• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
While several epidemiologists have predicted a high probability of a second wave of Covid-19, they seemed to be mostly talking about previously uninfected people falling ill.

However, there’s another wrinkle just recently coming to light: people who were recovering are testing positive again.

As the article states, they don’t know yet WHY this is happening. Some could be false positive tests, but not all, since some of the Re-infected are displaying symptoms. Some could be false recoveries. Some could be re-infections, possibly by other strains, or demonstrating that infection-based immunity to Covid-19 is vanishingly brief. Least likely, but still possible, is something seen in non-coronaviruses, namely going dormant for a while then re-emerging.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
While several epidemiologists have predicted a high probability of a second wave of Covid-19, they seemed to be mostly talking about previously uninfected people falling ill.

However, there’s another wrinkle just recently coming to light: people who were recovering are testing positive again.

As the article states, they don’t know yet WHY this is happening. Some could be false positive tests, but not all, since some of the Re-infected are displaying symptoms. Some could be false recoveries. Some could be re-infections, possibly by other strains, or demonstrating that infection-based immunity to Covid-19 is vanishingly brief. Least likely, but still possible, is something seen in non-coronaviruses, namely going dormant for a while then re-emerging.

Maybe they caught the flu and now have a false positive test?

Zardnaar

Legend
60 k seems more accurate to me, which is Vietnam war level.

The only pattern seems to be 3-4 weeks of peak death toll. Even if the government does nothing people hide.

3-5 months to burn out.

Projections we have here.

1. Strict lockdown over in about June. Low fatalities, over sooner. More economic pain short term (we have 60% workforce at home).

2. Herd immunity plan more death, burns out faster but not as fast as 1.

3. Half assed lockdown. Less fatalities than 2 won't be over until near end of year.

Doesn't include wave 2 or 3 if there's more.

Zardnaar

Legend

Seen that.

Doomsday case
As worst case Covid mutates becomes more lethal

Worst case.
Covids recurring, no vaccine

Less bad
Covids recurring, eventual vaccine

Best case.
Covid burns itself out, vaccine quicker than anticipated.

Anyone who had it needs to be isolated until vaccine is developed. Some authoritarian regimes would have another cheaper option.

Bad, worse, awful pick one.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe they caught the flu and now have a false positive test?
AFAIK, while the symptoms may similar enough to prompt a retest, flu won’t give you a false positive.

False positive readings in the previously infected could result from inescapable flaws in the test, from the particular test used actually being defective in some way, or being so sensitive that it’s detecting the presence of the virus from the aftermath of the infection.

FrogReaver

AFAIK, while the symptoms may similar enough to prompt a retest, flu won’t give you a false positive.

False positive readings in the previously infected could result from inescapable flaws in the test, from the particular test used actually being defective in some way, or being so sensitive that it’s detecting the presence of the virus from the aftermath of the infection.

I didn't claim flu would give a false positive. I said they could have flu while also getting a false positive. 2 independent actions...

FrogReaver

I'm not gonna worry until we have more info. I'll file it with the cat thing.

Not worried about cats either. If they can get it then they get it much less severely/frequently than humans do.

Not worried about less than 100 people that appear to have gotten it again. When nearly 1.7 million cases have been discovered, the possibility of 100 people getting it again could have so many explanations.
1. Different virus with a false positive coronavirus test.
2. something special about those people allowed them to actually get it again but that doesn't apply to most people.
3. Test is so sensitive it's picking up inactive virus still in their bodies.

IMO Give it at least a few thousand people getting it again before I start getting worried that this virus will have an extremely short immunity period.

Remove ads