D&D and the rising pandemic

Hussar

Legend
Starting 3rd week of schools being opened. Had a couple of cases in the province over the weekend, and something like 30 in Tokyo. Seems to be under control.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Other preventable diseases spreading due to Covid.
Back around again to 'making hard choices and addressing competing demands' but this time the options are clearly 'some people die from X' or 'some people die from Z' with no room for 'but your concerns are on an altogether lesser plane than mine'. Ouch.

Zardnaar

Legend
Back around again to 'making hard choices and addressing competing demands' but this time the options are clearly 'some people die from X' or 'some people die from Z' with no room for 'but your concerns are on an altogether lesser plane than mine'. Ouch.

Said this long time ago. Bad, worse, awful.

It's often not the pandemic that gets you but when everything else breaks. Happened with Spanish Flu, Black Death, Justinian and Antoine plague.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
The risk, of course, isn't really to the people who go to the rally, you know.

Statistically speaking - if you get covid-19, someone else dies. Say you get it - you probalby won't need to go to the hospital, and if you do go to the hospital, you will proably survive. But, if you get it, with an R0 somewhere over 2, you will probably give it to a few people, and they will give it a few people each... and after a couple steps of that, statistically speaking, someone dying becomes a nigh certainty.

So, statistically speaking, if you get covid-19, you are likely to be the cause of someone's death. You will probably not know this person, or ever know they got sick, but they will die, regardless.

I agree. My comment was pretty tongue-in-cheek.

These people ARE out there though. And they will not be going away or distancing. While personal responsibility seems to be a part of American culture, an increasing amount of people put that onus on the other person being the responsible one. So being aware of that fact and staying away from anyone you know that has been part of a protest, gathering, or rally is a good call right now.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Brief report; United States, touristy area, rising numbers.

I drove around Saturday night to get a feel for how things were going. The bars were packed. No social distancing. While the waitstaff and employees wore masks, almost none of the tourists/patrons were wearing masks. Streets were crowded, saw people drunk everywhere, some people out cold from the booze on the street (~9pm).

I am not feeling very good about the future.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I saw an interview recently with a doctor who said at this point the virus is there to stay in the US until there is a vaccine.

He said that it's too late for containment via testing and contact tracing in many areas.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I saw an interview recently with a doctor who said at this point the virus is there to stay in the US until there is a vaccine.

And I saw a piece in the news today about how folks got the Mayan Calendar thing all wrong, and really the world is going to end on June 21, 2020!!!1! It quoted tweets from a scientist.

Except, the twitter account in question doesn't exist. The scientist, apparently, also doesn't exist. The given analysis was wrong in two ways, but the whole mess got published anyway.

Which is to say "an interview" from "a doctor" doesn't mean much.

Is the disease going to be obliterated before we get a vaccine? Probably not, since we have only ever verifiable eradicated two diseases in recorded history. We wouldn't expect Covid-19 to miraculously be the third.

Will it be keeping us paralyzed trying to control it? That's a different question.

Remove ads