• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Customer service trumps quality: why I like Dell

CarlZog

Explorer
Well, at the risk of this thread getting more sickeningly sweet, I have to toss in my support for Dell too. I've got two Dell desktops in my office; and we have two laptops at home.

Yes, Dell's customer support may be great, but I wouldn't know, 'cause I've never needed it. I inherited the oldest of these machines nearly six years old, and it's still a profoundly reliable workhorse.

Previous to my current Dell laptop, I bought an overpriced specialized laptop supposedly designed to better withstand the marine environment (I do a lot of offshore sailing for work; the humidity and salt air is a computer killer; not to mention the jostling of life at sea.). It fell apart within a year, and the company that made it had gone out of business.

In contrast, the Dell Inspiron has weathered all kinds of abuse and operating conditions flawlessly. I'd definitely buy another one, but I suspect it's going to be a long time before I need to.

CZ

Rackhir

Explorer
Despite being a mac person I have to deal with PCs at work. My experience with their corporate tech support for servers and workstations has been terrific, since they grant that you probably have some idea of what you are doing. So they don't hassle you when you tell them something like "The hard drive is dead" or "the video cards kaput". Also their corporate products tech support has been excellent when I ran into a problem that I couldn't figure out on my own. The people I've been put in contact with have been very knowledgable and helpful.

Their regular customer service for home PCs however has been a royal pain in the ass the one time I had to deal with it for my boss's home computer. They had me on the phone for at least an hour and a half checking various things before finally agreeing that the graphics card was dead, something I had told them at the start of the call. And I had to go through the same thing when it turned out that the motherboard was dead as well.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
So far, so good. The machine is working flawlessly. I just spent $179 on an 80 GB portable hard drive, which I'm using to move the files from one machine to the other. Holy crap on a stick, is this thing fast! The process is virtually painless. I'm in love.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Dell kicks major, hard-core, rock-bottom butt. I use them for all the new systems I purchase at work, and they have never let me down in service or quality.

Remove ads