• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

Russ Morrissey

Comments

Parmandur

Adventurer
MST3K raised a little more than Veronica Marsh ($5.76M to $5.70M) and about $600,000 outside Kickstarter.

So far that's the most any video/tv/movie Kickstarter has raised. I think MST3K did about $2 million its first day.

EDIT: Am I reading the Kickstarter correctly? Backing it doesn't actually get you a copy of any of the animation.
Then pledges are for the swag, not a copy of the animation, that is correct. Honestly fairly clever, as it leaves them options in terms of negotiating distribution.

jmucchiello

Adventurer
That said 5 million in raised funs seems like a forgone conclusion at this point assuming they don't dry out of rewards and people don't donate just to say they donated to this record.

...We will see.
There are people who will not find out about this kickstarter until tomorrow at 7pm pst when Talks Machina airs or Thursday at 7pm pst when the stream airs again. Not everyone pays attention to twitter or the critical role website (or cnbc or fortune mag's website). There are fans who are in the dark about this who will find out when they next look in on critical role.

Still, I agree $5-6 million is their cap. But I could be wrong.

We will see.

Parmandur

Adventurer
There are people who will not find out about this kickstarter until tomorrow at 7pm pst when Talks Machina airs or Thursday at 7pm pst when the stream airs again. Not everyone pays attention to twitter or the critical role website (or cnbc or fortune mag's website). There are fans who are in the dark about this who will find out when they next look in on critical role.

Still, I agree $5-6 million is their cap. But I could be wrong.

We will see.
I dunno what the "cap" might be, but based on observation of various Kickstarters, the average stays arimd the third or fourth tier pledge, as it currently stands. Considering that hundreds of thousands of folks watch, and they are offering legit, exclusive swag...this could go much higher.

I could never get into CR, I tried the first episode of season 2 and found Matt Mercer's longwindedness and the party's meandering about breakfast and whatnot to be grating

But that said they all seem like wonderful people and I'm REALLY happy for them. :D

mortwatcher

Explorer
The rich get richer.... and good for them. They bring so much publicity to the hobby we love, it can only do us good. And I might finally watch something from critical role. I couldn't get into the main show, but animated shorts are usually a lot of fun to watch in a digestible chunks.

dave2008

Adventurer
MST3K raised a little more than Veronica Marsh ($5.76M to $5.70M) and about $600,000 outside Kickstarter.

So far that's the most any video/tv/movie Kickstarter has raised. I think MST3K did about $2 million its first day.

EDIT: Am I reading the Kickstarter correctly? Backing it doesn't actually get you a copy of any of the animation.
Backers get the first look at the animation before it is released to the general public. The show, as it currently stands, will be free to everyone. The kickstarter is for the money to produce the show (and swag)

John Lynch2

Villager
Not my thing but damn.
Agreed. It's at 3.8 million right now (based on my google conversion of Australian dollars). I expect within a week it will cap out at 5 million with it possibly reaching 10 to 15 million by the end of the backing period. I'd be surprised if it doesn't reach 10 million and I'll be surprised if it surpasses 15 million.

All in all it does look like a very well run kickstarter. It's very up front about the costs and the stretch goals look pretty reasonable. I'd be a bit concerned about the backer rewards as they seem to add up quite quickly to a lot of stuff being sent to the backers. However I'm hopeful that given how professional they've been with everything else that they could get some goodies sorted out properly as well. They look like they've accounted for it which hopefully also means paying wages for someone to put together all of the rewards. So far they've got 4 episodes with no stretch goals beyond 3 million. I expect they'll double check the backer reward costs and the other overheads and then put up some more stretch goals (possibly at 1 million or $750,000 increments instead of $500,000 increments) and then keep chugging along.

BMaC

Explorer
Not my thing either, but I'm happy for any voice actor that can afford dental insurance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Right now it's the #35 biggest ever Kickstarter after less than a day.

The biggest kickstarter ever was Pebble Time, apparently. $20M. Followed by Coolest Cooler at $13M. Kingdom Death is #4, and looks like a tabletop game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded

I reckon Critical Role has a strong chance of getting into the top 3.

AriochQ

Explorer
I didn't make it through season 1, but have managed to keep up with season 2 so far. I have commented previously about how I run into a ton of people under 30 who cite CR as their intro to D&D. When I talk to fellow grognards, most of them have minimized the influence of CR. Just came to say, "Told ya so!" to those doubters lol

Seriously though, great for them! While I sort of straddle the fence (I enjoy the show but find watching people play D&D a little weird) they are a great bunch of people and I have the utmost respect for Matt Mercer's DMing abilities. They are excellent representatives of our hobby. I will definitely throw $20 into this.

Nebulous

Explorer
CR is not something I am interested in watching either, but I wish them success and I might throw some $$ into it as well.

Jester David

Villager
Sure session 2 has 3,833,400 views on the first video however, The back rewards have limits at the higher levels and their is a cap of the number of critters with money to spare. The 1K, 2.5K, 5K, and 10K rewards are gone so I suspect your going to see a massive drop of going forward. They might sell out of the 20K and 25K 5of5 rewards for 225K, but they are going to be limited to only $750, $500, $400, $300, $200, $100, $50, and $20 rewards. As those buy out I think your going to see the average backing value drop dramatically. If they break 6 million I would very surprised but considering that is with a $ 750,000 goal that's nothing to laugh at. They are breaking records all around but they are still way more niche than star citizen with its $200 million in crowd funding from about $1 million backers. They second key here is that backers for star citizens hand basically have unlimited backer prize potential since they create one digital ship and they can let everyone down load it. I am not sure then can actually support the physical prizes with more than 6 million. That said 5 million in raised funs seems like a forgone conclusion at this point assuming they don't dry out of rewards and people don't donate just to say they donated to this record.
Well... 4 million now. 2 million in the next 44 days seems very doable. And the big shows (Talks Machina and the actual CR show) haven't aired this week, and there'll be a surge after those. And as you say, viewership of the first episode is 3,833,400 views, while the most recent episode that just dropped to YouTube a couple days ago is at 144,345 views. But the Kickstarter currently only has 30,000 backers. Less than 10% of the total viewership and a quarter of the people willing to watch the video on YouTube the day it drops. Backership of the KS could easily double or triple. While doubling the backers wouldn't double the money, it will shatter 6 million.

Jester David

Villager
Okay... 1 million in an hour. The next million came two hours later. The third million five hours later. Forth million roughly 12 hours later, or 20 hours into the campaign. At the current rate of doubling, they'll hit 5 million tomorrow morning and 6 million early Saturday. That would be in the ballpark of 9.5 million by April 19th when the project closes. Assuming there's no surge of additional backers following Talks Machina (Tonight) or the Critical Role live stream (Thursday). I'm personally guessing those will each give a small boost, so the project will end at around 10.5 to 11 million.

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

Latest threads

Advertisement