CRs for Traps and XP

Xarlen

First Post
Ok, here's my situation.

My group are going into an abandoned (well, Overthrown) Guildhouse. It's filled with some nasty traps (Traps and Treachery, Woo!).

There is no rogue in the party, ergo I'm using an NPC.

Do the PCs get any experience for overcoming these traps? Considering how they have to spend healing magics if someone really gets the shaft (Or pit), then it's atleast using up their resources, or using magic to bypass them. So, do they get any sort've xp for dealing with these problems?

Last edited:

Ealli

First Post
Experience is awarded for overcoming challenges. Traps are a challenge designed to kill or maim adventurers. If any of the adventurers survive, they have overcome the challenge of the trap. (Nice for the Challenge Rating to be listed with the traps, at least in the DMG and Song and Silence.)

It is good that you already see that the party is probably using resources to overcome the traps. I personally would be a little wary of having an NPC rogue join the party, I prefer big dumb fighters who aren't expected to do any thinking if I was to put an NPC in.

Xarlen

First Post
I have three players.

A human cleric,
A half-elf Illusionist
Half-Dragon monk (With rather bad stats).

So, they're a little lacking in resources. I have an NPC fighter/ranger, and had to bring along a rogue NPC, since it was plot driven.

Thankfully, the half-dragon's sister, a rogue, will be coming in after this adventure.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
The whole group gets XPs when the rogue disables a trap. This is the same reasoning as the whole group getting XPs when the buffed out fighter does all the killing in a particular encounter.

Remove ads