D&D and the rising pandemic

Erik Tenkar, of Tenkar's Tavern, is in the ICU, isolation, and awaiting results from a CV test.

He believed he had a case of Con Crud from TotalCon in Massachusetts. Thought it was just an upper respiratory infection. Confirmed right now he has pneumonia in one lung.

We will see if it's Corona Virus.

Even if it is not COVID-19, pneumonia is bad news. I hope he has a swift recovery.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Erik Tenkar, of Tenkar's Tavern, is in the ICU, isolation, and awaiting results from a CV test.

He believed he had a case of Con Crud from TotalCon in Massachusetts. Thought it was just an upper respiratory infection. Confirmed right now he has pneumonia in one lung.

We will see if it's Corona Virus.

Well, crud. Thank you. I have some local fans I should inform...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think that you might have misunderstood the point of the quote. Context, in all things, matters. Or, put another way, while you might be technically correct (the BEST kind of correct), that wasn't what was being discussed.

Use this as an example-

"Why worry, it's just a cold."

I mean, a person could say that, given that "cold" is the name we give to several other coronaviruses that we collectively refer to as "getting a cold." But the use of that, while perhaps in some ways correct, is misleading.

With that in mind, let's look at what the doctor was referring to. One of the issues in Italy (as well as other places) is that people who desired for business to go on as usual kept telling people not to worry, it's just like "the flu," or at worse, "a bad flu." The reason that someone would refer to it in this way is it allowed people to put it in the context of something that isn't harmful, and that they experience on an annual basis. "Oh yeah, the flu. Well, that's not great, but whatever, it happens every year. No need to panic over the flu." Because that's the association most people have- what they experience on a yearly basis.

So when the doctor said this isn't like the flu (bad or otherwise), he was speaking to those who had been told not to worry- it's just a bad flu. Like happens every year. That was what he was saying. It's not just a "bad flu."

Which brings up two separate points:

A. Yes, the Spanish Flu was terrible. Historically terrible. But there is no one alive who remembers how terrible it was. That's not a useful comparator. And sometimes the flu can be exceptionally, pandemically bad (not just "bad"). My father used to tell me about the '57 flu, and how going to college was like going to a ghost town. It was no Spanish Flu, but it was pretty terrible. Again, though, context matters. People who are comparing it to the flu (or a bad flu, even) aren't trying to trigger memories of the Spanish Flu! They are trying to minimize the severity of the issue.*

B. There are several related issues with Covid19 that are also dangerous when it spreads unchecked. Among these are the issues that it presents in many ways in a similar manner to flu and/or cold (when both are still circulating) and that it will overwhelm hospital capacity and/or health care workers; for the issue of health care capacity, it isn't just the immediate problems caused by Covid19, there are the other, separate issues of other health care issues that either won't be, or can't be treated in a timely manner.

Now, all of that said, I want to reiterate the point I made at the beginning. I am not an authority on any of this. Please pay attention to trusted health authorities in your area and not to random people on the internet and facebook.

Stay safe. :)

*Whether correctly, to reduce panic and put it in perspective, or incorrectly and dangerously, is an exercise for others to decide.
I understood the point. I understand the context.

But minimizing the flu as a comparison is NOT a good thing. MY context is that I grew up the son of an MD who complains annually of the preventability of the worst flu outcomes. When you minimize the flu, people don’t hear that it’s LESS dangerous, they hear that it isn’t dangerous at all. I can’t tell you how many people I know personally who routinely eschew flu vaccinations. They’re not anti vaxxers, they just don’t think it’s worth their time.

Even though its fatality rate is orders of magnitude lower than any of the recently emergent coronaviruses, people forget that flu still kills a lot people, and its lower fatality rate is largely due to vaccines and public health measures that help contain its spread. The H1N1 outbreak of 2009 infected 700m-1bn people and killed @580,000 worldwide.

Its danger lies in its ubiquity and the tyranny of statistics...but its still dangerous,

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I understood the point. I understand the context.

But minimizing the flu as a comparison is NOT a good thing. MY context is that I grew up the son of an MD who complains annually of the preventability of the worst flu outcomes. When you minimize the flu, people don’t hear that it’s LESS dangerous, they hear that it isn’t dangerous at all. I can’t tell you how many people I know personally who routinely eschew flu vaccinations. They’re not anti vaxxers, they just don’t think it’s worth their time.

Even though its fatality rate is orders of magnitude lower than any of the recently emergent coronaviruses, people forget that flu still kills a lot people, and its lower fatality rate is largely due to vaccines and public health measures that help contain its spread. The H1N1 outbreak of 2009 infected 700m-1bn people and killed @580,000 worldwide.

Its danger lies in its ubiquity and the tyranny of statistics...but its still dangerous,
I'm definitely guilty of not getting my flu shot. last year was the first time I even bothered, I should really get mine now even though we're on the brink of spring.

I think a lot of people also don't understand that if Covid-19 reaches the levels of influenza a lot more people will die than there already are. like that's what we're trying to prevent right now.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yep! Last I checked, we don’t have much success making vaccines for coronaviruses- hello, common cold!- so public health measures are our main line of defense.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yep! Last I checked, we don’t have much success making vaccines for coronaviruses- hello, common cold!- so public health measures are our main line of defense.

Migal Galilee out of Israel looks to be close to a vaccine. They had been working on an adaptable viral vaccine for four years (had an avian coronavirus Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV) vaccine from it) and were already on track to be ready for testing near now, and they seem pretty confident it's adaptable to this virus.

Celebrim

Legend
I was going to write a long essay, but I realize that this is one place I probably don't need to do so.

Thank you EnWorld for being intelligent, thoughtful, and rational people.

You really don't know how rare that is out there. Or maybe you do, but in any event, I'm grateful anyway.

Remove ads