that the map suggests will drop you right into the front of the bandits lair. The map proves true.

The cavern is wide, deep, and surprisingly level. You are standing at the southern edge and the only other exit appears to be a large low tunnel to the north. Between you and the exit is a small pool of, what appears to be, bubbling tar. The chanting comes from further down the tunnel to the north. Surrounding the pool are Five human men, the centermost, obviously the leader seems to have a misty aura and a faint green glow behind his eyes. As you enter the cave a shape emerges from the center of the pool, it appears to be some kind of Demon or Devil, with pinkish skin that oozes the same tar as the pool. It looks at you, "You are too late to stop us, the Cudgel walks the world and the Iron Tower will reign!"

This would be a roll initiative situation.

Remove ads