D&D accused of being satans game.

MinionOfCthulhu

First Post
Comedic Genius! (for my sanity I must pray that CHICK isn't remotely serious)

You give religious people far too much credit.

Hey, which part of "no religion" was unclear? You've just insulted a ton of people. Please don't make crass generalizations, particularly when it's about a topic that we prefer not to discuss at this site. Thanks ~ Piratecat

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightchilde-2

First Post
In Jr. High, before I ever started gaming, we had a discussion with our science teacher about D&D. Apparently, when she found her kids with some of those old monster cards (for 1e, IIRC), she burned them and all the windows and doors in her house blew open! Spooooooky stuff!

My parents, actually, got me into D&D. Then, a couple of years later, they decided it was Satanic and destroyed all my D&D books (forcing me to re-purchase them and keep them hidden). They didn't have a problem with me playing ANY OTHER RPG, as long as it wasn't D&D.

Shroomy

Adventurer
In middle school probably around 87-88, the father of one of my friend's was an evangelical preacher. He didn't approve of D&D and didn't want his son playing the game, but he never really hasseled me about it. I did hear all kinds of crazy rumors and stories about it though (ouija boards too).

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Yea, I dad still thinks like that from time to time. He doesn't say much often, but when he does, it really shows. One time when he visited, I had the witchcraft RPG right next to my computer to use as a reference (you know the one with the occult symbols and the word Witchcraft right on the front in big bold letters). He asked about it. I had to show him that it was a dice rolling game and not a book of actual satanic material.

But now I write for a sci-fi game so that makes it all better. (yea whatever, like calling it calling it a cybernetic implant vs calling it magic makes that much difference *shakes head*)

pawsplay

Hero
My mom confiscated my gaming stuff on a couple of occasions. When she treatened to burn them, I told her I would have no qualms about burning her books in retribution. So they remained in storage until I and my brother located them on one of many scouting missions.

Later on, I earned some money working for my step-dad. I was told I could spend my wages on whatever I wanted. My mother was afraid I was going to carry through on the blue hair dye concept, but instead I purchased a copy of GURPS. When I showed it to her, she looked downcast. She started to protest, but I said firmly, "You said I could spend it however I wanted." I was, oh, 13, I think. That was the end of the argument.

I have no idea whom my mother had been talking to. She and my father actually gave me the Companion Set for the Christmas after my 11th birthday. But after my parents divorced, my mother became convinced D&D was satanic, and once that became an unsupportable assertion, said that it would warp my mind and cause me to commit suicide. Eventually, I think my mom realized D&D was my only regular source of friends.

My younger brother followed in the trail I blazed. My youngest brother got into D&D for a while, and my mother actually started giving him D&D books as presents. My step-dad even made him a special gaming table with a 1" grid and pockets for miniatures.

You give religious people far too much credit.

Please be careful with generalizations. I've had lots of devoutly religious people in my groups (and am one myself). If memory serves, one of the frequent contributors to Dragon in the 80s, Arthur C. Collins I believe, was a protestant minister. He did some rather neat revisions of 1e psionics.

pawsplay

Hero
Please be careful with generalizations. I've had lots of devoutly religious people in my groups (and am one myself). If memory serves, one of the frequent contributors to Dragon in the 80s, Arthur C. Collins I believe, was a protestant minister. He did some rather neat revisions of 1e psionics.

And don't forget EGG himself.

Hereticus

First Post
Please be careful with generalizations. I've had lots of devoutly religious people in my groups (and am one myself).

I agree, most Christian gamers I've associated with realize that there is noting more satanic about D&D than anything else.

Also what should be remembered is that there is more than one religion out there.

Remove ads