D&D 5E criteria for new races to be added to the PHB

dave2008

Legend
I am actually the opposite. I would prefer the PHB be to have only a few races (4-5 max) and then it should soon be followed by (or published at the same time) a "Complete Races" splat book that has all the races. So in the neighborhood of 50-60 races. The PHB is for those you just want to get started, then every option under the sun is in the supplement.

gyor

Legend
I am actually the opposite. I would prefer the PHB be to have only a few races (4-5 max) and then it should soon be followed by (or published at the same time) a "Complete Races" splat book that has all the races. The PHB is for those you just want to get started, then every option under the sun is in the supplement.

Your confusing the purpose of a Beginner Box with the PHB, a core book whose function at least in part is containing elements that are common to many settings, to reduce the need for duplication, as well as acting as a starting point.

So far it's only Aasimar, Shifters, Genasai, Goblins, and Gith, and isn't a huge increase, it's what 10 pages maybe, 12 at most. Peanuts.

gyor

Legend
In the event of 6E introducing a revised PHB, I'd lay decent odds that Goblins might end up included. Not sufficient reason for an alteration to the PHB, though. It didn't take up much space in either Ravnica or Eberron, since the setting fluff for Goblinoids needed to be provided anyway.

I don't expect a retroactive change, I'm thinking more for 5.5e or 6e, just a lesson for the future, to improve effiency and logic.

aco175

Legend
I love playing goblin PCs. Love it. But I wouldn't want them available as a baseline PC race. However, that opinion should be taken with a grain of salt as I don't much like having half-orcs in the PHB as well.

I'm actually in the opposite camp where I do not like to see 'monster' races as PCs. They have always been monsters that are meant to be killed and should be beaten out of most towns not listed as Mos Eisley. I find that the game looses something if the DM needs to shoehorn the plausibility of the game to fit someone wanting to play a monster.

I know some like this and there should be a book allowing it, but not in the PHB where the more traditional races that are looked at as hero races should be. I have played in more one-shots where we all played monsters and the tables were turned, but they were never full campaigns.

dave2008

Legend
Your confusing the purpose of a Beginner Box with the PHB, a core book whose function at least in part is containing elements that are common to many settings, to reduce the need for duplication, as well as acting as a starting point.

So far it's only Aasimar, Shifters, Genasai, Goblins, and Gith, and isn't a huge increase, it's what 10 pages maybe, 12 at most. Peanuts.
No I am not and I don't care about the number of pages. However, I am biased as a DM. I almost never play characters so I generally care less about player content. For me as a DM I would rather the core book had less options and splat books had a lot more.

EDIT: In addition, your complaint is based on the idea of things being printed in multiple locations / multiple times. My argument: Core + 1 for races. It is either printed in core or in 1 splat book, end of story. Simple and clean.

EDIT 2: 2nd option, no races in the PHB. All races in a splat book (I guess it would become a 4th core book). That way all races are in one book.

dave2008

Legend
I don't expect a retroactive change, I'm thinking more for 5.5e or 6e, just a lesson for the future, to improve effiency and logic.
The logical thing from that standpoint is to put all races in a 4th core book. PHB, MM, DMG, & PRG (Player Race Guide). Otherwise someone is always being left out or a 2nd class citizen.

I'm actually in the opposite camp where I do not like to see 'monster' races as PCs. They have always been monsters that are meant to be killed and should be beaten out of most towns not listed as Mos Eisley. I find that the game looses something if the DM needs to shoehorn the plausibility of the game to fit someone wanting to play a monster.

I know some like this and there should be a book allowing it, but not in the PHB where the more traditional races that are looked at as hero races should be. I have played in more one-shots where we all played monsters and the tables were turned, but they were never full campaigns.
Angry Ghaal'dar noises

gyor

Legend
The logical thing from that standpoint is to put all races in a 4th core book. PHB, MM, DMG, & PRG (Player Race Guide). Otherwise someone is always being left out or a 2nd class citizen.

It's not about 1st and 2nd class, it's about reducing duplication.

Remove ads