D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
I found this interview with Professor Johan Giesecke, one of the world’s most senior epidemiologists, advisor to the Swedish Government very interesting.

Best question he asked: what is the exist strategy to the lockdowns?

Varies by country. Our one is to wipe Covid out. YMMV.

Zardnaar

Legend
Assume you do wipe it out in your country. Do you think you can keep it out of your country forever? Or is it mass lockdown every time it resurfaces?

The borders are closed. Only people who can get in are residents and citizens mandatory quarantines.

Assuming you can even get a flight.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The borders are closed. Only people who can get in are residents and citizens mandatory quarantines.

Assuming you can even get a flight.
I propose that NZ appoint a civilian position- The Ripley- whose job it is to oversee the admission of people into the country.
1587718563533.jpeg

Ripley : Wait a minute. If we let it in, the ship could be infected. You know the quarantine procedure. Twenty-four hours for decontamination.

Dallas : He could die in twenty-four hours. Open the hatch.

Ripley : Listen to me, if we break quarantine, we could all die.

Zardnaar

Legend
What happens when the borders stopped being closed?

The borders are closed indefinitely until there's a vaccine.
Freight can still get in. The tourism industry has ceased to exist.

Put it this way if I was married to an American I couldn't get her into the country. If she had residency and could get a flight somehow she could get in.

You can theoretically get in if you are qualified in a very narrow range of fields.

A few flights gave also gotten in to pick up people no arrivals though except for a trickle of citizens.

Hussar

Legend
The borders are closed indefinitely until there's a vaccine.
Freight can still get in. The tourism industry has ceased to exist.

Put it this way if I was married to an American I couldn't get her into the country. If she had residency and could get a flight somehow she could get in.

You can theoretically get in if you are qualified in a very narrow range of fields.

A few flights gave also gotten in to pick up people no arrivals though except for a trickle of citizens.

You seriously believe your country will keep its borders closed for 2-4 years? Because that's the likely timeline for a viable vaccine. Never minding actually producing, distributing and administering it. And, how do you figure that freight is getting in, but not people? Someone's gotta drive that boat.

Zardnaar

Legend
You seriously believe your country will keep its borders closed for 2-4 years? Because that's the likely timeline for a viable vaccine. Never minding actually producing, distributing and administering it. And, how do you figure that freight is getting in, but not people? Someone's gotta drive that boat.

The boat crews aren't allowed to disembark.

I've worked at the port locally. With cranes etc you don't have to get that close to people. Everything is in container's. Cruise ships were banned pre lockdown.

Bored. Draw a Kiwi.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"New York State Governor Cuomo said that preliminary findings from an antibody study conducted on 3,000 people at grocery stores across New York State found a 13.9% had coronavirus antibodies, suggesting a 13.9% actual infection rate statewide...

Oh, you who like questioning methodologies, should note...

They only tested people who were out and about at grocery stores. Selection bias is one of the most basic issues of statistical sampling.

Remove ads