D&D and the rising pandemic

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think a lot of Canadians are that way.

I think that's exactly it. Whatever we think of our politicians, we can tell right away if they're listening to doctors, and if they are (which they seem to be), then we will follow what they say. Heck, I know a lot of Canadians who aren't sure that what we're doing is the best thing, but we'll follow doctor's orders anyway because why would you assume you know more than a doctor? Most of us aren't arrogant enough to think we know everything.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I think that's exactly it. Whatever we think of our politicians, we can tell right away if they're listening to doctors, and if they are (which they seem to be), then we will follow what they say. Heck, I know a lot of Canadians who aren't sure that what we're doing is the best thing, but we'll follow doctor's orders anyway because why would you assume you know more than a doctor? Most of us aren't arrogant enough to think we know everything.

95121113_10221773140493343_6937798992650567680_n.jpg

NotAYakk

Legend
New York State has completed 15 000 randomized antibody tests.

12.3% came back positive. 12.3% of the population is 2.4 million. There have been 24 000 reported deaths. That makes a death rate of 1% though the CDC thinks the real death rate is likely 36 000 so maybe up to 1.5%.

I think that is about where people thought it would be. Then consider that overwhelming the healthcare system would result in a much higher death rate both of COVID 19 and other illnesses and we can see the disaster of the 'let it burn' strategy.

50-70% of the population needs to be immune for herd immunity if I remember correctly so they still have a far way to go (and we don't actually know what sort of immunity being exposed will provide).

57% of people surveyed were white and 7% of them came back with a positive test. That means that white people in New York State are contracting the virus at half the rate of non-white people.

So that's important to look into.

So NYC is ~20% infected. And we are undercounting Covid-19 deaths by about 1/3 (so 50% more die than the official stats). (NYC deaths * 1.5) / (NYC population * .2) is 1.2%.

Similar numbers show up in parts of Italy where they think almost everyone was infected -- about 1% death rate.

If herd immunity is at around 50% infected, that is 330 million / 2 * 1% or 1.65 million dead Americans. Of which about a million actually get diagnosted with Covid-19.

At a lifecycle of 7 days and an R0 of 2, going from 1 million active infected to 165 million infected takes about two months. Herd immunity is mostly zilch until you hit double-digit percents infected, so we can neglect that.

Herd immunity stops the disease from accelerating at around 1/(R0-1) immune. But it only causes the disease spread to seriously shrink at around twice that.

Get R0 down to 1.2 and have 50% immune and you end up with 0.6, or each active case spreads to another 1.5 people; you'll note that if 25% of the population are actively infected at that point, that means the virus grows to about 80% infected (50%+25%*1.5) even though it is "stopped"; if your disease was growing super-fast as you approach 50% immune, herd immunity isn't usually enough to stop it; but if there are people who are avoiding infection, they get infected less, and herd immunity can make the more exposed people stop feeding it.

So a herd immunity plan is to make it spread, and when about the millionths US citizen dies you have hit about 33% infected. At that point, restart some measures, this time boosted by herd immunity. Dead keep piling up and approach 2 million, but decelerate as (a) piles of corpses make people take social distancing more seriously, (b) herd immunity makes half-assed measures more effective, as front-line workers get culled earlier.

And plenty of jobs for mass-grave diggers. Got a backhoe license?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

But what could reemergence actually look like in this particular sect of personal care? Since March, Council, an Aveda expert and educator of more than 30 years, has been participating in advisory-board meetings to determine a plan. The primary rules for the Van Michael salons are as follows: Salon volume will be kept at a minimum of 50%, with stylists working at every other station at least six feet apart. Before entry, clients will wait outside and have temperatures checked. Once inside, all stylists will be wearing plastic shields and masks, while clients are required to wear masks. Belongings must be limited to a phone and form of payment—no handbags. Regarding services, there will be no blow-drying to avoid an airflow of germs, and that will also cut down on in-salon time.

If rules like this become the norm, prepare to see a LOT more black women protesting.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"A Trump administration model projects a rise in the number of coronavirus cases and deaths in the weeks ahead, up to about 3,000 daily deaths in the U.S. by June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times."

Zardnaar

Legend
See also the POTUS’ stretched but not totally off-base metaphor about us being “at war” with the coronavirus.

Imagine how hard it would have been to win WW1, WW2 or any other major conflict if the people- ESPECIALLY the military- didn’t follow orders.

A picture I WON’T post from one of the protests contains a counterprotester displaying a hilarious slogan that violates ENWorld’s ToS. The gist: if you think gov’t orders mandating the wearing of masks in public is unconstitutional, the pan so is ANY law forcing people to be clothed. Ergo, protest naked.

Man had a point.

Or PM invoked the war years. All in this together, team of 5 million, picture of or equivalent of FDR.

Things are opening up. Level 3 for a week. They sold 5 weeks worth of takeaway, wife run off her feet at her freight company.

Level 2 most things will be allowed to open with limits on capacity. Still not looking good for things like movie theaters, concerts etc. That might be next week. With cases falling to 0-3 per day and most people recovered it appears contained.

No gamestore. One was closing down anyway new one didn't open.

Economics wise they did a wage subsidy. They paid 500 sonething a week conditional on companies not laying off staff and paying them 80% of their normal pay.

They hired out hotel rooms for the homeless and cleared the streets and organized food deliveries. Government funded foodbanks.

Also 0% loans for small business. A lot won't make it espicially tourism, hospitality. They're talking up domestic tourism but that's a placebo effect.

Also looking at expanding the bubble of our borders so Australia and Pacific Islands might be available.

Apparently pneumonia sample from December 27 has been analyzed in Europe was actually Covid. I thought locking down in early February was required but probably to late.

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
"A Trump administration model projects a rise in the number of coronavirus cases and deaths in the weeks ahead, up to about 3,000 daily deaths in the U.S. by June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times."

There it is.

Yeah, it is taken from this site:

The one just a couple weeks ago said there would be 60k deaths. I think their new estimate of 134k is around where the previous worst case scenario was.

Well at least they have updated to something which is more in line with what other models are saying.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Models are based off of assumptions about behavior. Change behavior, change the model results.

Right but when a model is far off of every other model and that is the model that the government is using and advertising it is a bit worrisome I think.

Remove ads