Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

Okay... 1 million in an hour. The next million came two hours later. The third million five hours later. Forth million roughly 12 hours later, or 20 hours into the campaign. At the current rate of doubling, they'll hit 5 million tomorrow morning and 6 million early Saturday. That would be in the ballpark of 9.5 million by April 19th when the project closes. Assuming there's no surge of additional backers following Talks Machina (Tonight) or the Critical Role live stream (Thursday). I'm personally guessing those will each give a small boost, so the project will end at around 10.5 to 11 million.

This actually was a very accurate prediction... until they announced they would be doing the Briarwoods Arc. That sped it back up again and they wound up hitting $6M Thursday afternoon. It will be very interesting in the next few days to see how the KickTraq data looks on number of backers and amount donated per day. (The "trending" numbers are basically useless, I don't know why they bother showing that.) It might be plateauing rather than doing a full drop-off U-shape, so maybe it seems to have gotten a large bump from the announcement of the Briarwoods.

My personal guess is that whatever they stretch goal they set for concluding the Briarwoods arc ($10M??), one way or another, the Critters will make sure it's funded. But after that, if they follow the show, that gets into the Chroma Conclave, which would be INCREDIBLE to see animated, but far too big to tag onto this. It'd be a great Season 2 or something. :)

All I know is, seeing this animated at all will be great, but if they actually capture Scanlan's "distraction" from the Briarwoods story arc well, it will be an amazing thing of beauty to behold. That was one of the greatest moments of the entire series.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
This actually was a very accurate prediction... until they announced they would be doing the Briarwoods Arc. That sped it back up again and they wound up hitting $6M Thursday afternoon. It will be very interesting in the next few days to see how the KickTraq data looks on number of backers and amount donated per day. (The "trending" numbers are basically useless, I don't know why they bother showing that.) It might be plateauing rather than doing a full drop-off U-shape, so maybe it seems to have gotten a large bump from the announcement of the Briarwoods.
In the Kickstarter Prediction Thread, I predicted they would hit $20,612,408 using that typical "U-shape" graph of several successful Kickstarters. And while I had anticipated surges around the stretch goals, I certainly didn't anticipate one of this magnitude. It's far too early to say for sure, but if I plug today's numbers into the model, I'm too low.

How many backers do you think this kickstarter will get? Most kickstarter backers was a game with 107,000.

Depends on how much of boost the actual game stream starting in 10 minutes gives, I think. It's certainly possible. But that more than double the current number of backers.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
I'm going to go ahead and sound like the sour old bastard I am here. Basically, the "news" here is that some rich and famous people just got substantially richer, and will become even more famous.

Whenever I hear a news headline that amounts to "stupendously popular thing gets a million dollars in less than an hour" my thought is almost always "why am I supposed to be happy about that?".

They got rich and famous in the first place for...streaming themselves playing D&D while being voice actors? Meh. I don't feel like I'm going out a limb when I say I've played better D&D with better D&D players. As a matter of fact, a couple of them were probably better voice actors, too, in spite of that not being their vocation. Is this supposed to be some kind of triumph for the game of D&D or the gaming hobby? Again...meh. What I care about is actually playing D&D. When I walk into a game store and there are eight tables with eight DMs packed with eight or more people each, that's what I care about, and 5th Edition has already done that. I don't think this is going to grow D&D. I think it's going to grow the ranks of non-gamers who lurk on the periphery of the hobby now that it has some social cache, watching streams or whatever.

Are we excited because a D&D related thing is going to maybe be the biggest Kickstarter ever? I guess that I can see being exciting at least a little bit. It's still an obscene amount of money that would help society more if it were put anywhere else, with the exceptions of professional sports and various political lobbies.

I'm just jealous of Critical Role? OBVIOUSLY I'm jealous of Critical Role. Did you read the topic title? They made A MILLION ACTUAL DOLLARS IN AN HOUR. If you're not jealous of that, I think you're probably certifiable.

So they're going to make a D&D cartoon? Again...meh. I'm not 12. That's money that could go towards real things where it's far more sorely needed if nerds weren't throwing it at other nerds to make nerd stuff. There are exceptions, I will admit. If something that I have been a rabid fan of for years is also something I've perceived as a genuine underdog, or underappreciated, then I will climb on the hype train and toot the horn as loudly as possible. The first and last example of that I can think of, off the top of my head, is Delta Green.

Okay, let me also throw in a "bah, humbug!" for good measure and I'm done grinching for the moment. Don't even bother responding to this post. Scrooge McDuck will remove himself from the premises and you can resume your jubilation and fiscal speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads