D&D 5E criteria for new races to be added to the PHB

gyor

Legend
I’d strongly add Goliaths to that list.

Also the idea they’re the same as half-orcs is laughable, to me.

I have considered Goliaths, they are clearly in Forgotten Realms, Nentir Vale as important races, but I can't think of another, maybe Darksun as Half Giants? That is what they did in 4e, they used Goliaths as Darksun Half Giants (which some more main stream sources suggest they might be, half stone giant, half human ,but that is just one if several possible origins).

If so yeah, putting them into the next PHB makes sense.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I prefer the core classic races, personally, and even find Tiefling and Dragonborn "foreign" to my taste. Never played either, have no desire to, and that is the way I feel about all the extra races (goblins, hobs, aasimar, or whatever). Most of those races work best as adversaries and NPCs, if needed at all.

As for a races splatbook, that would be fine. I have nothing against other players wanting to add stuff, but unlike many newer players IME, I prefer a more classic, homogeneous group of PCs.

I find the likelihood of an over-the-top crazy mixture of races adventuring together far-fetched unless the story compels is, such as a group of escaped prisoners or something. For this reason I find much of the 5E art work unappealing. But, to each their own...

My opinion is in the next edition all humanoids should be designed as potential PC races, and with a modular or optional list of racial traits to give more flexibility and avoid to be type-casted in one or two classes (for example stealth and illusory magic for gnomes), something like in Pathfinder.

Goblin being a core race in Pathfinder 2e, might further push the idea that Goblins should be in the PHB.

I certainly find them to be more appealing than Halflings, which often do get overlooked in many other standard fantasy settings that have Dwarves and Elves. I always felt Gnomes had a better identity in D&D over Halflings, as the only settings Halflings ever stood out was Dark Sun and Dragonlance (as the Kender).

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
I much prefer to keep the PHB races list shorter, as well as the class list. The PHB should support new players and veterans. Drowning a new player (or DM) in too many options just increases the difficulty of entering the hobby.

And if you don't think people are turned off by even 5E's PHB complexity... I've got a lot of personal anecdotes to share...

As for my personal preference, I don't think "monster" races should ever be core races to a D&D PHB. You can't "subvert" what is never established and without some structure to the world what's the point in picking one or another races (narratively?) At least until Eberron becomes the default setting!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's not about 1st and 2nd class, it's about reducing duplication.

I don't think they should design products expecting everyone to buy all of them. So, some repetition is okay, in service of those who don't buy everything.

I also don't think they should worry overmuch how many settings a race appears in, when most of those settings are not actively supported.

I'm fine with them keeping the number of races in the PHB down - if you lost the tiefling and dragonborn, I wouldn't mind, but I can see why they are there. And I think adding a huge number of more races would get in the way of the PHB as a basic resource.

So, on the whole... no more races in the PHB. I'm good with what's there.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
The PHB doesn't need to be the intro for players that are completely new to the game, as completely new players should be using http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/DnD_BasicRules_2018.pdf which is free and quite accessible.
Except that it's "hidden" away on the wizard's site and not stocked on the shelves of stores where the casual passerby will see it.

Is there a page in the PHB that points beginners that way? (Don't have my PHB on hand.)

Even the Wizards website (New to the Game!) points you to Find a Store Near You. I mean, it does have a link to the Basic Rules tucked way in at the bottom, but doesn't really bring it to the front.

IF they were a inexpensive paperback rulebook for, say, $10 sitting on the shelf of your local store, then yes. The Beginner's Box and Essentials Kit sorta do and are probably the best entryway to D&D.

But as they are presented at this time, no. To my mind, the Basic Rules do not serve that purpose adequately.

Last edited:

Remove ads