D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But that's not the context of what is being said. Injecting your personal context isn't helpful.

Raising awareness of preventable deaths (through the annual flu vaccine, for example) is a laudable goal.

However, your added personal context shows exactly why this was said. As you yourself just acknowledged, the vast majority of people do not view the flu seriously. Therefore, when Covid19 is compared to the flu, it is not done so that everyone is like, "Hey, maybe we should get flu vaccines."

It is so people won't take it seriously. Like the flu.

So maybe instead of barking at doctors trying to save people from the misinformation they were fed, you can save a little of the personal context for the people the doctor was calling out who left so many unprepared.

Short version- I understand where you are coming from, but maybe not the time nor the place?
Not so much merely my contex, but more accurately, the context of another MD that I have internalized.

Repeating this:
Therefore, when Covid19 is compared to the flu, it is not done so that everyone is like, "Hey, maybe we should get flu vaccines."

It is so people won't take it seriously. Like the flu.

Depends on who is making the comparison and how. In this case, the good doctor is NOT making the comparison to minimize Covid-19, but to emphasize its comparative lethality.

In other cases, it is clearly done to show that the main measures to be taken to prevent/slow Covid-19’s spread are the same as for colds and flu- namely, washing hands, staying home when sick, etc.

As for time & place? This is a gaming forum, not a conference hosted by Lancet.

Sacrosanct

Legend
A very good article why looking at only the fatality rate and comparing to the flu is very very bad.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Why is this an argument, again?
and
It is more like - this thread is not really the place to argue over whether folks are miimizing or maximizing what when making comparisons to the flu. We arent' going to fix the messaging of people who aren't here, so... let's not argue over it, hm?
My last word on this tangent- honestly- is that had the doctor in question said “seasonal”, “average”, ”typical”, as the adjective, I wouldn’t have said a peep.

But a “bad” flu can be just as destabilizing and dangerous in its own way to the world as a less common but more inherently deadly affliction. It’s a risky turn of phrase in this context.

One of my gaming groups meets in Seattle, the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak. Someone in the group came in close contact with an individual who had coronavirus and is now self-quarantined. We cancelled the next session and it is unclear when the campaign will continue. There has been some discussion about switching to online sessions.

I do not live in Seattle and my local gaming group has continued to play as usual.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I know what I said earlier, and I stand by it. But in the interests of full disclosure:

This has been a mental whipsaw of an evening in the house tonight after my previous post. It’s Mom’s birthday today, but we’re planning on celebrating it this Saturday. But her cousin came over with a cake.

After cake, we- as a family & houseguest*- watched the POTUS make his address tonight. The convo then switched to “what to do”, with most of the important stuff being said between my aforementioned Dad MD and Mom’s cousin- also an MD.

An hour after Cousin MD left, I’m folding laundry while watching a recording of MST3K, and our houseguest announced her son was suggesting she fly down to his place**, where they’d seal themselves off for a couple of weeks. Houseguest was asking Mom for advice about whether she should go (despite hearing the MDs earlier discussion). Mom asked how she felt.

Houseguest is convinced that Covid-19 is nothing more than the regular annual flu- for which she hasn’t gotten a vaccination- and everything on the mainstream media is a hoax designed to prevent the re-election of DJT.***

I...said nothing and kept folding clothes. I have to say, sometimes, you really want those close to you to be much farther away.

* a close family friend we’ve known for decades who is down on her luck at the moment.

** while he could, before the economy collapsed and the airlines stopped flying

***which brings my count of people with that opinion to 3

Zardnaar

Legend
Was
I know what I said earlier, and I stand by it. But in the interests of full disclosure:

This has been a mental whipsaw of an evening in the house tonight after my previous post. It’s Mom’s birthday today, but we’re planning on celebrating it this Saturday. But her cousin came over with a cake.

After cake, we- as a family & houseguest*- watched the POTUS make his address tonight. The convo then switched to “what to do”, with most of the important stuff being said between my aforementioned Dad MD and Mom’s cousin- also an MD.

An hour after Cousin MD left, I’m folding laundry while watching a recording of MST3K, and our houseguest announced her son was suggesting she fly down to his place**, where they’d seal themselves off for a couple of weeks. Houseguest was asking Mom for advice about whether she should go (despite hearing the MDs earlier discussion). Mom asked how she felt.

Houseguest is convinced that Covid-19 is nothing more than the regular annual flu- for which she hasn’t gotten a vaccination- and everything on the mainstream media is a hoax designed to prevent the re-election of DJT.***

I...said nothing and kept folding clothes. I have to say, sometimes, you really want those close to you to be much farther away.

* a close family friend we’ve known for decades who is down on her luck at the moment.

** while he could, before the economy collapsed and the airlines stopped flying

***which brings my count of people with that opinion to 3

Cant fix stupid.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It’s mind boggling.

She trusted medical science to cure her cancer. But she doesn’t need flu vaccination and Covid19-19 is a hoax.

This may not directly relate specifically to the topic, but what I find mind boggling is the obsession with the testing kits and getting tested, like if you get tested once and it shows you not infected, that you will never get infected. Where does that idea even come from? I agree with the doctors who say that most everyone will get this, just like most everyone gets the flu or a cold, and thinking you are safe after just a single test is stupid.

Remove ads