D&D 5E (Custom Item) Need pricing help - Item for a monty haul 20th level one shot - The Omnibus

Stalker0

Legend
Ok, so for a one off 20th level adventure we are playing in, the dm is letting us go nuts, with just ludicrous amounts of gold to spend on magic items. (aka if you are going to say "that would be like a million gold" my response would be..... "and?").

So I have always wanted to try out this kind of magic item, and so wanted to get people's take on the price tag it should cost. Of course, magic item pricing is a tricky business, especially when we are talking about the crazy high level ones, but I wanted to get people's general thoughts.

Here is the item:
The Omnibus
This sentient spellbook is the greatest focus of magical energy in the multiverse, and contains all of its knowledge. The omnibus may cast every known spell as a 9th level spell (with DC 20) 1/day.

So the main points:
  • every known spell for this game is the core books, tashas, and xanithars. We aren't looking to bring in 3pp stuff.
  • Its basically almost unlimited wish, except the wish can only be used to duplicate spells, each wish has to be a different spell each time for the day, and then we got all the 9th level spells (from all classes) on top.

So of course, ludicrously expensive, but HOW ludicrously expensive? 1 million gold? 10 million? 100 million? Please give me your thoughts.

Stalker0

Legend
So for my first cut. At an absolute minimum, we could treat this thing as having a spell scroll (wish) for as many spells that exist. Now obviously that would only be a 1 use kind of thing as opposed to 1/day, but its certainly a bottom base line.

I find there are about 409 spells total, so cost wise: 20,450,000 if we assume each scroll is a 50k legendary scroll.

So realistically I think such an item would need to be 100 million to even start getting into the ballpark of reasonability (and note that kind of pricing is STILL something we can work with....I said it was ludicrous). What do you think?

aco175

Legend
Hard to pin down since it seems like such a big item. Something like other artifacts Book of Vile Darkness or Vecna's Hand. You start getting this big I start wondering how much gold a kingdom has or an ancient dragon.

To throw out a number, I would say a million, but that might just be relative to the wealth of a decent job over a lifetime.

nevin

Hero
Ok, so for a one off 20th level adventure we are playing in, the dm is letting us go nuts, with just ludicrous amounts of gold to spend on magic items. (aka if you are going to say "that would be like a million gold" my response would be..... "and?").

So I have always wanted to try out this kind of magic item, and so wanted to get people's take on the price tag it should cost. Of course, magic item pricing is a tricky business, especially when we are talking about the crazy high level ones, but I wanted to get people's general thoughts.

Here is the item:
The Omnibus
This sentient spellbook is the greatest focus of magical energy in the multiverse, and contains all of its knowledge. The omnibus may cast every known spell as a 9th level spell (with DC 20) 1/day.

So the main points:
  • every known spell for this game is the core books, tashas, and xanithars. We aren't looking to bring in 3pp stuff.
  • Its basically almost unlimited wish, except the wish can only be used to duplicate spells, each wish has to be a different spell each time for the day, and then we got all the 9th level spells (from all classes) on top.

So of course, ludicrously expensive, but HOW ludicrously expensive? 1 million gold? 10 million? 100 million? Please give me your thoughts.
The Price is thier Soul. this item would never be sold. and if it the magic item works as described they should permanantly lose a spell slot everytime they use it, or risk burning out thier ability to cast magic with a growing percentage everytime they use it. Once that happens they'd be dead to magic unable to even recieve spells. Even gods don't carry items like this around. This is more like a 50th level item not a 20th level item.

Remove ads