• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D 5e Basic Set: Things that make you go "what?!"

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Also from Mearls—

question said:
@mikemearls Why 5e experience table so weird? between 10-11 (takes 21000) and 11-12 (takes only 15000).

answer said:
@Hadan_Ashcroft People stop playing at 10 - it's a weird divot, but leveling speeds up at 10+ to pull people through those doldrums

Edit: And he continues:

mearls said:
Part of thinking behind that is it looks like campaign length might be dictated by how long the group can consistently meet. Interestingly enough, groups seemed to want to level much faster than we expected, and campaigns were shorter than we expected, too.

So that's why there's a weird xp pattern.

Thaumaturge.

evilbob

Explorer
"campaigns were shorter than we expected"

I can definitely believe that. If I recall 4E was designed to get you from level 1 to 30 if you played every week for a year. While I've had campaigns that went for longer than a year before, a) I was a lot younger and b) they didn't meet anywhere close to once a week. The older gamers get, the less likely they can do anything every week for a year - especially something that takes ~3 hours a sitting (i.e. the entirety of your precious few seconds of time for yourself for that day) and relies on other people (i.e. people whose schedules are also impacted by their own lives). Faster campaigns aren't a bad idea.

Thaumaturge

He also mentions many people playing the game are in school (high school or college), which means semesters dictate campaign length for many players.

Thaumaturge.

Evenglare

Adventurer
He also mentions many people playing the game are in school (high school or college), which means semesters dictate campaign length for many players.

Thaumaturge.

I'm really surprized and happy they took that into account. Not that I'm in school anymore, but its nice to know they understand extraneous factors now.

Thaumaturge

I'm really surprized and happy they took that into account. Not that I'm in school anymore, but its nice to know they understand extraneous factors now.

Agreed.

And he also mentions, in response to questions, there will be both faster and slower progression charts in the DMG.

Thaumaturge.

evilbob

Explorer
Thanks for keeping us posted of the answered questions in difference mediums, Thaumaturge! Apparently I've given you too much XP recently but you deserve it!

Thaumaturge

You're welcome.

It just so inefficient for people to have questions here (/points at browser) and for the answers to be there (/points at twitter app).

So I'm trying to increase efficiency. :)

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads