• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D 5e Powergamer's Tactics Room: a youtube channel

How does the Bladesinger from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything stack up against the other wizard subdomains? Let's review!

Note that this is not an optimization video, but rather a brief look at the relative power of the subdomain relative to the others. There will be an optimization vid coming soon, however!

11:17

Be honest... you've wondered. He talks a good game, but does Bilbron Bafflestone really know what the heck he's talking about? Take a look at Bilbron Bladesinger to find out.

32:08

You need to use short swords for a bonus action attack and you don't get a bonus attack action. So that does not work with booming blade. Sorry that is not power gaming, but cheating.

Yes, I was mistaken about rapiers and you would have to use short swords or scimitars, and of course anyone can do that without requiring TWF. Everything the same except the -1 damage bump. Many apologies for the error.

Yes, I was mistaken about rapiers and you would have to use short swords or scimitars, and of course anyone can do that without requiring TWF. Everything the same except the -1 damage bump. Many apologies for the error.
And you can't use booming blade if you want your offhand attack. But at level 6, you can actually do it, because only one attack is booming blade, the other one triggers the offhand attack like normal.

I so like the rest however. A nice selection of spells, and nice ideas for the actual combat.

At level 8, you get 3d6+12 damage offhand attack. But at that point I think, just using the offhand short sword with spirit shroud is also more than ok. You do 1d6+1d8 damage, but at the same time save yourself a feat (meaning you get +1 /+1 to attack and damage and AC by chosing dexterity) and a 4th level spell that can be countered by blasting you with a fireball (your servants need to be close to you to take the stones and throw them, except when you use your familiar to deliver the stones... Which seems like a good tactic within heavy obscurement).

I still like the possibility of doing it, so I your Idea very much.

At level 8, you get 3d6+12 damage offhand attack. But at that point I think, just using the offhand short sword with spirit shroud is also more than ok. You do 1d6+1d8 damage, but at the same time save yourself a feat (meaning you get +1 /+1 to attack and damage and AC by chosing dexterity) and a 4th level spell that can be countered by blasting you with a fireball (your servants need to be close to you to take the stones and throw them, except when you use your familiar to deliver the stones... Which seems like a good tactic within heavy obscurement).

I still like the possibility of doing it, so I your Idea very much.
Well, the idea is that my Tiny Servants stay in the backpack (along with Familiar) to have total perfect cover except on their action, so it would require a readied action to pick them off. Possible, for sure, but always a possibility with Tiny Servants and this is about as much protection as you can get for them. The Tiny Servants have Blindsight so attack at advantage within the Obscurement radius, a nice little touch to this tactic.

I also just love Magic Stone and 3x Tiny Servants. Would love to do it on my current character but I don't get another Feat until 14th level (2 level dip).

Thank you very much for the feedback and kind words!

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The cheese is strong with this. First off Bladesong ends if you use 2 hands to make an attack with a weapon, I would say that having a weapon in each hand breaks the spirit of this, even if it does not breaks the wording and I would rule it out as cheese. Other tables may vary.

Second, heavy obscuration, according to the PHB (page 183) confers the blindness condition to creatures within. So attacks on you are at disadvantage but so are your attacks on them. Alertness does not really help at all. In my opinion it would need the Blind Fighting style from Tasha's picked up as a feat to make this work.

Obscuration as a tactic is going to upset the rest of the party unless the whole lot are set up for blind fighting. I could see that one annoying the DM though.

If you want permanent disadvantage on attack roll to you get a cloak of displacement or figure out some way for a third party to cast blur on you, or greater invisibility.

The spell selection is interesting though. I could see some eyebrows raised if one visits the local hostelry with a greater demon in tow.

I am also not sure Rope trick works like you imply. My understanding is that once cast, one has to climb the rope to get in, so 60 feet of rope, 2 turns climbing, unless one as a climb speed of 30 feet.

The cheese is strong with this. First off Bladesong ends if you use 2 hands to make an attack with a weapon, I would say that having a weapon in each hand breaks the spirit of this, even if it does not breaks the wording and I would rule it out as cheese. Other tables may vary.

Second, heavy obscuration, according to the PHB (page 183) confers the blindness condition to creatures within. So attacks on you are at disadvantage but so are your attacks on them. Alertness does not really help at all. In my opinion it would need the Blind Fighting style from Tasha's picked up as a feat to make this work.

Obscuration as a tactic is going to upset the rest of the party unless the whole lot are set up for blind fighting. I could see that one annoying the DM though.

If you want permanent disadvantage on attack roll to you get a cloak of displacement or figure out some way for a third party to cast blur on you, or greater invisibility.

The spell selection is interesting though. I could see some eyebrows raised if one visits the local hostelry with a greater demon in tow.

I am also not sure Rope trick works like you imply. My understanding is that once cast, one has to climb the rope to get in, so 60 feet of rope, 2 turns climbing, unless one as a climb speed of 30 feet.
Yes, I didn't hold back on cheese. Feel free to dial it back if this is uncomfortable. I know the Planar Binding and such is a bit much.

My attacks are normal because they can't see me (advantage on attacks) and I can't see them (disadvantage on attacks), which cancels out. My Alert cancels the advantage on attacks for me not seeing them, so they attack me at disadvantage.

I didn't want to take 3rd parties into account in this analysis, but such is certainly helpful.

You definitely need to talk to your party about this! I wouldn't do it if there's a Conquest Paladin or something who would be hampered by the obscurement. Ideally, the whole party takes Alert or Blindfighting and we all leverage my obscurement. But YMMV.

Barlgura's can turn invisible, a nice little benefit.

The rope can be only 5' long, if you like.

Remove ads