D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It isn't bungling.

It is something that doubles every 3 days and has a 20 day delay between measures and results.

How quickly it doubles is not an intrinsic property of the virus. It has to do with our response. What you were doing before, when, and after a given point matters.

And there is bungling involved. Because we had people who knew this would be a problem since January. We had people who knew what we'd need for testing, that we were going to need protective equipment, and ventilators, since that time. Failure to move on these things months ago constitutes bungling.

So when you see 2 deaths in a day, you have already locked in 250 deaths/day in 20 days

Not if you are prepared, and testing, and ready to respond. South Korea did not experience this - they were prepared, and responded appropriately.

Zardnaar

Legend
In the bungling thing I'll put it a different way

Would you rather be in New Zealand/Germany or USA/Italy/Spain right now?

Assuming you had the same lifestyle/job and roughly equivalent resources?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
How quickly it doubles is not an intrinsic property of the virus. It has to do with our response. What you were doing before, when, and after a given point matters.

And there is bungling involved. Because we had people who knew this would be a problem since January. We had people who knew what we'd need for testing, that we were going to need protective equipment, and ventilators, since that time. Failure to move on these things months ago constitutes bungling.

When most of the world are experiencing or going to experience what we did I don't think you can call it a bungling on our part.

Not if you are prepared, and testing, and ready to respond. South Korea did not experience this - they were prepared, and responded appropriately.

South Korea got ahead of the curve just in time. Another week and it would have been to late for them.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
In the bungling thing I'll put it a different way

Would you rather be in New Zealand/Germany or USA/Italy/Spain right now?

Assuming you had the same lifestyle/job and roughly equivalent resources?

Germany will be bad very soon IMO. Their case count cannot sustain their low deaths much longer.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Part of why you’re not seeing a big vector out of American groceries is that MOST of them aren’t really packed. In the grocery runs I’ve made so far*, there was only one day where it looked like a pre-holiday shopping day. All of the rest have been normal or even slow.

The shopping clubs like Sam’s and Costco are completely different. Lots of insanity in those.

* small suburb of Dallas; sample size of 4 groceries and a Farmers’ Market

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Part of why you’re not seeing a big vector out of American groceries is that MOST of them aren’t really packed. In the grocery runs I’ve made so far*, there was only one day where it looked like a pre-holiday shopping day. All of the rest have been normal or even slow.

The shopping clubs like Sam’s and Costco are completely different. Lots of insanity in those.

* small suburb of Dallas; sample size of 4 groceries and a Farmers’ Market

The grocery stores where I am have security guards counting how many are inside. 1 in 1 out.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not surprisingly, there’s been a big pushback on shelter in place orders (and similar edicts) from religious leaders all across the southern USA. Several governors have exempted places of worship from those orders, deeming them “essential”.

In contrast, one of the bright lights in Texas’s fight has been Dallas county’s commissioner (not our governor), who- upon receiving similar pushback, reached out to the larger religious communities- churches, synagogues, mosques, etc.- to see if the ones with deeper pockets and more advanced technological infrastructures would help their poorer, smaller brethren. So far, EACH ONE asked has volunteered their broadcasting/webcasting studios to enable the faithful of all denominations to receive ministry form their faith leaders without endangering themselves and others by compromising social distancing to practice their faith.

I’m hoping other local political and faith leaders can come to similar agreements, and soon. Otherwise, things are going to get very ugly very quickly down here.

Remove ads