D&D 3E/3.5 Cutting Down the 3.5 Christmas Tree: Decoupling Wealth from Combat Power

I've been working on a variety of "universal templates" – for want of a better term – designed to eliminate the need for magic items to balance a character at any given level in 3.5. The purpose is to silo out character wealth entirely, allowing gold and items to be handed out on a purely discretionary basis by the DM, or according to some different subsystem which is divorced from raw combat power. I've touched on this in a few previous posts.

The following system attempts to eliminate the need for items which grant any of the following:

• Enhancement bonuses to ability scores
  • Inherent bonuses to ability scores
  • Magical natural armor bonuses
  • Deflection bonuses to armor
  • Resistance bonuses to saving throws
  • Magic weapon 'plusses'
  • Magic armor 'plusses'

The system can be easily extended to include (in fact, exclude):

• Items granting competence bonuses to skill checks
  • Metamagic rods

Hopefully, the endeavor can help to:

• Liberate character wealth from combat power
  • Assert the viability of low-magic games
  • Eliminate the "Christmas Tree" effect
  • Reduce the see-saw of the buff/debuff combat mechanism
  • Provide fewer bonuses to track
  • Return to the special significance of magic items
  • Allow some customization of choices

What if Magic Items were to *Tip* Game Balance?
Now, there's a thought. That which offers a special advantage, grants amazing powers beyond mortal ken. A magic item.

In the standard 3.5 model, as soon as a particular magic item is required for a character to be effective ("viable"), it becomes a necessary tool rather than a miraculous object. Perhaps this – more than any other factor – is responsible for the loss of the feeling of magic. The item becomes depressingly mundane and utilitarian. Show me the 12th-level wizard who does not have a headband of intellect +4, and I will ask why ever not?.

Because he has a Headband +6, you might say.

Generous DM, I reply – that's 40% of your predicted total gear value.

The way to fix this issue is to eliminate the character's dependence on magic items; to allow a natural progression to make up for the shortfall caused by the lack of number-boosting objects which clutter up the character sheet.

If this baseline is established without regard to items, then when a magic item actually appears it will skew power away from the predicted curve. I want to get back to skew later, because I think it can – at least to some extent – be measured.

A Standard Universal Progression

There might be any number of variant progressions which could, in fact, replace the gear assumptions of a wealth-by-level system; here is one. It’s worth pointing out a few facts about this one:

• It assumes that the vast majority or all of a character's wealth is normally sunk into items which enhance combat effectiveness. The progression is designed to be both rounded and robust – i.e. to represent the power of a character who would otherwise be dripping with tinsel and baubles
  • It assumes that the value of an individual item typically does not normally exceed more than 25% of total character wealth. At lower character levels (1-6), this restriction is relaxed somewhat
  • Advancement is more granular, as it effectively assumes the equivalent of odd-numbered bonuses to ability score boosters which would extend down to 2nd character level
  • It assumes that ability-enhancing tomes are normally used by characters at high levels
  • At any given level, the benefits accumulated by characters are equivalent to those afforded by magic items whose combined value is within 10% of that expected by level; in most cases, the discrepancy is actually 5% or less.

One of the abilities listed is Prowess. This can be applied as a bonus to either AC (equivalent to the accumulated enhancement bonuses on shield and armor), or to a set of ability-linked skills. The cost of a hypothetical skill-enhancement item is extrapolated from the circlet of persuasion. This value maps well to the combined cost of magic armor and shield of the total given bonus, and is included to add some choice for characters who might not otherwise sink their cash into armor and shield.

Certain combinations of magic items are normally prohibited because they occupy the same "body slot:" e.g. a cloak of resistance and a cloak of charisma. For the sake of simplicity, these mutual bonus exclusions are not reflected to in the following progression; as well as frequent alternative workarounds (e.g. vest of resistance), they are rather arbitrary and unnecessary prohibitions in any case.

The progression assumes that all bonuses are of the untyped sort, and that the previously listed types of bonus are either entirely prohibited, or access by spell or item is strictly controlled by the DM. All benefits are cumulative with those gained at lower levels.

Table I: Universal Bonus Progression by Character Level

1. -
2. [1st Ability] +1
3. [2nd Ability] +1, Prowess +1
4. AC +1, Saves +1
5. [1st Ability] +1
6. [2nd Ability] +1, [1st Attack] +1
7. AC +1, Saves +1, Prowess +1
8. [1st Ability] +1, [3rd Ability] +1
9. [1st Attack] +1, [2nd Attack] +1, Prowess +1
10. AC +1, Saves +1
11. [1st Ability] +1, [2nd Ability] +1, [3rd Ability] +1, Prowess +1
12. AC +1, [1st Attack] +1, [2nd Attack] +1
13. [1st Ability] +1, Saves +1, Prowess +1
14. [2nd Ability] +1, AC +1, [2nd Attack] +1
15. [1st Ability] +1, [2nd Ability] +1, [3rd Ability] +1, [1st Attack] +1, Prowess +1
16. [1st Ability] +1, [2nd Ability] +1, [3rd Ability] +1, AC +1, Saves +1
17. [1st Ability] +1, [2nd Ability] +1, [3rd Ability] +1, AC +1, Prowess +1
18. [1st Ability] +1, [2nd Ability] +1, AC +1, [1st Attack] +1, [2nd Attack] +1, Prowess +1
19. [1st Ability] +1, [2nd Ability] +1, [3rd Ability] +1, AC +1, Prowess +1
20. [1st Ability] +1, [2nd Ability] +1, [3rd Ability] +1, AC +1, [2nd Attack] +1, Prowess +1

Notes

[1st Ability]
At 2nd level, you choose an ability score. You gain a +1 bonus to that score. Subsequently, you increase this ability by +1 at each level listed as [1st Ability]. The maximum bonus to your 1st Ability is +11 at 20th level.

[2nd Ability]
At 3rd level, you choose a second ability score. You gain a +1 bonus to that score. Subsequently, you increase this ability by +1 at each level listed as [2nd Ability]. The maximum bonus to your 2nd Ability is +10 at 20th level.

Prowess
At 3rd level, you choose an area of Prowess, and gain a +1 bonus to apply to that area. You can choose one of any of the following:

• Defense: Add the bonus to your Armor Class; the bonus is halved (round up) if you don't use a shield. The bonus is not effective against touch attacks.
  • Add the bonus to all Str- and Con-related skill checks
  • Add the bonus to all Dex-related skill checks
  • Add the bonus to all Int-related skill checks
  • Add the bonus to all Wis-related skill checks
  • Add the bonus to all Cha-related skill checks

Whenever you gain a level and your Prowess increases, you gain an additional +1 bonus to your chosen area of Prowess.

AC
At 4th level, you gain a +1 bonus to your Armor Class, and your AC increases by an additional +1 at each listed level. This bonus is effective against all attacks, including touch attacks.

Saves
At 4th level, you also gain a +1 bonus to your saving throws. You gain an additional +1 bonus at each listed level.

[1st Attack]
At 6th level, you choose a weapon: you gain a +1 bonus to both your attack and damage rolls when using that weapon. Subsequently, you increase this bonus by +1 at each level listed [1st Attack].

[3rd Ability]
At 8th level, choose a third ability score. You gain a +1 bonus to this score. Subsequently, you increase this ability by +1 at each level listed as [3rd Ability]. The maximum bonus to your 3rd Ability is +8 at 20th level.

[2nd Attack]
At 9th level, you choose a second weapon: you gain a +1 bonus to both your attack and damage rolls when using that weapon. Subsequently, you increase this bonus by +1 at each level listed [2nd Attack].

Substitutions

The following substitutions can be made for characters who do not normally emphasize weapon combat. They can also eliminate the need for boring, pesky metamagic rods which otherwise often comprise a large chunk of a spellcaster's resources: spellcasters can choose from either Versatile or Potent Metamagic substitutions.

Metamagic substitution does not confer the associated feat on the owner, only the ability to use the given feat a specified number of times per day. A sorcerer still must take a full-round action when using metamagic substitution, just as if using a metamagic feat he possesses.

Substitution I: Versatile Metamagic

• Remove 1st Attack and 2nd Attack entries from the Bonus Progression.
  • At 6th level you can apply a metamagic effect to a spell of 1st to 3rd level up to three times per day. You can either Enlarge, Extend or make Silent any spell of level 1-3 which you cast. The type of metamagic, once chosen, cannot be altered, although subsequent Versatile Metamagic Substitution will supercede your initial choice by including others
  • At 9th level you can Enlarge, Extend or make Silent a spell, each three times per day, any spell you cast of up to 3rd level.
  • At 14th level, you can Enlarge, Extend or make Silent a spell, each three times per day, any spell you cast of up to 6th level.
  • At 18th level, you can Enlarge, Extend or make Silent a spell, each three times per day, any spell that you cast of up to 9th level.

You may use only one metamagic effect from a Metamagic Substitution ability on a given spell, but other metamagic (such as from a feat) may also combine with the spell. Each successive benefit gained by the Versatile Metamagic ability replaces that gained at earlier levels

Substitution II: Potent Metamagic

• Remove the 1st Attack, 2nd Attack and 3rd Ability entries from the Bonus Progression
  • At 9th level you can Empower a spell of 1st to 3rd level up to three times per day.
  • At 12th level you can Empower a spell of 1st to 6th level up to three times per day.
  • At 16th level you can Empower a spell of 1st to 9th level up to three times per day
  • At 20th level you can Empower a spell of 1st to 9th level up to three times per day; you may also Maximize any spell of 1st to 9th level up to three times per day.

You may use only one metamagic effect from a Metamagic Substitution ability on a given spell, but other metamagic (such as from a feat) may also combine with the spell. Each successive benefit gained by the Potent Metamagic ability replaces those gained at earlier levels

Substitution III: Skill Emphasis

• Remove the 1st Attack entry from the Bonus Progression
  • Whenever you gain an increase in Prowess, you may assign an equal bonus to a second area of Prowess: for example, you might gain a bonus to all Charisma-based skill checks and to all Dexterity based skill checks

Specific Templates

Having got all of that out of the way, it is possible to tailor specific progressions more to an individual character's needs. I'll do four, although the combinations are endless:

Sword & Board

1. -
2. Str +1
3. Con +1, Defense +1
4. AC +1, Saves +1
5. Str +1
6. Con +1, Melee +1
7. AC +1, Saves +1, Defense +1
8. Str +1, Dex +1
9. Melee +1, Ranged +1, Defense +1
10. AC +1, Saves +1
11. Str +1, Con +1, Dex +1, Defense +1
12. AC +1, Melee +1, Ranged +1
13. Str +1, Saves +1, Defense +1
14. Con +1, AC +1, Ranged +1
15. Str +1, Con +1, Dex +1, Melee +1, Defense +1
16. Str +1, Con +1, Dex +1, AC +1, Saves +1
17. Str +1, Con +1, Dex +1, AC +1, Defense +1
18. Str +1, Con +1, AC +1, Melee +1, Ranged +1, Defense +1
19. Str +1, Con +1, Dex +1, AC +1, Defense +1
20. Str +1, Con +1, Dex +1, AC +1, Ranged +1, Defense +1

Finesse/Swashbuckler

1. -
2. Dex +1
3. Int +1, Dex-Related Skills +1
4. AC +1, Saves +1
5. Dex +1
6. Int +1, Melee +1
7. AC +1, Saves +1, Dex-Related Skills +1
8. Dex +1, Con +1
9. Melee +1, Ranged +1, Dex-Related Skills +1
10. AC +1, Saves +1
11. Dex +1, Int +1, Con +1, Dex-Related Skills +1
12. AC +1, Melee +1, Ranged +1
13. Dex +1, Saves +1, Dex-Related Skills +1
14. Int +1, AC +1, Ranged +1
15. Dex +1, Int +1, Con +1, Melee +1, Dex-Related Skills +1
16. Dex +1, Int +1, Con +1, AC +1, Saves +1
17. Dex +1, Int +1, Con +1, AC +1, Dex-Related Skills +1
18. Dex +1, Int +1, AC +1, Melee +1, Ranged +1, Dex-Related Skills +1
19. Dex +1, Int +1, Con +1, AC +1, Dex-Related Skills +1
20. Dex +1, Int +1, Con +1, AC +1, Ranged +1, Dex-Related Skills +1

Wizard (Potent Metamagic)

1. -
2. Int +1
3. Con +1, Int-Related Skills +1
4. AC +1, Saves +1
5. Int +1
6. Con +1
7. AC +1, Saves +1, Int-Related Skills +1
8. Int +1
9. Int-Related Skills +1, Potent Metamagic
10. AC +1, Saves +1
11. Int +1, Con +1, Int-Related Skills +1
12. AC +1, Potent Metamagic
13. Int +1, Saves +1, Int-Related Skills +1
14. Con +1, AC +1
15. Int +1, Con +1, Int-Related Skills +1
16. Int +1, Con +1, AC +1, Saves +1, Potent Metamagic
17. Int +1, Con +1, AC +1, Int-Related Skills +1
18. Int +1, Con +1, AC +1, Int-Related Skills +1
19. Int +1, Con +1, AC +1, Int-Related Skills +1
20. Int +1, Con +1, AC +1, Int-Related Skills +1, Potent Metamagic

Skill Monkey: Deft and Magnetic

1. -
2. Dex +1
3. Cha +1, Dex- and Cha-Related Skills +1
4. AC +1, Saves +1
5. Dex +1
6. Cha +1
7. AC +1, Saves +1, Dex- and Cha-Related Skills +1
8. Dex +1, Int +1
9. Melee +1, Dex- and Cha-Related Skills +1
10. AC +1, Saves +1
11. Dex +1, Cha +1, Int +1, Dex- and Cha-Related Skills +1
12. AC +1, Melee +1
13. Dex +1, Saves +1, Dex- and Cha-Related Skills +1
14. Cha +1, AC +1, Melee +1
15. Dex +1, Cha +1, Int +1, Dex- and Cha-Related Skills +1
16. Dex +1, Cha +1, Int +1, AC +1, Saves +1
17. Dex +1, Cha +1, Int +1, AC +1, Dex- and Cha-Related Skills +1
18. Dex +1, Cha +1, AC +1, Melee +1, Dex- and Cha-Related Skills +1
19. Dex +1, Cha +1, Int +1, AC +1, Dex- and Cha-Related Skills +1
20. Dex +1, Cha +1, Int +1, AC +1, Melee +1, Dex- and Cha-Related Skills +1

Soramain

Explorer
Cool ideas. I'm running a campaign right now that uses something similar. There are almost no magic items, but I would describe it as a high magic campaign, the idea being that most of the bonuses are because the characters are special. They are almost comic book superheroes, or they will be when they get up in levels a bit.

The mechanics of the system are still (at 3rd level) a complete mystery to my players, but it's basically a mash-up of the vow of poverty feat from Exalted Deeds, the ancestral daisho ability from Oriental Adventures, the defense bonus from Iron Heroes, and a series of highly specialized extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities called "gifts" that are gained every few levels.

I don't enjoy the things that the Big-6 game design does to the campaign world, creating a whole economy around Walmart-ized magic items that lack flavor. In previous campaigns I've tried to just add flavor, but as the characters go up in levels and their magic items number in the dozens, the "cool" factor of a dagger named "Icicle" is buried under the weight of the mechanics.

BriarMonkey

First Post
For some time I've looked at the whole xmas tree issue without a lot of ability to make any real changes - at least not without it cascading into a whole lot of unintended work. I keep looking at fantasy figures, like Conan, who can still effect great deeds, regardless (or in spite) of what sword he may be weilding - and I want that for my players' characters too.

While I whole-heartedly agree that the xmas tree effect needs siginificant attention, I think your layout is a bit, well, cumbersome. At least for me. I can see the desire and the thought that went into the balancing of the various elements - but it seems too much to track.

(And yes, I fully realize that what I am about to say is extremely open to power gaming/min-maxing, with the people I tend to game with, 'tisn't too much of an issue.)

The system I am going to be using in my next game (still a work in progress) is much simpler. Basically, every couple of levels the character gains an extra point. That point can be used to bump an ability score, or bump a saving throw, or bump their attack bonus, or bump their armor class. (I may do the same with skills, but haven't yet ironed that out.)

That will give the players a lot more freedom to tweak their characters without having to worry about too much extra tracking, or worrying about having all the "required" magic items.

(shrug) Just my two shekels.

Soramain

Explorer
The system I am going to be using in my next game (still a work in progress) is much simpler. Basically, every couple of levels the character gains an extra point. That point can be used to bump an ability score, or bump a saving throw, or bump their attack bonus, or bump their armor class. (I may do the same with skills, but haven't yet ironed that out.)

That will give the players a lot more freedom to tweak their characters without having to worry about too much extra tracking, or worrying about having all the "required" magic items.

Are you concerned about the work you'll have to do on the back end? For example, there are a lot of monsters requiring special materials or whose special abilities might require players to have access to the kinds of abilities that magic items grant?

BriarMonkey

First Post
Are you concerned about the work you'll have to do on the back end? For example, there are a lot of monsters requiring special materials or whose special abilities might require players to have access to the kinds of abilities that magic items grant?

I apologize if this made it sound like I am getting rid of magic items, as that was not at all the intent.

So as to your point, for me, no, I am not concerned as magic still plays its role in the game and as treasure and as a means to give the characters additional abilities. If I were to simply replace them, which would give us a very low magic world, then yeah, I would not be looking forward to all the little fiddly bits.

Basically, I am looking at this from the viewpoint that if a character, say, gets locked up in a orcish prison mine - and has no other resources than his wits and maybe a pick, if he picks his moment, his combat effectiveness should not be so diminished without all his christmas ornaments that he can not effect a possible escape. He shouldn't require his +3 Plate and +3 Shocking Longsword just to be a viable opponent.

Basically, as is similar to the OP, I want a character to have more self reliance.

I should also point out that my comment prior is very rough in how I'm handling it - but, it really is as simple. I like simple. And while the OP has a system that appears to work for him, it is too involved for me.

Dukthulhu

First Post
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. I enjoy running low wealth campaigns (Level 4 characters in the latest one, only have a total of about 1200 GP), due to the fact that over-dependence on magical items annoys me.

Soramain

Explorer
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. I enjoy running low wealth campaigns (Level 4 characters in the latest one, only have a total of about 1200 GP), due to the fact that over-dependence on magical items annoys me.

Or you could go totally the other way with it. In my game, having eliminated virtually all magic items, there is virtually no worry about maintaining proper wealth levels for the PC's - I can send them chasing after a fabulously expensive diamond at level 3 without any concern about them cashing it in to buy shiny magical gewgaws.

I also like that they can play their characters instead of obsessing about getting stat boosters or keeping up with the rest of the party.

Remove ads