Crusader Kings III

Zardnaar

Legend
I only wish that my powerful vassals had good stats, too many of them demand a seat on the council while having no stat 10 or above except learning which affects the priest's stats that I have no control over anyway.

Part of vassal management means no powerful vassals.

Basically keep your dukes weak. Counts don't tend to be major problems.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think I need to figure out how to weaken them. I'm not sure how to really knock them down a peg.

Not sure how it works in CKIII. A title is just a title, land matters.

This means that you don't want your dukes to have to much land, you want lots of counts ruled by a duke.

You can ally the loyal/friend dukes via marriages etc.

Some vassals just going to hate your guts due to traits or things like ambitious. Merchant republic vassals also don't like you much. They may have changed that idk.

Get claims on their lands and provoke them into rebellion. Once you win revoke the titles and take the land yourself or give it to more loyal vassals. Or they might have a nicer heir so yeah olde execution might be doable.

Having to many titles may also be a problem. IDK if that's carried through to CK3 but in 2 you any more than two duke titles caused problems.

CK2 got called medival breeding simulator where you try to get positive genetic traits and educate your heirs in positive lifestyle traits.

A highly charismatic/attractive ruler had a comparatively easy rule vs vassals.

A high intrigue one can erm get rid of troublesome vassals.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Not sure how it works in CKIII. A title is just a title, land matters.

This means that you don't want your dukes to have to much land, you want lots of counts ruled by a duke.

You can ally the loyal/friend dukes via marriages etc.

Some vassals just going to hate your guts due to traits or things like ambitious. Merchant republic vassals also don't like you much. They may have changed that idk.

Get claims on their lands and provoke them into rebellion. Once you win revoke the titles and take the land yourself or give it to more loyal vassals. Or they might have a nicer heir so yeah olde execution might be doable.

Having to many titles may also be a problem. IDK if that's carried through to CK3 but in 2 you any more than two duke titles caused problems.

CK2 got called medival breeding simulator where you try to get positive genetic traits and educate your heirs in positive lifestyle traits.

A highly charismatic/attractive ruler had a comparatively easy rule vs vassals.

A high intrigue one can erm get rid of troublesome vassals.
Okay, i might be working it out okay then, I've been making new vassals rather than granting additional titles to my current ones. I might need to check their number of counties and see if I'm giving to many counties to them which bumps up their power too much. When granting duchies, they have to have a county to rule as well, I'm trying to limit it to 1 county per duchy so they don't get too big. Others dukes I think I inherited when I became king so they already had a lot of power.

While I was still a duke of a single duchy, I helped the king in a war. Must have done a good job since he made a whole host of his vassals mine. It was a little crazy when that war ended, i gained an incredible amount of power which I think also helped set me up for taking over the kingdom.

Zardnaar

Legend
Okay, i might be working it out okay then, I've been making new vassals rather than granting additional titles to my current ones. I might need to check their number of counties and see if I'm giving to many counties to them which bumps up their power too much. When granting duchies, they have to have a county to rule as well, I'm trying to limit it to 1 county per duchy so they don't get too big. Others dukes I think I inherited when I became king so they already had a lot of power.

While I was still a duke of a single duchy, I helped the king in a war. Must have done a good job since he made a whole host of his vassals mine. It was a little crazy when that war ended, i gained an incredible amount of power which I think also helped set me up for taking over the kingdom.

Paradox fine tradition of AI stupidity.

I've roleplayed the loyal duke before, basically two adjacent duchy's with a well developed personal demesne.

Spread via marriage only no assassination or conquest. I think my personal domain was more powerful than the rest of the realm put togather.

Not sure if you can play a merchant republic in CK3. Venetian Doge can tell the Byzantine Emperor, Pope, Caliph and the Mongols to kiss his heiny and tell him it smells great and they'll do it.

A powerful Duke can tell the King to get bent.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Paradox fine tradition of AI stupidity.

I've roleplayed the loyal duke before, basically two adjacent duchy's with a well developed personal demesne.

Spread via marriage only no assassination or conquest. I think my personal domain was more powerful than the rest of the realm put togather.

Not sure if you can play a merchant republic in CK3. Venetian Doge can tell the Byzantine Emperor, Pope, Caliph and the Mongols to kiss his heiny and tell him it smells great and they'll do it.

A powerful Duke can tell the King to get bent.
That's actually something that the game warned me about when I tried to tell the former king (now Duke) to stop something, it said he'd likely ask something in return. This is because he's still powerful and he really didn't like me (can't imagine why...). In the end I kept him fighting the war between my vassals because it was weakening someone else that I was about to invade so it worked out well.

Edit: I've no idea if you can play as a merchant currently. Wasn't that a dlc in CK2?

Zardnaar

Legend
That's actually something that the game warned me about when I tried to tell the former king (now Duke) to stop something, it said he'd likely ask something in return. This is because he's still powerful and he really didn't like me (can't imagine why...). In the end I kept him fighting the war between my vassals because it was weakening someone else that I was about to invade so it worked out well.

Edit: I've no idea if you can play as a merchant currently. Wasn't that a dlc in CK2?

Yes I was DLC in CK2. I didn't play to much after EUIV and Stellaris landed so everything after the Old God's and the changes made in not the best at.

I own the DLC, never played in India, as a horse lord and I'm quite bad now playing as Muslim or Viking ruler.

I know the basics of playing as a republic but I can't cheese it like some can.

It's funny being able to recruit 40000 men our of one province plus mercs.

Power of Venice.

Feudal lord ruling in Flanders and Normandy was good, London, Copenhagen, southern France and Italy also good locations.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've been playing this game so much that it is starting to haunt my dreams.

Yesterday, I lost my first duchy (and the county I started in) to Sweden. Had two disastrous wars before I managed to get it back. Also it turns out that at some point someone had gained independence in my realm. I subjugated them and suddenly became king of Novgorod as well as gaining a handful of vassals scattered throughout Europe. My hold on Novgorod is tenuous and I doubt I will be able to hold onto it, when I die the kingdom will go to another due to everyone thinking my good Christian boy is a dirty heathen.

After conquering Iceland, I then started a war with Sweden again to regain my former territory, I think I only succeeded because someone else was at war with them and when they won, I was then at war with them and they were too weak to stop me from taking things back. I'm hoping to conquer the rest of the UK tonight.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've been playing this game so much that it is starting to haunt my dreams.

Yesterday, I lost my first duchy (and the county I started in) to Sweden. Had two disastrous wars before I managed to get it back. Also it turns out that at some point someone had gained independence in my realm. I subjugated them and suddenly became king of Novgorod as well as gaining a handful of vassals scattered throughout Europe. My hold on Novgorod is tenuous and I doubt I will be able to hold onto it, when I die the kingdom will go to another due to everyone thinking my good Christian boy is a dirty heathen.

After conquering Iceland, I then started a war with Sweden again to regain my former territory, I think I only succeeded because someone else was at war with them and when they won, I was then at war with them and they were too weak to stop me from taking things back. I'm hoping to conquer the rest of the UK tonight.

See it's addictive. You don't have the one more turn effect it's the one more hour effect.

CK also is easy to pick up, hard to master so it's been the most approachable of the Paradox games.

There's no win condition I've gone from emperor down to duke then count as the new king revoked my titles.

I still won the game with a massive score as my bloodline ruled most of Europe.

All those not heirs married off and failed matrilineal marriages to counts and dukes eventually some if them independently rose to power in places like Russia and Scandinavia.

The fragmentation of the Empire if Britannia just created a heap of smaller kingdoms of my bloodline from Ireland to Spain, Morocco, Egypt, eastern Europe.

Si yeah you can blob but you can still rack up a large score via your bloodline. Just marry your son's off to lonely countesses and duchesses.

Not sure how CK3 deals with your daughters but in CK2 you just invited male heirs to your court and married them off matrilineal to your daughters.

Just one more hour.

I've barely played anything else in the last decade due to Paradox Interactive thanks to CK2, EUIV and Stellaris.

Just checked steam way to many hours combined. CK2 only a thousand hours.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'll need to look into specific domains for sons to marry my daughters to, normally I just use the filters, I think you can quickly narrow it down to who will accept a matrilineal marriage. I haven't been targeting different rulers, though that might also explain some of the territory I've gained. A lot of next in line to inherit places.

I'm going to browse through the CK3 subreddit, see if I can glean any useful info, definitely getting to grips with the basics of the game but still sounds like there are a lot of smaller specific things that need to be learnt.

1000 hours, I can see me reaching that in CK3 but probably only around a day of playing so far.

Remove ads