D&D accused of being satans game.

alleynbard

First Post
funny, I've never come across anyone, christian or otherwise, who bought into this satans game business. Still, I never played in the 80s. I have had in my group a fundamentalist Christian, my wife follows the charismatic paths of Catholicism and so on. Yet they all put aside differences to pretend to be elves and kill the evil guy.

Lucky for you.

My mother and the pastor of my church publicly humiliated me in front of a Bible study group when I was a junior in high school. My books were confiscated (I had them hidden) and they were taken to be burnt. I had stuff in there from 1981 or so all the way to 1993.

The burning scene in the tract wasn't as far-fetched as it seems. Which is rather scary.

To this day the pastor of that church will preach about the evils of fantasy literature, D&D and Star Wars.

Ulrick

First Post
Lucky for you.

My mother and the pastor of my church publicly humiliated me in front of a Bible study group when I was a junior in high school. My books were confiscated (I had them hidden) and they were taken to be burnt. I had stuff in there from 1981 or so all the way to 1993.

The burning scene in the tract wasn't as far-fetched as it seems. Which is rather scary.

To this day the pastor of that church will preach about the evils of fantasy literature, D&D and Star Wars.

I similar thing happened to myself and my best friend back in high school.

Apparently, my best friend's parents played D&D before they became Christians. But once they became Christians, they stopped and became adamantly opposed to D&D based on literature like Jack Chick and what the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy say about mediums, sorcerers, and mediums. When I introduced my best friend to D&D in middle-school, he knew he would get into a lot of trouble so he had to hide what few books he had.

To put things in further perspective: HeroQuest was okay. My friend could buy and paint all kinds of D&D/fantasy miniatures to introduce to that game.
One time, when we played D&D at his place (with much risk) and his parents came home too soon. So we quickly plopped down the HeroQuest board and everything was fine--despite the D&D books being poorly hidden. :lol:

Anyway, my best friend kept his D&D hobby a secret for about three years. It all ended one summer when his mother cleaned his room and found his D&D stash. His parents took him out into the country and burned his books in a ditch while they prayed for his soul. They even burned HeroQuest and melted down all those minis.

They forbid him to be my friend until I stopped playing D&D. If they even suspected my best friend was over at my home, they would rally the family and surround the place until my friend would come out. Yes, there were times when he was there...and there were times when he wasn't but they would not believe me when I told them: because I was such a corrupting person.

Just so I could hang out with my friend again, I told them I wouldn't play D&D again. We didn't have any problems after that. But I didn't like making such a big lie either. :erm:

His own father (who conducted the burning), a little bit later, started a Star Wars RPG which my friend and I played in. So, I guess "the Force" was okay but "Magic" was not...

Edit: To add the part about burning HeroQuest and playing Star Wars.

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
Sorry if this has already been suggested, but why don't we resurrect the idea that D&D is satanic? Help WOTC's sales go through the roof again?
Worked last time.

Parlan

First Post
I'm sorry for all you guys who had bad experiences thanks to Dark Dungeons.

My parents/friends never really *got* my love for DnD/RPGs, but at least they allowed me to continue. I'm glad you all endured those experiences and are still posting on ENWorld!

DracoSuave

First Post
So, if you get the real magic at level 7 as a Cleric in 1st edition D&D, what is the level for 4th edition?

Or should that be moved to the rules forum....

ADDENDUM

So, when I was in high school I played D&D often. Very often. We weren't allowed to have a D&D club even tho we had the numbers to institute one (more than the Chess Club) because of religious pressure. They even wanted to put a stop to us playing during lunches. So I said 'Well, if D&D is satanic, that makes it a religious act, yes?' 'Um... but...' 'And religion is protected by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, yes?' 'Um... but...' 'And this school is a public school, and therefore a government agency, yes?' 'Yes...' 'Which means that it cannot by law descriminate against religion.' 'Fine. You can play your game. But you can't have a club, because it's not religious.' 'Glad you see things our way.'

My gramma (who raised me) was very disapproving of it, until I suggested we actually play at my place. She was opposed but I said 'Look. Just watch, see what happens. If you disapprove after that, I'll understand. But it's -not that bad.-'

So she did, and at one point, during an epic fight against a dragon, she bursts forth and says 'This isn't evil! You're just a bunch of NERDS!' and she walked away. After that she'd always bake us muffins and make cold-cut platters.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
Yeah, it's really disappointing. D&D was supposed to teach me how to cast curses and control people's minds and stuff. All it's taught me is how to sit around with a bunch of geeks and not get laid.

(Actually, D&D and other RPGs have provided me with an astonishing number of friends over the course of my life... pretty much all of my friends in college and after, I made by way of gaming or through gaming connections. But I still want to know how to cast charm person.)

Orius

Legend
Wow, this is like old news. I thought everyone knew D&D was the game of the Devil.

Unfortunately, everyone always made all the best comments. Stuff about Blackleaf, or how the group is apparently an unrealistic group of probably lesbian neopagans or something (that would be standard for Chick logic).

Besides, you know how many D&D players would WANT to be a part of that group?!

Anyway, I certainly can't blame Jack Chick, it's obvious he found a great market niche, there (assuming he actually manages to sell that stuff).

Oh the stuff sells. The biggest market are people how collect them to get a laugh out of them. I'd say I wonder what he would do if he knew about that, but the answer is obvious: he'd create a tract about it. Which would then be promptly snapped up by the collectors for fun. If it already hasn't happened (wouldn't surprise me AT ALL).

But I still want to know how to cast charm person.)

Domination is a much better spell, actually.

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
I stopped playing D&D after I watched this highly informative video which shows the truth about the game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHdXG2gV01k"]YouTube - An 8-Bit Reenactment of Dungeons and Dragons[/ame]

Remove ads