D&D (2024) D&D 6th edition - What do you want to see?

It's just not fun for a random roll of ONE die to just destroy everything you've invested into with little recourse.
Agreed, but there's no reason why save-or-die must necessarily be one roll. Even if it is literally just one saving throw, with failure causing instant death, there's still everything that we do in response to the knowledge that such an ability exists.

Before you make the saving throw, you have to choose to look at the medusa. Assuming a proper set-up, that's a decision which should be made with full knowledge of the risks involved. It moves the game back a step, from normal swing-for-damage combat. The game aspect becomes your decision of whether or not to look, rather than the random outcome of the die roll.

Although, it's easy for the DM to get that one wrong, if the book doesn't explain how obvious this should be.

Tallifer

Hero
6E for me would be a revival and improving redaction of 4E. AEDU, paragon, epic, character builder, everything is core, treasure wish lists, stat blocks, skill challenges. I know I am an exception, so actually I would just like WotC to support and update the 4E character builder for us non-OSR/non-Pathfinder weirdos.

Undrave

Legend
6E for me would be a revival and improving redaction of 4E. AEDU, paragon, epic, character builder, everything is core, treasure wish lists, stat blocks, skill challenges. I know I am an exception, so actually I would just like WotC to support and update the 4E character builder for us non-OSR/non-Pathfinder weirdos.

Oh I love 4E and the Powers and AEDU and keywords and distinct Power Sources and ALL the tactical stuff...

But I will admit it got really heavy at later levels. I could go for a lighter version. Like I mentioned earlier, one where your class stops at Paragon and your Paragon Path and then Epic Destiny provides new powers and maybe you even have to replace powers earlier (or stick with the previous ones, only they get a boost).

Hurin70

Adventurer

I've run quite a few groups through different editions of DnD for the first time, and I still think 4e is the best for new players. It gives everyone a moment in the spotlight and is remarkably easy to pick up.

I also liked the way it made martial characters fun to play (Warlord and Fighter in particular, but also Ranger too).

So I guess call me a wierdo too!

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I've run quite a few groups through different editions of DnD for the first time, and I still think 4e is the best for new players. It gives everyone a moment in the spotlight and is remarkably easy to pick up.

I also liked the way it made martial characters fun to play (Warlord and Fighter in particular, but also Ranger too).

The numbers say otherwise. And it's not even close.

Eric V

Hero

It's probably the most fun my group has ever had with D&D; hoping to repeat that with 13th Age.

I know most people assume there will be a 6e, but...I just don't think there will. The game now is the game as it will be. Maybe some variations (like how Risk has LotR Risk, different themes of Monopoly, etc.) but not a whole new edition; that would go against their stated goals.

I know most people assume there will be a 6e, but...I just don't think there will. The game now is the game as it will be. Maybe some variations (like how Risk has LotR Risk, different themes of Monopoly, etc.) but not a whole new edition; that would go against their stated goals.
It wouldn't be the first time that they abandoned their goals for the edition.

Remove ads