Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

Asgorath

Explorer
I'm wondering if their retconning the dragon character out of the campaign entirely?

An early version of the FAQ said that yes, he would not be appearing in the animation. I just checked it again and this answer has been removed from the list, but I think it's highly likely that this is still the case.

Edit: Wait never mind, I'm just blind:
Will Tiberius appear in The Legend of Vox Machina?

Tiberius will not appear in The Legend of Vox Machina.

I am surprised. I wonder about this could be a revolution in the industry of animation. Cartoon studios could use this to test what titles would be interesting for the public.

akr71

Hero
I am a fan of CR, but at this point I doubt I will support the KS. The $20 I would throw on this could be used to support some other creator who could use the $ more than the CR team needs it. My DMs Guild Wishlist is long enough... as is my Patreon wishlist

I am stoked about The Legend of Vox Machina and I hope their KS continues to climb, though at this point, I hope they consider some add-ons rather than more stretch goals. The campaign is already on the hook for four 22 minute episodes.

In the long run, I would not be surprised for this or something similar to get picked up by Netflix or Amazon Prime. Prime kinda makes more sense to me, given Critical Role's close relationship with D&D Beyond.

Pretty much every Kickstarter shares the exact same "U-shaped" pattern.

View attachment 105227
Normally that’s a safe bet. But a lot of people might be introduced to the Kickstarter after the show on Thursday, so there might be an atypical spike there.

It is true my wild guess didn’t include the tail end of the “u” at the end. So my guess could be higher. But 10-11 million already feels ridiculously high...

Ok......I just saw the pledge ticker at 4,000,000+.

This is a great eye opener for WOTC to create a generic Forgotten Realms or companions of the Hall cartoon. Because if some livestream players can generate this kind of cash than just think what some already established best selling novel publishing companies could generate.

The stories are all there just waiting to be turned into animated series.

Too bad this one never took off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ZM1B-wrys
Could be worse:

[video=youtube;UHrOfJ8_D0o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrOfJ8_D0o[/video]

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Normally that’s a safe bet. But a lot of people might be introduced to the Kickstarter after the show on Thursday, so there might be an atypical spike there.

It is true my wild guess didn’t include the tail end of the “u” at the end. So my guess could be higher. But 10-11 million already feels ridiculously high...

The industry professionals running the show seem to feel $4.3 million is already ridiculous.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
I'm backing at the $10 level mainly because I'm not interested in the perks higher levels, but I do want a copy of this when it comes out.

Remove ads

Remove ads