D&D 3E/3.5 (D&D 3.5) Is Monkey's grip worth it?

Dandu

First Post
It's certainly worth the ability to walk around town with a big-assed sword on your shoulder.
Three things wrong with that.

1. It's not actually you that's walking around town.
2. Your character now comes perilously close to joining the ranks of Cloud clones.
3. It's probably a bad idea for the same reason as strolling through Grand Rapics, Michigan with a loaded AR-15 on your shoulder is a bad idea.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
3. It's probably a bad idea for the same reason as strolling through Grand Rapics, Michigan with a loaded AR-15 on your shoulder is a bad idea.

Although I understand in parts of Montana and Nevada, thats considered "dress casual."

Hughjefender

First Post
Three things wrong with that.

1. It's not actually you that's walking around town.
2. Your character now comes perilously close to joining the ranks of Cloud clones.

True. Very true.

You can do similar damage with a normal sized sword. Now if it was an orc, than maybe it would work.

Cactot

First Post
At least there is one thing that I DO like about monkey grip, it somehow seems more "realistic" to me to be able to do mortal damage to a huge (or larger) creature with a more massive weapon.

The way I look at it, if I was fully armored and a 6 year old came at me with a 6 oz ball-peen hammer, I would not be in any danger at all. If that 6 year old could somehow wield a sledge (or a mattock, or even a 22oz rock pick) the possibility of it being able to land a mortal blow would be much greater.

Slife

First Post
Monkey grip really doesn't do enough. Your sword is slightly bigger than normal. So what?

Instead, consider a major titan bloodline and a warhammer with the morphing weapon enhancement. At level 12 you can wield a gargantuan whatevertheheckyouwant with no penalties.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Monkey grip really doesn't do enough. Your sword is slightly bigger than normal. So what?

Instead, consider a major titan bloodline and a warhammer with the morphing weapon enhancement. At level 12 you can wield a gargantuan whatevertheheckyouwant with no penalties.

Actually, it only grants you what it grants the Titan: the ability to weild a gargantuan warhammer.
Rather Rules lawyery to assume anything gargantuan.

Daniel Vieira

First Post
Half-Titan homemade template

I'm playing a game with other 6 players (!!), now at ECL 8 (started at 6 I think, I joined in the middle), where all characters are somehow "freaks": there's an Orc/Half-Dragon/Lolth Touched (freakiest), a Celestial Succubus, a Half-Vampire Tiefling, and others... I play a Human Half-Titan Fighter (4th level by now). Here's the template:

Level adjustment: +4
may be added to any humanoid
size: Medium
type: get the Planar (native) subtype
basic Abilities: +10 Str, +4 Con, +2 Int, +4 Chr
SR: Dice+11
DR: 5/order
Natural AC +1
Traits: Powerful Build (exatly like the Goliath and Half Giant), Low Light Vision, Spell-like abilities
Spell-like abilities: caster level=dice; DC based on Charisma:
1st dice: Lightning 1/day
after 1st dice I decided to let my GM determine what spells I'll have, since this "race" is fairly unique and didn't come with an instructions manual (so, I'll discover my next abilities as I level up). he decided that as the Titan's spell-likes are very powerful and make an ubber combo (damage, healing and miscelaneous in a single creature) I'll gain abilities each 4 dices instead of 2 (like half celestials/abyssals). then, I'll get my next ability at the next level

my talents I picked:
-Improved Unarmed Strike (not because it'll be usefull, but I like to make coherenty characters, and it seems logical that such a big guy knows how to fight barehanded...)
-Weapon Focus (Greatsword - I like weapons that crit often)
-Power Attack (obviously)
-Cleave (just as obvious)
-Improved Bullrush (it's pre-requisite for the next...)
-Awesome Blow (Monster's Manual 1; with -4 on attack roll, not only I cause weapon damage but I also push the enemy away and make him fall to the ground (reflexes to not fall, DC = damage, which is usually a grotesque 3d6+13)

by now this is being amazing!

I intend my next talents to be:
-Improved Sunder (pre-requisite for the next)
-Combat Brute (Complete Warrior; allow 3 special combat maneveurs, Sundering Cleave, Advancing Blows and Momentum Swing, very logical, stylish and :):):):)ing good)
-Improved Critical (Greatsword)
-Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior too, allows Directed Bullrush, Domino Rush and Heedless Charge)
-Powerful Charge (one of the Monster's Manual, adds +1d8 to my damage when I charge)
-Great Cleave
-[FONT=&quot]Weapon Specialization (Greatsword)
-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Melee Weapon Mastery (Slashing) (Player’s Handbook 2)
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-Slashing Flurry (Player’s Handbook 2)
-I haven't decided after this point (level 15...)
[/FONT]
My intention with this is to make a :):):):)ing strong Fighter with more than "I full attack this round... again" with the 2 feats that add maneveurs + the spell-like abilities from the Half Titan template.

Remove ads