Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

AriochQ

Adventurer
There should've been two more individual races besides half elves. A dwarf and a Halfling would've been nice instead.

It was based on the characters they played in Campaign 1, which were brought in from a Pathfinder campaign they were playing before they started streaming. Each of the characters has a pretty strong following, so changing horses in midstream wouldn't really work.

There should've been two more individual races besides half elves. A dwarf and a Halfling would've been nice instead.

It was a home game: just a bunch of nerdy-arse voice actors.... These are the PATHFINDER (explains the gunslinger) characters that they rolled 4d6 drop the lowest, rearrange. They rolled hit points each level. Pike died and was ressurected pre-stream. The real cool thing is there's only one human.

Okay... 1 million in an hour. The next million came two hours later. The third million five hours later. Forth million roughly 12 hours later, or 20 hours into the campaign. At the current rate of doubling, they'll hit 5 million tomorrow morning and 6 million early Saturday. That would be in the ballpark of 9.5 million by April 19th when the project closes. Assuming there's no surge of additional backers following Talks Machina (Tonight) or the Critical Role live stream (Thursday). I'm personally guessing those will each give a small boost, so the project will end at around 10.5 to 11 million.

Definitely sounds reasonable. They had a Q&A stream last night where they mentioned being at Emerald City Comic Con to reveal more info and make a push there, but with how big it hit, there's not likely to be many who would back but haven't heard of it. Maybe it'll kick up the excitement to tip some fence sitters into backing, but, I agree, additional bumps are likely to be small and it should even out into a slower but steady growth like most successful Kickstarters.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Okay... 1 million in an hour. The next million came two hours later. The third million five hours later. Forth million roughly 12 hours later, or 20 hours into the campaign. At the current rate of doubling, they'll hit 5 million tomorrow morning and 6 million early Saturday. That would be in the ballpark of 9.5 million by April 19th when the project closes. Assuming there's no surge of additional backers following Talks Machina (Tonight) or the Critical Role live stream (Thursday). I'm personally guessing those will each give a small boost, so the project will end at around 10.5 to 11 million.

Pretty much every Kickstarter shares the exact same "U-shaped" pattern.

pledge-pattern-graph.png

Attachments

• pledge-pattern-graph.png
    pledge-pattern-graph.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 766

jimmytheccomic

First Post
Question: the streamed game might not be your thing (a sentiment many people share). But what about a scripted adult cartoon that doesn't make use of the D&D rules but is set in a D&D-esque world with D&D-esque characters?

Not the same poster you quoted, but that's where I am. I'm not interested in the streamed game primarily because of the length- nothing against it, there's just other entertainment I'd prefer to spend my time on. I listened to the first hour or so of the second campaign to see if it was a good jumping on thing, and I get why people enjoy it but I doubt I'll listen to more. But I'm SUPER interested in the cartoon.

Maul

Explorer
Ok......I just saw the pledge ticker at 4,000,000+.

This is a great eye opener for WOTC to create a generic Forgotten Realms or companions of the Hall cartoon. Because if some livestream players can generate this kind of cash than just think what some already established best selling novel publishing companies could generate.

The stories are all there just waiting to be turned into animated series.

Too bad this one never took off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ZM1B-wrys

Remove ads

Remove ads