Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

A

André Soares

They've updated how the series will go:

"So, to recap, here’s what you can expect episode-wise from The Legend of Vox Machina animated SERIES:

Episodes 1 & 2: A brand new story centered around Vox Machina at level 7 (FUNDED!)
Episodes 3, 4, 5, 6: Briarwoods arc! (FUNDED!)
Episodes 7 & 8: Continuation of Briarwoods arc (Stretch goal: $7.5M)
Episodes 9 & 10: Continuation and conclusion of Briarwoods arc"

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
They've updated how the series will go:

"So, to recap, here’s what you can expect episode-wise from The Legend of Vox Machina animated SERIES:

Episodes 1 & 2: A brand new story centered around Vox Machina at level 7 (FUNDED!)
Episodes 3, 4, 5, 6: Briarwoods arc! (FUNDED!)
Episodes 7 & 8: Continuation of Briarwoods arc (Stretch goal: $7.5M)
Episodes 9 & 10: Continuation and conclusion of Briarwoods arc"

I was quite surprised by that actually. But I guess Matt was like “hey the Briarwoords storyline is awesome and popular, so let’s give the people more of what they want!” But it was surprising to see a project reconfigured during the drive.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was quite surprised by that actually. But I guess Matt was like “hey the Briarwoords storyline is awesome and popular, so let’s give the people more of what they want!” But it was surprising to see a project reconfigured during the drive.

They've obviously been scrambling to adjust to the new reality on the ground. Honestly, only having to make up two episodes as an intro and then get on to business makes solid sense.

Themed playing cards will often sell for $15-20 a set. Dice sets will sell for $15-20 a set. Beanies can easily sell for $15-20 ($100 stretch goal includes a beanie, recall), let alone limited run collectibles. Is it priced to afford a comfortable profit to fund the project, yes. But for limited edition swag? Not so bad.

But it really doesn't matter what they sell for. What it matters is what they cost the producer to be manufactured. Playing cards are a dollar a pack in sufficient quantity. Custom dice are a few buck in bulk. Clothing in general is marked up 50-75% normally. In bulk clothing is dirt cheap.

Projects that fund fast sometimes do reconfigure on the fly. It isn't normal. But it isn't really unusual either.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But it really doesn't matter what they sell for. What it matters is what they cost the producer to be manufactured. Playing cards are a dollar a pack in sufficient quantity. Custom dice are a few buck in bulk. Clothing in general is marked up 50-75% normally. In bulk clothing is dirt cheap.

But if Critical Role was selling them in their store, they would not be super-cheap: their merch usually sells for a higher price, due to a brand premium. I'd say due to the exclusive nature, it is a fair cop. To each their own.

$6 million, nearly 44,000 backers and the 15th biggest Kickstarter ever. 42 days to go.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I kinda want this to become the biggest Kickstarter ever. I'm not sure why, or why it makes a difference, but there it is.

gyor

Legend
But if Critical Role was selling them in their store, they would not be super-cheap: their merch usually sells for a higher price, due to a brand premium. I'd say due to the exclusive nature, it is a fair cop. To each their own.

$6 million, nearly 44,000 backers and the 15th biggest Kickstarter ever. 42 days to go.

If they break the 21 million mark they will be the biggest biggest Kickstarter ever.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I kinda want this to become the biggest Kickstarter ever. I'm not sure why, or why it makes a difference, but there it is.

Record breaking is just kind of generally thrilling: kind of funny, but there you go?

Moreso when it is something one enjoys breaking through in the "wider world."

In the store, they call that profit. In the kickstarter, they use it to pay for animation and other costs as outlined in the kickstarter.

Remove ads

Remove ads