D&D 5E Critical Role Miniatures Coming Soon

Fans of Critical Role will be excited to hear that WizKids will be bringing you a range of pre-painted miniatures based on the world of Exandria (which contains Tal'Dorei and Wildemount). They launch in hobby stores early this year, and include iconic monsters and player characters from the series, including a gargantuan Udaak.

Fans of Critical Role will be excited to hear that WizKids will be bringing you a range of pre-painted miniatures based on the world of Exandria (which contains Tal'Dorei and Wildemount). They launch in hobby stores early this year, and include iconic monsters and player characters from the series, including a gargantuan Udaak.

1042x588-CR-Social-Pt-2-Announcement.png

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
These are pretty expensive sets - MSRP of $50 or $60 bucks. For 8 or 9 figures.
Games Workshop laughs in your general direction. ;)

Seriously, though, comparing them with the D&D pre-painted minis that Wiz Kidz also produces, the D&D starter packs are about $5 per mini (at $24.99 for 5 minis), the blind-packaged booster packs are about $4 per mini ($15.99 for 1 large and 3 medium or small minis). Whereas, the CR minis seems to be around $6.25 to $6.67 per mini. This may be due to the CR minis being produced in smaller numbers than the D&D minis. It's still a bit much, IMO, but it isn't horrible.

Dire Bare

Legend
Personally, I'm curious about Joe Manganiello's home game and wonder if he ever plans to release any sort of products related to it. His character Arkhan the Cruel has already been featured in Descent into Avernus.
Joe has been involved within the "celebriD&D" sphere and WotC's marketing events, and he's involved with a possible Dragonlance script . . . .

But Joe is too busy making real money as a Hollywood actor/writer/producer to take a side venture into a live-streamed game. It's also unlikely that most of his current gaming crew would be interested, despite most of them being Hollywood creatives themselves. Critical Role levels of success are amazing to us in the RPG fandom, but compared to Joe's existing level of Hollywood success . . . small potatoes.

I have no doubt that Manganiello would have a blast running a live-streamed game on the regular, I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Unless Hollywood decides to stop casting him . . .

MGibster

Legend
These are pretty expensive sets - MSRP of $50 or $60 bucks. For 8 or 9 figures. And it isn't like you're getting named individuals in the humanoid boxes - they're generic setting figures. If they'd done an Exandria set in the D&D line with named individuals, and a few more Exandria monsters I might have bought a case... I'll likely pass on these. I might get one of the two monster boxes if I can find it at 1/3 off.
At $60 it comes to $7.50 for each figure which is a competitive price. Most of the Wizkids D&D/Pathfinder miniatures are priced at similar levels.

MGibster

Legend
As a fan of Critical Role this stuff is just getting surreal to me. Their D&D game has turned into Comic Books, TV Shows, D&D Tie-In Products and every kind of merch you can think of.
I'm not a fan of Critical Role (but that doesn't mean I have anything against them), but I did purchase Acquisitions, Inc. because it seemed like a lot of fun. And it was! Good for them. I'm happy for their success and I hope they continue to do well. Most people can only dream about their kind of success when it comes to gaming as a business.

Joe has been involved within the "celebriD&D" sphere and WotC's marketing events, and he's involved with a possible Dragonlance script . . . .

But Joe is too busy making real money as a Hollywood actor/writer/producer to take a side venture into a live-streamed game. It's also unlikely that most of his current gaming crew would be interested, despite most of them being Hollywood creatives themselves. Critical Role levels of success are amazing to us in the RPG fandom, but compared to Joe's existing level of Hollywood success . . . small potatoes.

I have no doubt that Manganiello would have a blast running a live-streamed game on the regular, I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Unless Hollywood decides to stop casting him . . .
That all 100% makes sense. I'd just like to know at least some info about the world Arkhan came from, seeing as he's the only character to appear on Critical Role from another setting.

That all 100% makes sense. I'd just like to know at least some info about the world Arkhan came from, seeing as he's the only character to appear on Critical Role from another setting.

Read Arkhan's backstory carefully and it becomes abundantly clear he is a Takhisis-worshipping draconian "highlord" from Krynn with all the Dragonlance-specific stuff stripped away.

The two artists Joe commissioned for pictures of Arkhan were Larry Elmore and Jeff Easley, for pity's sake!

jgsugden

Legend
Games Workshop laughs in your general direction. ;)

Seriously, though, comparing them with the D&D pre-painted minis that Wiz Kidz also produces, the D&D starter packs are about $5 per mini (at $24.99 for 5 minis), the blind-packaged booster packs are about $4 per mini ($15.99 for 1 large and 3 medium or small minis). Whereas, the CR minis seems to be around $6.25 to $6.67 per mini. This may be due to the CR minis being produced in smaller numbers than the D&D minis. It's still a bit much, IMO, but it isn't horrible.
At $60 it comes to $7.50 for each figure which is a competitive price. Most of the Wizkids D&D/Pathfinder miniatures are priced at similar levels.
If you're paying $6+ for an iconic or really great PC mini, yeah, that isn't too bad. When half of the minis are meant to be townsfolk or backgroud figures.... not so much. A lot of the target audience for these minis already have equivalents for most of the humanoids, meaning that we're really going to get very little use out of them. If the set was filled with the Bright Queen, Avantika, Lucien, Artagan, Essek, Gustav, Vecna, The Briarwoods, etc... I'd have more enthusiasm. Not to mention it would have been good to see at least one member of Vox Machina or the Mighty Nein in each box... The monsters are uniquely Exandria. The PC figures... even the Blood Hunter could be from any campaign (as a Warlock).

I think these will sell and potentially bring in more miniature sales for wizkids. I hope we get the player characters ( I wonder if they cant be made until a contract on the originals runs out?).

Critical role has the whole package
dm knows his stuff and is brilliant running NPCS, running interesting encounters

For the most part the players especially in campaign 2 know their stuff, truly invested in their characters, are all charismatic, work great together plus come up with great ways to use spells/etc

the production/set/directing is far superior to anything else out there. this weekly show is more entertaining than most tv

ive tried the WOTC crew and acquisitions Inc (Acquistions for the most part is a live show at cons and really doesn't take itself seriously :).

Retreater

Legend
I wonder also if the Screen Actors Guild or their agents might be against them doing a side TV show in their free time?

Read Arkhan's backstory carefully and it becomes abundantly clear he is a Takhisis-worshipping draconian "highlord" from Krynn with all the Dragonlance-specific stuff stripped away.

The two artists Joe commissioned for pictures of Arkhan were Larry Elmore and Jeff Easley, for pity's sake!
Huh. Okay, I'm convinced.

Remove ads

Remove ads