• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Criticise my Grognard d20

Big Mac

Explorer
Reason for not just playing 1E

xp for treasure difficult in 'quasi-mediaeval' setting
initiative etc. bit wooly
d20 looks easier to tweak
felt like a change
the old-school adventure to be used (Starstone) is a sort of drift away from normal 1E AD&D anyway.
dont like C&C

Have you tried OSRIC? That is created from the SRD, but is very similar to AD&D. (Even if you don't want to play OSRIC, you might learn some stuff from it.)

Aus_Snow

First Post
Have you tried OSRIC? That is created from the SRD, but is very similar to AD&D. (Even if you don't want to play OSRIC, you might learn some stuff from it.)
Um, as far as I know, it basically *is* AD&D, with only the absolute minimum required filing off of serial numbers (if any). Nothing to do with the SRD, either. It might use the OGL, but I can't remember for sure, and besides, that really has nothing to do with SRD.

They don't want to use AD&D, therefore. . .

NN

First Post
That is an oldie but goodie. Are you using the "Trouble at Embertrees" as an intro/sidetrek?

Edit: You might look into letting Hobbits take the "Expert" NPC class from UA, maybe to model a "Merchant". You might also think of allowing the Bard class as a Prestige Class for that 1e Old School feel.
Also, watch the access to "Buffs" and "Summonings".

Oh yes, Embertrees will be after a re-worked Longbottom Down. Have you got any Starstone advice? Or homebrewed Ristenby Town?

Remove ads