• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Custom divine abilities, portfolios, etc.

Are these balanced? I'll be using them for deities on the Great Wall is Broken thread...

Synergistic Effect (Divine Ability)
You can combine [Effect] abilities with greater power.

Prerequisite: Two or more [Effect] abilities

Benefit: When you combine two [Effect] abilities into a single effect, they have 3/4 of their normal effect each, not 1/2. Alternately, you can combine three [Effect] abilities into a single effect, and they have 1/2 of their normal effect each.

Example: A 64 HD Intermediate Deity with Perfect Icy Breath (normally 64d6 cold damage) and Cosmic Breath (normally 16d20 divine damage) can combine them into a single breath weapon dealing 48d6 cold damage and 12d20 divine damage.

Normal: When combining two [Effect] abilities, each has half effect. (The Intermediate Deity above's combined breath weapon would deal 32d6 cold damage and 8d20 divine damage without Synergistic Effect)

Harmonious Effect (Cosmic Ability)
You can combine [Effect] abilities with vastly greater power.

Prerequisite: Three or more [Effect] abilities

Benefit: When you combine two [Effect] abilities into a single effect, they have their normal effect each, not 1/2. Alternately, you can combine three [Effect] abilities into a single effect, and they have 3/4 of their normal effect each, or four [Effect] abilities at 1/2 of their normal effect each.

Example: A 320 HD First One with Perfect Withering (Wis) Strike (normally 8 points of Wisdom drain) and Superior Cosmic Strike (normally 60d20 divine damage) can combine them to add 8 points of Wisdom drain and 60d20 divine damage to melee attacks. If the First One also possesses Transcendental Strike (normally 20d100 divine damage) it can combine all three to add 6 points of Wisdom drain, 45d20 divine damage, and 15d100 divine damage to melee attacks.

Normal: When combining two [Effect] abilities, each has half effect.

Real Sorceror

First Post
Heres the custom portfolio I used for our god of monsters. Hes a big angry beetle mantis. :p

Monster Portfolio
Aspects: Regeneration, Swamps, Hunger
Opposed Portfolio: Heroism
Examples: Grendal, Medusa
Favored Animal: Beetle, Scorpian
Favored Class: Witch
Favored Place: Swamps
Favored Sacrifice: Princesses
Favored Time: Eclipse
Favored Weapon: Kama
Portfolio Trial: Kidnap a family member or loved one of the ruler of the land and fend off all rescuers for one year.
Prerequisites: Monstrous Humanoid, Magical Beast, or Dragon
Symbol: A vermin or beast
Typical Quote: "Screeeeeee!"

Monster Domain
Granted Power:
You gain a natural bite attack that deals 1d6 plus your Str modifier. It is considered a secondary weapon.

Monster Domain Spells
Magic Fang: One natural weapon of subject creature gets +1 on attack and damage rolls.
2. Spider Climb: Grants ability to walk on walls and ceilings.
3. Magic Fang, Greater: One natural weapon gets + 1/four levels (max +5).
4. Giant Vermin: Turns centipedes, scorpions, or spiders into giant vermin.
5. Hold Monster: As hold person, but any creature.
6. Flesh to Stone: Turns subject creature into statue.
7. Summon Monster VII: Summons extraplanar creature to fight for you.
8. Charm Monster, Mass: As charm monster, but all within 30 ft.
9. Regenerate: Subject’s severed limbs grow back, cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +35).

Dominion
Realm:
You seek out a fetid mire and make your liar there. Your very presence causes it to expand.
Elder One: Your planar realm extends to a planar layer.
Old One: Your planar realm becomes a separate plane of its own.
First One:

Monster template (Single)
Appearance:
The immortal is especially feral in appearance.
Behavior: The immortal will eat just about anything

Monster template (Double)
Appearance:
The immortal is especially primal in appearance.
Behavior: The immortal can and does eat anything.

(Single) Monster Portfolio
Spell-like Abilities (Disciple):
Use any Monster domain spell once per round as a standard action.
Hunger (Weakness): Even if you do not need to eat, you must consume twice as much food as normal for your species and size. If you fail to do so, you must make a Will Save versus DC 15, +5 DC per divine rank or immediately begin looking for food.
(Weakness):
Cockroach (Prophet): You are 50% immune to Radiation.

Swamp Thing (Hero-deity): Competence bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls and armor class equal to your divine rank while in a swamp.
Summon Horde (Quasi-deity):
You always summon twice as many creatures as the spell allows.
Venomous (Demi-deity): Your inherent poisons and deceases have a 50% chance to ignore immunities.
Superior Poison [Effect] (Lesser deity): Assault your enemies with poisonous attacks.
Uncanny Poison Mastery (Intermediate deity): Assault your enemies with poisonous attacks.
Swamp King (Greater Deity): Gain
Regeneration equal to half your HD while in a swamp.
Monster Mash (Elder One): You cannot be harmed directly or indirectly by creatures of your type.
Cosmic Imperfection (Heroism) (Weakness): One artifact in the universe can defeat your Cosmic String ability.
Pariah of Nature (Old One): Humanoids and animals within your divine aura suffer a penalty on all die rolls equal to your divine rank.

(Double) Monster Portfolio
Spell-like Abilities (Disciple):
Use two Monster domain spells per round (one standard, one swift).
Ravenous (Weakness): Even if you do not need to eat, you must consume four times as much food as normal for your species and size. If you fail to do so, you must make a Will Save versus DC 25, +5 DC per divine rank or ignore all other threats and distractions in search of food.
(Weakness):
Twinkie (Prophet): You are completely immune to the effects of Radiation
Swamp Lord (Hero-deity): Competence bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls and armor class equal to double your divine rank while in a swamp.
Summon Legion (Quasi-deity):
You always summon three times as many creatures as allowed.
Toxic (Demi-deity): Your inherent poisons and deceases automatically ignore immunities.
Superior Poison [Effect] (x2 HD) (Lesser deity): Assault your enemies with poisonous attacks.
Uncanny Poison Mastery (x2 HD) (Intermediate deity): Assault your enemies with poisonous attacks.
Swamp Guardian (Greater Deity): Gain
Regeneration equal to your HD while in a swamp.
Monster Masher (Elder One): You automatically dominate all creatures of your type within your divine aura.

Cosmic Imperfection (Heroism) (Weakness): Two artifacts in the universe can defeat your Cosmic String ability.
Belly of the Beast (Old One):
Your hit points are doubled within your liar.
Transmortality (First One): You cannot be killed.

Howdy Real Sorceror! :)

Pretty good, but what struck me was that the template may actually be useful for a future (3.5E) conversion of the Serpent Riders (4E) module I am working on. There is a character in that adventure (whose identity I won't divulge just yet) who could benefit from it.

Sykyrys

First Post
I need an Epic spell that can sever the ties between a lich and it's phylactery. It also needs to take into account "Aumvor's fragmented phylactery", which is an epic spell that allows a lich to create multiple phylacteries.

Basically...a spell that allows for the permanent destruction of a lich, demi-lich, or akalich.

I figure if you can sever a god from it's divinity, you can sever a lich from it's phylactery.

Something like this would be good...but I can't decide on the particulars.

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.2 (Win32)"><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Sy'ky'thryx's Sundering Blast
Abjuration
Spellcraft DC: ???
Components: V, S.
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 75 ft.
Effect: One lich, demi-lich, or akalich.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: No
To Develop: ???
With this spell you can sunder the link between a lich, demi-lich, or akalich and its phylactery, phylactery fragments, and soul gems.
This spell bypasses any immunities and/or resistances a lich, demi-lich, or akalich, might ordinarily possess.
A miracle or wish spell has a 1% chance per caster level of rejoining the sundered phylactery, phylactery fragments, and soul gems with the lich, demi-lich, or akalich.
This spell is a favorite of Sy'ky'thryx, who has grown weary of liches, demi-liches, and akaliches meddling in his affairs.

Last edited:

Real Sorceror

First Post
Howdy Real Sorceror! :)

Pretty good, but what struck me was that the template may actually be useful for a future (3.5E) conversion of the Serpent Riders (4E) module I am working on. There is a character in that adventure (whose identity I won't divulge just yet) who could benefit from it.
That kinda scares me, considering the fact that your creature is probably a divine reptile and you want it to love swamps and be immune to radiation. Hmmmm...
I need an Epic spell that can sever the ties between a lich and it's phylactery. It also needs to take into account "Aumvor's fragmented phylactery", which is an epic spell that allows a lich to create multiple phylacteries.

Basically...a spell that allows for the permanent destruction of a lich, demi-lich, or akalich.

I figure if you can sever a god from it's divinity, you can sever a lich from it's phylactery.

Something like this would be good...but I can't decide on the particulars.

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Sy'ky'thryx's Sundering Blast
Abjuration
Spellcraft DC: ???
Components: V, S.
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 75 ft.
Effect: One lich, demi-lich, or akalich.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: No
To Develop: ???
With this spell you can sunder the link between a lich, demi-lich, or akalich and its phylactery, phylactery fragments, and soul gems.
This spell bypasses any immunities and/or resistances a lich, demi-lich, or akalich, might ordinarily possess.
A miracle or wish spell has a 1% chance per caster level of rejoining the sundered phylactery, phylactery fragments, and soul gems with the lich, demi-lich, or akalich.
This spell is a favorite of Sy'ky'thryx, who has grown weary of liches, demi-liches, and akaliches meddling in his affairs.
That looks fine, but I'd probably specify whether or not it is permanent. Also, an Akalich is a beastly creature and would probably bloat the Spellcraft check needed to craft the spell a lot. I'd make it so that it just affects liches and demiliches. That way casters in the 21-40 range can make use of the spell (unless you specifically need to it effect akaliches).

DamienWilacoth

First Post
IH Warlock Abilities

I posted a couple of Warlock abilities earlier in the thread to compliment so of the awesome abilities that Belzamus posted. For reference, here they are again.

Divine Witchcraft [Divine Ability]
You are a great warlock.
Prerequisites: Eldritch Blast 20d6, Cha 40, Lord of Essences
Benefit: Your known number of invocations doubles
Normal: You learn 12 invocations and can only learn more by taking the feat Extra Epic Invocation

Divine Fiendish Resilience [Divine Ability]
Your heritage shows through in your devilishly fast regeneration.
Prerequisites: Eldritch Blast 20d6, Cha 40, Epic Fiendish Resilience
Benefit: Once per day, as a free action, you can enter a state that lasts 10 minutes. You gain fast healing 100 while in that state.

Normal: Once per day, as a free action, you can enter a state that lasts 2 minutes. You gain fast healing 5 while in that state.

Expanding on these a bit is their Cosmic incarnations.

Cosmic Witchcraft [Cosmic Ability]
You know all invocations.
Prerequisites: Eldritch Blast 80d6, Cha 70, Divine Witchcraft, Lord of Essences
Benefit: You know all invocations.
Normal: You learn 12 invocations and can only learn more by taking the feat Extra Epic Invocation.

Cosmic Fiendish Resilience [Cosmic Ability]
You are the ultimate devil, regenerating wounds that should kill in mere seconds.
Prerequisites: Eldritch Blast 80d6, Cha 70, Divine Fiendish Resilience, Epic Fiendish Resilience
Benefit: You gain fast healing equal to 100 times your divine rank.

Normal: Once per day, as a free action, you can enter a state that lasts 2 minutes. You gain fast healing 5 while in that state.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

DamienWilacoth

First Post
This one is kind of an 'ur-duh' ability that could simply be houseruled, but useful for high level campaigns that involve psionics.

Revise Reality (SU)
Your will comes true.

Prerequisites: Ability to manifest 9th-level powers, Int 70, Psicraft 70 Ranks.
Benefit: You can use reality revision at will as a swift action. You can also combine Automatic Metapsionic Capacity epic feats (to increase the effective level of the reality revision for greater results).

Additionally you can use Revise Reality to give yourself a foresight bonus on all dice rolls equal to 9 + the number of Automatic Metapsionic Capacity feats you possess. But you lose this foresight bonus any round you use the Revise Reality for any other purpose.

Last edited:

DamienWilacoth

First Post
Would this be Divine or Cosmic? I'm pretty sure it's Divine, but I want to make sure.

Lord of Monsters (Ex)
You are the monster legend tells of.
Prerequisite: Animal, beast, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or outsider type.
Benefit: You gain the Monster of Legend template. The Monster of Legend template can be found in the Monster Manual II.

Alternatively, we have...

Monstrous Companion (Ex)
Your companion is legendary.
Prerequisites: Animal Companion class feature.
Benefit: Your animal companion gains the Monster of Legend template. The Monster of Legend template can be found in the Monster Manual II.

Monstrous Familiar (Ex)

Your familiar is legendary.

Prerequisites: Familiar class feature.
Benefit: Your familiar gains the Monster of Legend template. The Monster of Legend template can be found in the Monster Manual II.​

Monstrous Special Mount (Ex)

Your mount is legendary.
Prerequisites: Special Mount class feature.

Benefit: Your mount gains the Monster of Legend template. The Monster of Legend template can be found in the Monster Manual II.

Any feedback?

Last edited:

DamienWilacoth said:
Would this be Divine or Cosmic? I'm pretty sure it's Divine, but I want to make sure.

It might be double Divine, as in Divine once for dire and Divine twice for Legendary.

So Dire + Legendary = Divine x3...maybe?

By the way guys I have a major sore throat tonight (and thats how it feels after the painkillers) so I'll look to get that web update done in the morning. Hopefully I can shake this thing off as soon as possible.

DamienWilacoth

First Post
It might be double Divine, as in Divine once for dire and Divine twice for Legendary.

So Dire + Legendary = Divine x3...maybe?

Pardon? Monster of Legend is a template from the Monster Manual II that can be applied to any animal, beast, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid. It actually has nothing to do with either your Dire or Legendary templates.

Remove ads