D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
Which, (IMHO), is terrible for the person in debt. They are just being offered a deeper hole to step into, and are being handed the shovel to dig it.
The loan holders, if they were truly sharing the pain, would offer at least some non-trivial relief.
Be Safe, Be Well,
Tom Bitonti

Interest rates are very low. Good thing about depressions is interest rates and inflation tend to be low.

Money printer go brrrrrrr can inflate or devalue things a bit. Or money's fallen slightly due to this.

Every government that's sane is probably going to be making brrrrrrr noises.

Decade of debt. So far. Our debt ratio was a lot lower than USA though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That all depends on what the goal is.

If the goal is to help the majority of people then no it's not working well.

If the goal is to help the wealthy then it is working as planned.
I stand by what I said- only helping the wealthy is NOT a recipe for rapid economic recovery.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

So, no, not "just fine". Better than we are? Probably.

Here's the thing, again - EN World has a No Politics rule. So, discussion of exactly why we do what we do can only go so far. You want to discuss it further than that, you'll have to do so on another site. I'm sorry.

The wealthy losing money isn't something I care about.

This is like the paradoxical notion that automation eliminating jobs is a bad thing.

It's only a bad thing because the owners are able to profit more off of it. If we instead used the additional labour provided by the automatons for the benefit of the people it wouldn't be a problem.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Note that the European way of handling has been sort of supply side - pay the employers to keep employees on the payroll. The trick is to control how that money is used, rather than to hand a company cash to use as the stockholders and executives want.
Which is why I specified Arthur Laffer’s version, which is predicated on tax cuts for businesses and wealthy. Tax cuts, of course, being inherently without control & oversight. But Laffer’s theory can work ONLY when taxation is so high that it is on the right side of the bell curve. (Notably, no research has EVER been done on the actual shape of Laffer’s curve, so nobody has any idea if it’s even symmetrical.)

Some of the arch-capitalists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries did exactly the same thing European supply side programs do. Henry Ford, for instance, paid above-average wages to his employees in part to grow the market for his own products. Employees with decent salaries would be more likely to buy all kinds of things, including cars. And those who didn’t buy cars would still spend money, some of which would end up in the hands of prospective car buyers.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The wealthy losing money isn't something I care about.

This is like the paradoxical notion that automation eliminating jobs is a bad thing.

It's only a bad thing because the owners are able to profit more off of it. If we instead used the additional labour provided by the automatons for the benefit of the people it wouldn't be a problem.
It’s also a bad thing for certain individual workers. Like someone who is in the later stages of their working life and would find retraining for a new job difficult or impossible. Especially if they’re not in a good position to retire.

It could also be disastrous in areas where the local economy is not diversified.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It’s also a bad thing for certain individual workers. Like someone who is in the later stages of their working life and would find retraining for a new job difficult or impossible. Especially if they’re not in a good position to retire.

It could also be disastrous in areas where the local economy is not diversified.

Not if the people are supported.

The job is still getting done.

The idea that a person needs to be punished because work is no longer required is ridiculous.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Which, (IMHO), is terrible for the person in debt. They are just being offered a deeper hole to step into, and are being handed the shovel to dig it.
The loan holders, if they were truly sharing the pain, would offer at least some non-trivial relief.
Be Safe, Be Well,
Tom Bitonti
I have a student loan. I got a letter in the mail telling me my payments and interest had been stopped (both) until October so I did not have to pay. When I went to the lender's website to check on making a payment anyways - I am converted to work-from-home - it wanted to argue me out of doing so. As if the lender figured out that payments made during the no-interest period would mean a smaller principal balance later and therefore less interest income to them in the future, plus I would finish paying it all off sooner.

Remove ads