• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

atanakar

Hero
Well, this is no good. Another reason why this thing is so prolific.

Not good news, but scientifically speaking, one study is not enough. Other scientist have to repeat the tests and check to see if there is no confirmation bias or if errors made. The other thing is the word «could» remain infectious. Meaning they are not sure yet.

We haven't been told that it's mandatory, but we have been told that "we should strongly consider working from home" unless we absolutely need to physically be present. A good portion of my department had already been mostly working from home out of convenience anyway.

And, as of Monday morning, my entire office is Working From Home.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We haven't been told that it's mandatory, but we have been told that "we should strongly consider working from home" unless we absolutely need to physically be present. A good portion of my department had already been mostly working from home out of convenience anyway.

For a while, the policy was, "if you don't feel comfortable coming in, feel free to work from home". Then, they sent the folks in the California office to work from home. Now, the Boston office is being told to stay home.

It isn't absolutely mandatory. You'll still be able to get into the office if you want to. So, if someone really can't work at home, they can technically come in. But we are being asked not to unless absolutely necessary.

it is an attempt to buy a thing to give you some sense of control.

True. I live in California, and since the principle natural disasters , (wildfires and earthquakes), are not events, that are accurately forecasted, (unlike a hurricane or blizzard ), ‘Panic Buying’ is not a regular occurrence.

Buying a 3 month supply of toilet paper, yields absolutely, zero sense of comfort or control, when the wildfire is across the street, or the 6.7 Earthquake is happening now.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Buying a 3 month supply of toilet paper, yields absolutely, zero sense of comfort or control, when the wildfire is across the street, or the 6.7 Earthquake is happening now.

It is commonly seen in New England, where in the wintertime we have "French Toast Alerts". Never mind that we almost never have a snowstorm so bad that you can't get to a grocery if you need to. Never mind that the groceries are only running short of bread, eggs, and milk because you are buying them up... you go out and buy bread, eggs, and milk anyway.

Then, two days later, when you realize you have too much of these things... you make french toast befor eit goes bad.

OB1

Jedi Master
I was going to write a long essay, but I realize that this is one place I probably don't need to do so.

Thank you EnWorld for being intelligent, thoughtful, and rational people.

You really don't know how rare that is out there. Or maybe you do, but in any event, I'm grateful anyway.

Just want to second this and say that on Monday, when I started reading this thread, I was of the mindset that Coronavirus was No Big Deal, something maybe a little worse than the flu that would blow over. I'd just been following the news on the surface, not digging into the issue on my own.

Thanks to the thoughtful discussion and fantastic links posted here, I now understand what the issue is and am taking appropriate action, including working with my partners at my small start up to move our office in CA to tele-work over the next few weeks.

So thank you EnWorld, this community really is the best. :love:

akr71

Hero
It is commonly seen in New England, where in the wintertime we have "French Toast Alerts". Never mind that we almost never have a snowstorm so bad that you can't get to a grocery if you need to. Never mind that the groceries are only running short of bread, eggs, and milk because you are buying them up... you go out and buy bread, eggs, and milk anyway.

Then, two days later, when you realize you have too much of these things... you make french toast before it goes bad.
I think I prefer my region's storm-buying habits. Preparing for Dorian last September, the longest lines I encountered were at the liquor store.
de-ADDER-BEER.jpg

that Coronavirus was No Big Deal,

The best advice is know your particular information, in relation, to what we know about the virus.

If you are over 60 and in poor health, maximally trying to minimize one’s chance of exposure might be prudent.

For those under 60, in reasonably good health, catching Covid 19, likely will mean a hacking, ‘non productive’ cough and High, (Think 102 to 103 degree), fever.

Gotta Play the Percentages, you have no choice! 🥳

Longspeak

Adventurer
If you are in one of the hotspots, what are you doing now? If you are under quarantine, how do you get your gaming fix on?
I'm in a hotspot. Well... the news says it's a hotspot, but mosly I see it as a fear spot. I, personally, am not affected. All my gaming is online. But my wife and son had to address this in their weekly Starfinder game this week. They decided they were not going to give in to the fear, but they would still be more cautious. So, game on, but no sharing food, no passing around a bag of chips, everyone uses their own dice, the GM moves all the pieces on the tactical board for you, etc. And anyone who's sick stays home. Usually the group doesn't care if someone has the sniffles, but for this time, they're zero tolerance.

Their setup is a living room with a lot of open space, low table in the center, so people can mostly stay three feet apart.

This group is the group I returned to D&D with, and if they were still playing D&D, I'd attend the game under those conditions.

akr71

Hero
Like @OB1 late last week, I was of the opinion that this was something happening elsewhere and that my remote corner of Canada would resist relatively unscathed. I still believe that is the likely outcome - I'm under 50 and my family is all in good health - but I would feel terrible if I ended up a carrier, spreading the virus to people in compromised health conditions, such as my in-laws. They wanted to take their grandkids for a few days next week - movies, the market, etc. Now, I think that would be a huge mistake.

Sure, I might miss out on an evening alone, just me and the mrs, but a slight inconvenience to me is surely worth the reduced risk to everyone involved.

To the question in the OP: We played (in person) last Friday, & we likely will again this Friday. After that, it might be time to hit the pause button. 5 of the 8 of us are co-workers, 2 more are spouses, the last is a neighbor. If any of us have been in contact with an infected person, I fear it is already too late. Our isolation of a rural community may be our saving grace.

Remove ads