D&D = American + European Fantasy

Dungeons & Dragons draws on a rich mythology from the works of European authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Michael Moorcock. And yet D&D was also influenced by American authors like Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H.P. Lovecraft, and R.E. Howard. The end result is that D&D's tone sits somewhere between the two.

disney.jpg

Photo by Jorge Martínez on Unsplash
European Folklore

The bones of D&D have obvious roots in European myths and legends; we see it in the dwarves, elves, hobbits, and orcs of J.R.R. Tolkien and the fairies, giants, and dragons that are scattered throughout the Monster Manual. Colleen Gillard explains how British fantasy flourished by staying in touch with its pagan roots -- and was even influenced by the landscape:

Landscape matters: Britain’s antique countryside, strewn with moldering castles and cozy farms, lends itself to fairy-tale invention. As Tatar puts it, the British are tuned in to the charm of their pastoral fields...

But D&D has many influences, not the least of which are co-creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, who brought their own American sensibilities to the game. For a fantasy role-playing game that is distinctly European, look no further than Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, now in its Fourth Edition.

American Influences

American fantasy, like the Europeans, was influenced by its terrain:

America’s mighty vistas, by contrast, are less cozy, less human-scaled, and less haunted. The characters that populate its purple mountain majesties and fruited plains are decidedly real...

But perhaps the strongest difference is a sense of control over one's destiny. This belief, carried over with America's earliest settlers from Europe, reinforced that self-enrichment was a moral right, as outlined by Max Weber:

...Weber wrote that capitalism in Northern Europe evolved when the Protestant (particularly Calvinist) ethic influenced large numbers of people to engage in work in the secular world, developing their own enterprises and engaging in trade and the accumulation of wealth for investment. In other words, the Protestant work ethic was an important force behind the unplanned and uncoordinated emergence of modern capitalism.

No wonder then that Gygax strongly adhered to a leveling system in which heroes can rise to success through the accumulation of wealth at significant risk. This was how heroes like Conan, Fafhrd, and the Gray Mouser did it, and it draws on a long tradition of American folklore:

Popular storytelling in the New World instead tended to celebrate in words and song the larger-than-life exploits of ordinary men and women: Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Calamity Jane, even a mule named Sal on the Erie Canal. Out of bragging contests in logging and mining camps came even greater exaggerations—Tall Tales—about the giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan, the twister-riding cowboy Pecos Bill, and that steel-driving man John Henry, who, born a slave, died with a hammer in his hand. All of these characters embodied the American promise: They earned their fame.

Unlike in European fantasy where boys become kings (or in Harry Potter's case, orphans become wizards), characters in D&D aren't usually born heroes; the very nature of leveling systems and experience points ensures they earn it.

A Motley Mix

Adding these two influences together creates Dungeons & Dragons, a rich tapestry of fantasy that draws on the works of European authors and then throws in American sensibilities where the heroes are in control of their destiny -- or at least their skills and attributes.

For all their American influences, D&D heroes are still small in the weave of the world. In early D&D games, they died by the handfuls at the whim of dice, a lesson distinctly at odds with American determinism.

D&D has come full circle to influence the fantasy that created it. You can see its motley pedigree's fingerprints on sweeping fantasies like Game of Thrones. As the fantasy genre continues to flourish and the world becomes more interconnected, it seems likely that we'll see more works that draw on other cultures...D&D included.

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
There's essentially nothing to buy.

WotC decided it so desperately hated things like magic item economies or crafting they made these things essentially impossible. There's some mundane gear that's a bit expensive, such as full plate armor, but not all characters want that and once you have those, there's nothing else, really.

Which is why there are rules for mundane crafting, magical crafting, and buying and selling magic items right there in Xanathar's guide, of course.

No, they're not as granular as 3e... but they have a great deal of flexibility to them. To me, having random pricing and haggling for rare and exotic items, and potential complications with making them, is a lot more interesting than the set prices and procedures of 3e.

Derren

Hero
Unlike in European fantasy where boys become kings (or in Harry Potter's case, orphans become wizards), characters in D&D aren't usually born heroes; the very nature of leveling systems and experience points ensures they earn it.

Not sure that I agree with that.
Of course most PCs come from humble beginnings according to their background, but in nearly all editions of D&D they were already better just because they were PCs. Never was 1st level PC equal to an normal NPC.
Also, because of the very rigid leveling system it was pretty much guaranteed, in 4E even enforced, that they became heroes. Basically they were heroes from birth...

I do agree with the influence of westerns on D&D which was mentioned. Not only because of the episodic format of many early D&D adventures but also because of the general feel and structure. You have a peaceful town threatened by some armed "bullies", strangers come into town, kick the bullies out and resolve the situation, they get thanked and ride into the sunset. Thats the basic D&D template, especially when they tried to promote "points of light". The general lawlessness in D&D also reminds me of westerns. Where the PCs appear they are the boss. Government is mostly nonexistend and even where it is the PCs can do basically anything they want as most laws from real life except the most basic ones don't exist.
Also, the way people looked after their weapon in previous editions (and even now sometimes) has a very "cold dead hands" feel.

By the way, if you want a more European rpg try The Dark Eye (Das Schwarze Auge) from Germany. Although it has become a lot more international/american by copying D&D in later editions.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Which is why there are rules for mundane crafting, magical crafting, and buying and selling magic items right there in Xanathar's guide, of course.

XGtE was released over three years after the core books, which themselves have numerous categorical statements indicating that the authors didn't want anyone making anything or really even buying much of anything.

No, they're not as granular as 3e... but they have a great deal of flexibility to them. To me, having random pricing and haggling for rare and exotic items, and potential complications with making them, is a lot more interesting than the set prices and procedures of 3e.

True, they are out there, and there are some interesting bits, though they're very much written in a "don't bother" mode. Check out the costs for scribing scrolls, for instance. (I don't have the book in front of me to check, but recall it being super crazy expensive.)

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
XGtE was released over three years after the core books, which themselves have numerous categorical statements indicating that the authors didn't want anyone making anything or really even buying much of anything.

True, they are out there, and there are some interesting bits, though they're very much written in a "don't bother" mode. Check out the costs for scribing scrolls, for instance. (I don't have the book in front of me to check, but recall it being super crazy expensive.)

Well, I'm brand new to 5e, having just picked up the books after a 12 year hiatus from D&D. I'm also constrasting this with 2nd edition, which had no rules at all that I can recall from any book for buying and selling magic, extremely vague crafting rules, and rules for creating items that were contradictory and nearly impossible... I think 5e found a suitable middle ground.

Jay Verkuilen

Well, I'm brand new to 5e, having just picked up the books after a 12 year hiatus from D&D. I'm also constrasting this with 2nd edition, which had no rules at all that I can recall from any book for buying and selling magic, extremely vague crafting rules, and rules for creating items that were contradictory and nearly impossible... I think 5e found a suitable middle ground.
From that perspective, yeah, 5E looks better. 1E and 2E's creation rules were pretty strongly on the "don't bother" line, definitely. 3E got out of hand and 4E managed to make magic items both utterly necessary and very boring.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Not sure that I agree with that.
Of course most PCs come from humble beginnings according to their background, but in nearly all editions of D&D they were already better just because they were PCs. Never was 1st level PC equal to an normal NPC.

PCs not being equal to NPCs is a pretty new invention. It never used to be the case.

Jay Verkuilen

PCs not being equal to NPCs is a pretty new invention. It never used to be the case.

D&D has been highly inconsistent over the years on this but having different numbers for NPCs is far from new. In 1E there are NPC stats that are quite different than PCs, although many NPCs could have the same setup as a PC, too. For instance, most warriors were "men at arms" who had D8 hit dice, not a D10 like a fighter. The Sage was different, too. In 3E there were explicit NPC classes. In 4E NPCs either had monster stats or no stats at all.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
D&D has been highly inconsistent over the years on this but having different numbers for NPCs is far from new. In 1E there are NPC stats that are quite different than PCs, although many NPCs could have the same setup as a PC, too. For instance, most warriors were "men at arms" who had D8 hit dice, not a D10 like a fighter. The Sage was different, too. In 3E there were explicit NPC classes. In 4E NPCs either had monster stats or no stats at all.

If you look at an adventure from ADnD you can see the NPCs stated up as "Fighter 4" or "Druid 3".

Burne the most Worshipful Mage of Hommlet does not use monster stats, he is a Level 8 Wizard.

CapnZapp

Legend
Which did not exist for several years of the game's existence, of course.

For several years there was heaps and heaps of gold, and next to nothing to spend it on. Not opinion. Fact.

Anyway, the playing style where you go from one mission to the next with zero interest in guilds or castle-building is a playing style where the only things you want to buy are things that help you in the next dungeon.

In other words, magic items.

By the way, this is the playing style encouraged by most of the official hardbacks. When the clock is ticking you don't waste time on downtime.

Jay Verkuilen

If you look at an adventure from ADnD you can see the NPCs stated up as "Fighter 4" or "Druid 3".

Burne the most Worshipful Mage of Hommlet does not use monster stats, he is a Level 8 Wizard.

Right, as I said, D&D has been inconsistent, 1E in particular. You could see adventures which would have NPCs with standard class levels and others which didn't. Some would even mix. I just checked WG5: Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure, WG4: Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, and Desert of Desolation, which are the only 1E modules I have easy access to. They are mostly consistent as you say, but not completely and often you'd see just F6 with a hit point total, so very minimal information. The 1E DMG ("Hirelings and Henchmen", pp. 28-37) suggested only special hirelings had levels (such as sergeants and captains, who were fighters) or, of course, henchmen. I'm not sure that most NPCs really need a ton of stats, so this isn't necessarily bad, though I do think having some standard templates for skill checks would be helpful.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases