Credmoore Play by Post

larryfinnjr

First Post
because "knowing the path is not the same as walking the path."

Sounds very Zerth! Xaal also cannot escape the timliness of crossing paths with Moonwolf. He believes it is likely that without him, in fact without all 3 of us, we would be unable to find what we seek if we had been merely 2 or 1.

Can't wait to see what lies ahead.............

whardell

Explorer
Some reminders:

I had to go dig up the old email trail to figure out where all this information was but as a reminder:

There were three dragons supposedly slain or defeated by GE.
-The Black Hakra lived in the swamps
-The Green Nefaustus the forests
-The Red Anandak lived in the mountains.

It is believed that there will be enough information at any of these lairs (which were used as bases of operations in subsequent adventures by GE) to point you toward the site of the warrior's actual keep.

The area has been facing fairly tough opposition in recent past.

-Undead - Forest
-Bandits - Mountains
-Ratmen - Swamp

Your adventure has already uncovered
- a possible link between the Ratmen and the Undead in the Dungeon of Graves
- a possible root cause of the undead in the forest (The Mist that crawls and the tear in the veil between the prime, the shadowfell, and the feywild)

The elves had been keeping the issues in check in the forest but with the valley now cut off you can no longer count on their regular patrols.
- As a side note to this, there may be a patrol that is already out here that will be unable to return.

Anticipated Threats:
Undead as well as wild animals and other beasts.
Bandit activity is possible nearer to the lair.
You will have to contend with the Iron River which runs high this time of year.

whardell

Explorer
Moon Wolf's thoughts regarding destiny/fate bringing you here.

"It is often this way in the stories my old man used to tell, a bunch of lads and lasses all minding there own when Bam! here comes destiny and they are suddenly on an adventure. I never paid it much mind, seemed like good for storybooks but not so much for you know, the actual thing." He sips from his waterskin and contemplates.

"I can't thank you enough for pulling me out of it back there, I guess I'm not the one man battalion I thought I was... Whether or not it was destiny, and I'm not sure it was mind you, I owe you both and you can count on that like dwarven steel."

After that (which is quite longwinded for the Mul) He keeps his conversations more brief.

His contributions:

He thought to link up with an old acquaintance, Warden Kade to get a feel for the dangers in the area before pressing on. [Kade is pretty similar to a sheriff/postman rides the trails bringing news, mail, and justice. He also makes sure all the little villages and thorpes get at least a little militia training]

He planned on crossing the Iron River by way of boat chartered out of one of the river villages.

Thats as far forward as he thought.

larryfinnjr

First Post
Well given that Moonwolf knows someone in the area, it seems prudent to seek out / wait for Kade while making our way to a river village to see about chartering a boat...

Not sure what else to add at this point, so will wait for Bouda and/or Whardell.

BoudasBrain

First Post
OOC: Emails stopped again. Sorry for the delay.

It will be good to compare notes with Warden Kade about the local threats and the level of preparedness in the local villages.

whardell

Explorer
Ditto on the emails stopping.

All in agreement to catch up with Kade to confirm threats and happenings you set off toward the nearest settlement, a small thorpe that isn't so much as a dot on most maps.

The locals advise that it has been some time since they saw the Warden, they last heard he was off trying to gather up a few tough wilderness types to address the growing bandit problem. They assume since the bandit attacks have dropped off recently he was successful. There really isn't any reason to stay the night nor any place to stay if there was. You continue on your path.

Toward the middle of the next day, you encounter a rugged looking man on the path before you. His grizzled look speaks to his time in the wilds and his worn weapons and leather armor suggest a martial calling. His only identification is a blue handprint painted over the center of his chest-piece.

- This is not a symbol either of you recognizes at first glance, you may roll history, streetwise, if you want more info.

As you approach he calls out, "Well now, don't often see knights in this part, or half-dwarves with big hammers. You will be needing to pay me the road tax to keep using this here road, and I'll be buyin some of that gear off ya"

The man seems casual not coiled and ready for a fight. You do notice that his weapons sit loose in their scabbards and have no doubt the man could be armed in the blink of an eye.

larryfinnjr

First Post
History check first to see if I can identify the blue hand print...

"Nor does one often find a taxman on the roads this far from the city. Unfortunately, this gear is not for sale; we would, however, possibly be willing to barter for information. For starters, I would know the meaning of the handprint on your chest. This sigil here upon my shield, lest you not be aware, makes me a Knight of the Towers. What say you?"

Diplomacy check to see if the man stands down. Perception check to take a look around for potential hiding places/hidden backup.

Last edited:

BoudasBrain

First Post
Bouda tries to remember any rumors she may have heard about the blue hand print (Streetwise).

Expecting an ambush, Bouda makes a quick check of the surrounding area (Perception).

As Xaal speaks to the brigand, Bouda tries to determine if he is bluffing or just buying time while unseen friends take up position around us (Insight).

whardell

Explorer
History check first to see if I can identify the blue hand print...
- The handprint it self means nothing to you. You know that bandits in this area are typically not well equipped, their gear is generally a mishmash of different styles and qualities. Many of the groups take toward marking themselves in a distinct way. It is very probable that this man is part of a "Blue Hand" bandit group.

"Nor does one often find a taxman on the roads this far from the city. Unfortunately, this gear is not for sale; we would, however, possibly be willing to barter for information. For starters, I would know the meaning of the handprint on your chest. This sigil here upon my shield, lest you not be aware, makes me a Knight of the Towers. What say you?"

Is it so wrong for them as provides a service as to request recompense? As for the gear being for sale, perhaps you did not catch my meaning, we will be commandeering the gear, but we pay you, fairs fair.

The man is not standing down, he appears to not be surprised that you are a knight of the tower.

Both Xaal and Bouda can see several other humanoids hidden about.

Bouda you get the sense that the man is indeed telling the truth, he honestly is intending to tax you for protection and does want to purchase your gear. You get the sense that purchase might not be quite as straight forward as it could be.

Listen m'lord and m'lady, my fight is not with you. You don't want to pay the toll, you can stop using our trail, no problem. But again I will have to insist on the gear, we need it.

Remove ads